PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hospital news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beginning to think there is a training staff issue.
Last year we had a ridiculously low number of injuries and it was at least partially attributed to positive changes in the training staff and methods.

Maybe it was instead some good luck, and what we are seeing now is regression to the mean. It's a collision sport and people are going to get hurt.

So...every player is supposed to sprint full-speed at someone who's not their assignment, even though they're 30 yards downfield?

That's quite an expectation you have there.
Yep. That's what caught my eye with Nink back in his first preseason. It's what took him from roster bubble to stalwart starter. As commented earlier, what if there's a loose ball? Standing around watching from twenty or thirty yards away is no help recovering it.

Last year we had a ridiculously low number of injuries and it was at least partially attributed to positive changes in the training staff and methods.

Maybe it was instead some good luck, and what we are seeing now is regression to the mean. It's a collision sport and people are going to get hurt.

What we do know is they weren't happy with how they handled it in 2015 which prompted the shake-up last year. But, like you said, maybe our celebrations of its success were premature.

To be honest I only caught bits and pieces from work on my phone and I saw a play where even though it wasn't his assignment he didn't give chase once he knew he couldn't catch the guy.
That to me said BB would want to see him sprint down the field at least to see if another player makes a play we could have a loose ball situation.
I just wanted to see him go after it even if he couldn't catch the guy.
That's the only play I got to key in on.
If he was lockdown the game and you saw that Patriot hustle.
Then I apologize for being kneejerk.

Holy **** man I get that you are one of the doom and gloomers but you look bad on this one.

You are talking about the Coleman 40 yard catch.

Coleman wasn't his guy, that's #1

OmpQdYs.jpg

#2 he got picked by Fleener and knocked to the ground so Thomas could get separation

MqKiKbF.jpg

e3CQ1fQ.jpg

L86xdU7.jpg

#3 He was still on the ground when Coleman caught it

ctjGSYR.jpg

#4 By the time he is on his feet Harmon is tackling him

5BD1lKf.jpg

Yes, because it's every game that a receiver catches the ball and has it slip into his crotch as he as two other guys land on his causing the ball to smash his cup into his penis..

As a hockey goalie who has a much better cup, I can tell you that getting hit there isn't pleasant..

LOL. Can't say I've ever contemplated with equanimity the idea of my penis getting smashed. Maybe slapped around a little, fine.

And there was a question on if it was even a catch. Not so sure Thomas got both feet down before going out

He didn't and that's why I'm shocked they didn't challenge. His left foot came down on his right foots heel of I remember correctly.

It wasn't a catch.

Yes, because it's every game that a receiver catches the ball and has it slip into his crotch as he as two other guys land on his causing the ball to smash his cup into his penis..

As a hockey goalie who has a much better cup, I can tell you that getting hit there isn't pleasant..
This is what I saw on replay. Euphemistically "groin." If so, he should be practicing when the injury report comes out Wednesday.

He didn't and that's why I'm shocked they didn't challenge. His left foot came down on his right foots heel of I remember correctly.

It wasn't a catch.
I thought BB missed an opportunity there.

No...He can't last 16 games in this league anymore..and it really really sucks

2010 .. Active for all 17 games
2011 .. Active for all 19 games
2012 .. Active for 10 games - injured.
... healthy for 47 straight games

2013 .. Active for 7 games - started on PUP, injured week-13.

2014 .. Active for 18 of 19 games (held out of regular season finale)
2015 .. Active for 17 of 18 games (held out of regular season finale)
... healthy for 37 straight games.

2016 .. Active for 8 games (held out till week-3; injured week-11)

2017 .. (undetermined)

Every player on every team gives up when there's no chance. For example, when was the last time you saw a DB (on any team, even NE) go all out to catch a receiver who has beaten everyone big time. They all slow down to a jog when they realize there's no chance. No point in wasting energy you're going to need later on in a game.

Except for Watson in Denver. Or, what most people forget, Elandon a Roberts chasing Freeman down in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

No, the true heart players (if they have the speed) will go all out. If then have the heart but not the ability then fine.

2010 .. Active for all 17 games
2011 .. Active for all 19 games
2012 .. Active for 10 games - injured.
... healthy for 47 straight games

2013 .. Active for 7 games - started on PUP, injured week-13.

2014 .. Active for 18 of 19 games (held out of regular season finale)
2015 .. Active for 17 of 18 games (held out of regular season finale)
... healthy for 37 straight games.

2016 .. Active for 8 games (held out till week-3; injured week-11)

2017 .. (undetermined)

Nonetheless, in his 7 full seasons in the league, he hasn't finished the season healthy (including playoffs) in 4 of them.

Durability is absolutely a question with Gronk.

Just gotta hope for the best.

It's a football expectation and I agree with it. It's called hustling, it's called gang tackling and it was coached into me back in highschool for exactly the reason he stated good things happen to teams that have many players around the ball. So yes I expect my entire defense to go balls to the walls to the ball every play. There is a reason defense takes more energy to play then offense.

It's not called "hustling". It's called "fake hustle". It's called "tryhard". It has nothing to do with 'gang tackling', which actually requires a player to be tackled.

The reason your high school coach coached you that way, is because you all sucked. It's the same reason the coach drills the little league catcher to go back up first base. The chances the pitcher tries to throw one into the parking lot, or the third baseman dribbles one over to first is much, much more likely at the little league level.

In high school, the stumblebum is more likely to trip on his shoelaces and funble if he's 50 yards ahead of you. That receiver for NO runs a 4.4 or better, there's no one on earth who can make up 30 yards on the guy.

Your expectations are, as I said to the other poster, ridiculous.

I thought BB missed an opportunity there.

Again though, that's part of what makes Brees an elite QB. The replay was very convincing showing that it wasn't a catch. However, by the time CBS finished the review, Brees had the Saints lined up and immediately ran another play. Belichick tends to be deliberate and conservative with his challenges - he waits until Pink Stripes tells him that it's a good challenge before he does so. Adams probably just got finished watching the replay himself by the time Brees snapped the ball.

Great execution by the Saints there, and something the Pats have been known to successfully employ in the past as well.

So Ben Watson should have just gave up in Denver cuz he was 60 yards away and had no shot at getting him? Pure hustle and effort and almost saved a TD. Yes most players quit and slow down when beaten badly but if I was a coach I would show constant film of what never giving up and having a swarm of defenders around the ball does for your team. Good things happen sometimes just by being in the right place at the right time and you never know what might happen if you hustle. You're right no one can go all out every play but that's why you have depth and make conditioning a priority.

That was a playoff game, when the Patriots were already behind. Not Week 2 of the regular season when you're already way ahead.

Seriously. Expectations.

Yep. That's what caught my eye with Nink back in his first preseason. It's what took him from roster bubble to stalwart starter. As commented earlier, what if there's a loose ball? Standing around watching from twenty or thirty yards away is no help recovering it.

Well, that and the PEDs.

Holy **** man I get that you are one of the doom and gloomers but you look bad on this one.

You are talking about the Coleman 40 yard catch.

Coleman wasn't his guy, that's #1

OmpQdYs.jpg

#2 he got picked by Fleener and knocked to the ground so Thomas could get separation

MqKiKbF.jpg

e3CQ1fQ.jpg

L86xdU7.jpg

#3 He was still on the ground when Coleman caught it

ctjGSYR.jpg

#4 By the time he is on his feet Harmon is tackling him

5BD1lKf.jpg

He should have fake-hustled anyway. That's what the Hall of Famers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes