PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign former Jet LB David Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about this signing, the more excited I become. If all goes well:
  • 19-0
  • SBMVP - Brady
  • League MVP - Brady
  • DPOY - Gillmore
  • OPOY - Cooks
  • All-Pro First Team - 14 of the 22 "starters"
  • The new ring starts a trend of weighing them in pounds, not karats
Opening night, 2018, a new banner is raised. All 6 trophies, plus all 6 rings, PLUS all season/SB awards are on display at mid-field for the ceremony.

The crowd is chanting. In the owner's box, Roger Goodell is fuming behind his fake smile. Patriots greats, past and present, are on the field.

The mass of the awards and rings, coupled with the near-cultish chanting of the Foxborough Faithful and the immense gravity of the night cause a rend in space and time - and thus Cthulu is born again.

Belichick then signs him for 5 years / $48 million with $25 guaranteed to play NT. To quote the hooded one - "He's got good bulk, he really eats up the double-teams."
Easy friend. Easy. It's only June.

This chart is misleading anyway. When all is said and done the sum of the cap hits for every player is equal to the sum of the cash paid. The Patriots will spend to the cap (they roll money over, but they never let it go away), so that means over the long run, the Patriots spend EXACTLY what most of the teams spend.

It is true the Patriots borrow against future caps less often than some teams and have less dead money than some teams -- but the long run total spent is almost exactly the same as everyone else.

Aaron Hernandez was literally DEAD money for a couple of years there.......

The more I think about this signing, the more excited I become. If all goes well:
  • 19-0
  • SBMVP - Brady
  • League MVP - Brady
  • DPOY - Gillmore
  • OPOY - Cooks
  • All-Pro First Team - 14 of the 22 "starters"
  • The new ring starts a trend of weighing them in pounds, not karats
Opening night, 2018, a new banner is raised. All 6 trophies, plus all 6 rings, PLUS all season/SB awards are on display at mid-field for the ceremony.

The crowd is chanting. In the owner's box, Roger Goodell is fuming behind his fake smile. Patriots greats, past and present, are on the field.

The mass of the awards and rings, coupled with the near-cultish chanting of the Foxborough Faithful and the immense gravity of the night cause a rend in space and time - and thus Cthulu is born again.

Belichick then signs him for 5 years / $48 million with $25 guaranteed to play NT. To quote the hooded one - "He's got good bulk, he really eats up the double-teams."
What's a Cthulu?

all jets fans
giphy.gif

This is a nice chart by Hill . and a nice effort on new D possibilities:
Resetting the Patriots defensive depth chart after the addition of LB David Harris

upload_2017-6-22_2-28-43.png

Since speed was brought up in this thread . we can see it here in a wider context of a D as a whole (bearing in mind games like DEN '15, BUF w4, ATL, SEA etc.).

While speed was possibly not added to LB unit in a way of acquiring a fast linebacker (although the improvement of Roberts, usage of Rivers and potential addition of Langi/Bates could change this notion) Pats did add significant speed (quickness, burst) to the D as a whole.

Lombardi likes to say that D plays as fast as the LB unit . but in hybrid formations w versatile players that might be different.

Lateral speed and LB coverage in open space were liabilities last year. Adding individual speed to all other “units“ can and Im sure will help a lot. Put Ealy or Rivers instead of Ninko (which is more realistic anyway) in the above chart, JJ as slot CB, keep High outside, move Guy to the line (still underrated signing IMO) and suddenly you have plenty of speed in “front 7“ while still keeping the run D honest (note that Rivers is good against the run . JJ I expect as well). Knowing that DB unit will be faster as well w Gilmore (and possibly JJ) can give some additional boost to the front.

So looking forward to this D and all the different looks..
__

Here again nice video intro to Pats 2017 line from Edge Hermanos:

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-22_2-30-38.png
    upload_2017-6-22_2-30-38.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I like this signing, if for no reason it will make interesting TC competition.. he will make this team unless he gets injured.

Speed was a factor in SB LI when the Pats fell behind, Harris will not make that better, but his knowledge of the game and leadership is welcome..

Harris (with Hightop) is so perfect for our 4-2-5 alignments. I love this signing, even though Harris has a lot of miles on him. He won't be used as much as he was with the Jetes so he'll be fresh when it's playoffs time and he can go balls out every snap he's on the field.

solid signing! Welcome to the real "Title-Town" Mr. Harris!

For anyone who enjoyed the Jets Super Bowl thread, just google game threads generally for that game...MANY out there--Cowboys, Pittsburgh, on and on. All very enjoyable.

Yes, I admit it was a hobby of mine for awhile. I'm not ashamed.

Bruschi touches some important off-field points as well:
Why Tedy Bruschi is high on Patriots bringing aboard LB David Harris

quote:

“When you’ve won a couple championships in the last few years now, you get some players that maybe get a little complacent. You bring in a veteran that hasn’t won a championship, and [others] can look at someone who has played 10 years in the league, that’s hungry, that is a true professional, and is a good 'backer room guy and in the locker room. The hard work he’s going to do to still get that championship, it can remind some of these younger players that have been so beneficial to the success [the Patriots] have had: ‘I have to work like that, I have to continue to work like that.’ And maybe they have some motivation to get Harris his championship.”

Over the course of my career there, there were multiple players brought in, although championships were already won: Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Junior Seau. You get rejuvenated by seeing a veteran player who wants to come and you know he wants that championship. So, you know what, ‘let’s get this for Moss, for a Dillon, for a Seau ... because this guy has a lot of tread on the tires but he’s still playing hard, still great effort out there, he’s trying to lead us.'

“So it might be refreshing for Hightower, in my opinion. Because having not all on him on first and second down, for David Harris to help him and take some of that mental burden off him, that’s going to help him. …

Here are some thoughts. Sorry if I am redundant to others.

• Harris is a good value signing. He isn't the player he was, but he can be a solid two down LB. He can play close to the box, but can get burnt in coverage.
  • Harris is a savvy veteran with solid leadership experience. He can help some of the younger guys develop.
  • As much I would say the Jets will regret cutting him, I really can't. Even if he wins the Super Bowl this year, the Jets were bottom dwellers (not just as people, but rankings in the League) with or without him.
  • Speaking about if Harris wins the Super Bowl, how funny would it be that two of the best Jets players of the last 20 years both won their only Super Bowl rings as Patriots?
  • I always knew that the second I heard that Harris was cut that he would eventually be a Patriot. I figured he would wait until camp started to avoid some of the double sessions (glad he didn't), but it was a no brainer. The Pats could use an experience LB and Harris probably only has one or two years to get a ring.

95 tackles in 15 games. Not bad for a used to be nice player!

I have absolutely no idea how Harris was last year to be honest. I said used to because I know at the very least he used to be a nice player. Maybe he was last year, I'm not really sure (these are usually things I would know but he kind of fell off the radar). The only thing I can knock him on is that no one was in a rush to sign him. I wonder why, but nobody wanted Rodney Harrison either, so I'll take my "knock" as a grain of salt

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. He's a solid starter. The only question in my mind is if his game is slipping now that he's 33 but his contract seems to indicate Belichick thinks he can still play.

I have absolutely no idea how Harris was last year to be honest. I said used to because I know at the very least he used to be a nice player. Maybe he was last year, I'm not really sure (these are usually things I would know but he kind of fell off the radar). The only thing I can knock him on is that no one was in a rush to sign him. I wonder why, but nobody wanted Rodney Harrison either, so I'll take my "knock" as a grain of salt
do we really know that, though? supposedly he spoke to five other teams before meeting with belichick and ultimately signing with the patriots. maybe harris just wanted to take his time and make sure he ended up in the right situation.

Here are some thoughts......................the Jets were bottom dwellers (not just as people, but rankings in the League) with or without him.........................

Nice, should be added to your sig.

do we really know that, though? supposedly he spoke to five other teams before meeting with belichick and ultimately signing with the patriots. maybe harris just wanted to take his time and make sure he ended up in the right situation.
Good point. Didn't think of it that way. Kinda just assumed he would've signed somewhere by now if a bunch of teams like and wanted her

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes