PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore returns, BUT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He returned to practice on a limited basis/limited participation.

Alright Sup, soon you just gotta post one single scrap of good information on Gilmore, just a scintilla. anything at all. You heard he told a good joke in the locker room, he was witnessed successfully jumping over a big puddle -- anything :)

Alright Sup, soon you just gotta post one single scrap of good information on Gilmore, just a scintilla. anything at all. You heard he told a good joke in the locker room, he was witnessed successfully jumping over a big puddle -- anything :)
I was just trying to help him understand the designations on the injury report. :D

I’m very relieved that he was spotted in the locker room on Friday, and then was able to get back on the field in some capacity. Even if he’s out of the protocol and they still decide to take a cautious approach and have him wait another game (not likely, but certainly possible), that’s a great sign moving forward.

I was just trying to help him understand the designations on the injury report. :D

I’m very relieved that he was spotted in the locker room on Friday, and then was able to get back on the field in some capacity. Even if he’s out of the protocol and they still decide to take a cautious approach and have him wait another game (not likely, but certainly possible), that’s a great sign moving forward.

There you go Sup -- something positive about Gilmore. Damn this really has turned out to be a good week :)

In all seriousness, with the concussion protocol it's more of an all or nothing thing unlike most injuries that are 'can he play at 70%, 80%, 90%'. With the protocol the player one week is out but when he comes back it's at completely 100%. So I assume if Gilmore is no longer suffering effects he should be able to practice and play 100%.
Based on his limited practice on a Thursday, either BB had him do limited for legal injury report shenanigans (unlikely) or he must still be suffering effects or the effects subsided only within the past day or two.
If I had to guess I'd say he is out for Sunday (again it makes me think of Mike Wright -- each week always expecting him to come back). But as long as we don't have any injures in the secondary -- given the Chargers lack of offensive potency -- the secondary should be able to get the job done. ((High being out sucks but from a run stop POV, we better be able to stop a low tier run offense without him...or we are in trouble)).

Relax Brother Deus -- this is just Patriots banter. This should be fun-stress release versus the opposite :). Fyi, I've posted the "where's the data on Gilmore: probably at least 5 or 6 times asking where's the data on Gilmore. You and Supafly were the only ones to offer something to substantiate the belief that Gilmore is blowing the communication and therefore is the reason for the secondary's poor play (there's also he's the new guy so it must be him logical fallacy).

We'll agree to disagree on my homer status.

Winston missing wide open receivers at a higher percentage than against other teams is not quantified. Did JW miss more in our game than others isn't a metric, it's an opinion. And, ultimately, there are too many variables on why Winston missed whatever passes he should have hit (at least 4 variables).

Gilmore speaking of his issue of communication is actually one of only two good data points I've seen. Yet while what Patriot players say to the media isn't to be taken at 100% face value, given the CW it's noteworthy he said it. But consider: M Butler noted his own struggles in, I believe, week 2 (he was benched the next week?? I think). Is his words that he has to get better then proof that the secondary issues were a larger issue than Gilmore?
Lastly, what still isn't answered: with Gilmore gone why did a quantifiably lower tier offense, the Jets, have over 300 yards passing against us?
I will tell you this, if the Jets had turned in a weaker ATL passing performance, then ATL performance happened -- both with Gilmore gone -- that is a metric that would have been pretty unseemly stat for Gilmore. Look, if he is back and playing on Sunday, let's see if it's more an ATL performance or more a Carolina performance. The more games that happen the better the sample and data.

Regardless though, the ultimate point really isn't important whether you are spot on right or I'm right to be skeptical. If it doesn't hold some entertainment value to respond to this? Skip it brother -- and try a Vodka & Kahlua with a splash of milk (hovering in the neighborhood of a white Russian). Few things make me happier :) :)

I've said before that I think Gilmore will eventually figure it out. That could, theoretically, happen as soon as this weekend. That doesn't mean we should ignore what's been so obvious up to this point, though.

• We've had thread after thread, and post after post, about the struggles of the secondary.
  • We could all see Butler struggling. It was discussed for weeks. Hell, it was a worry even before the season started.
  • We could all see Gilmore blowing reads. You'd have to have been blind to miss it, especially in the Panthers game.
  • We could all see that Tampa Bay didn't make the obvious adjustments for that Thursday game.
  • We could all see that the secondary had improved in the Jets game, even though it still wasn't good.
  • We could all see that the secondary was much better in the Falcons game.
  • Many of us saw the media/ex-players breaking it down, and heard others talking about it on the TV/Radio

Getting confirmation from the players is just icing on the analytical cake.

a couple of weeks off is a good reset

I expect all-pro caliber play from here on out

This had all of the earmarks of one of those threads that reak of people aggressively crying because they are offended someone disagrees with their opinion so I will just synopsize my thoughts and leave it at that.

Certainly there were communication issues.
Not certainly they were because of or solely it mostly because of Gilmore.
There is more evidence to the contrary than to back up dumping it all on Gilmore.
To wit:
McCourty said the Hill TD was cover2 and Gilmore did not play the wrong call.
The Benjamin play out if the bunch was clearly Rowe’s fault. All you have to do is listen to mayo describe bunch coverage. One constant is you point the man in the middle and the pointer had that man. Rowe pointed him.
It’s virtsully impossible to find a defensive call where the corner is responsible for a screen to the RB.
Those are 3 of a handful of scheme break downs and no one has shown me one yet where Gilmore was clearly at fault.
It probably exists and he probably was at fault as much as the rest of he unit but the idea that it’s all him is wrong.

There were no scheme breakdowns in the Tampa game. Communication issues that leave guys wide open because someone played the wrong defense is a specific issue not a look at how many yards they had issue.

To imply the defense was better vs the jets than Tampa is to both poorly assess defense and ignore quality of opponent.

So to the original point Gilmore was both part of the communication issues and part of the correction and those issues did not come up again since he went out and there really is no reason to expect them to return.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, i don't hate gilmore. Just think he's a bust and high dollar fa are not the way to go. Hightower was also a high dollar fa. Ironic.

Secondly someone used the phrase "between he and I" sb "Between him and me". Just trying to help.

what team are you a fan of, kenny? You ain't no Pats fan...Hightower a FA? Get a friggin' Athlon Season primer and get your trolling points straight

what team are you a fan of, kenny? You ain't no Pats fan...Hightower a FA? Get a friggin' Athlon Season primer and get your trolling points straight
Yes Hightower was a FA. That's why he was able to visit the jets and pittsburgh. If he had been under contract he couldn't have. Looks like you need a refresher course.

a player drafted by a certain team that REMAINS with that team is not a free agent. You are doing this TO DIMINISH the Patriots. **** off with your negativity every goddamned day.

a player drafted by a certain team that REMAINS with that team is not a free agent. You are doing this TO DIMINISH the Patriots. **** off with your negativity every goddamned day.
He was an UFA. That means free agent. The FA in UFA is "free agent". Nothing negative about it.

you're negative about every goddamned thing the Pats do, kenny. Stop the B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back