Status
Not open for further replies.

eom

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
vs Pittsburgh:
Pats gave up 13 -- shutting them out in second half
Jags game #1 gave up 22
Jags game #2 gave up 29 in playoffs, including 22 in second half to almost throw game away.

vs Indy:
Pats gave up 20 -- holding them to 7 in second half for a 4 point comeback win
Jags game #1 gave up 29 to get blown out
Jags game #2 gave up 28 to lose game by 3.

'nuff said.

vs Pittsburgh:
Jags game #1 gave up 22
Jags game #2 gave up 29 in playoffs, including 22 in second half to almost throw game away.

vs Indy:

'nuff said.

This is probably the most illogical way to evaluate a defense in existence. And I suspect everyone to tell you so :(

yeah, who would think to associate points given up with a defense?

that's just the kind of crazy outside the box thinking that shifts paradigms.

by the way, do you know what 'nuff said means?

yeah, who would think to associate points given up with a defense?

that's just the kind of crazy outside the box thinking that shifts paradigms.

by the way, do you know what 'nuff said means?

Actually, football is about matchups, just like basketball. It's the same reason why the Warriors upset the Mavs in last year's playoffs. Matchups. The Warriors were quick and were able to harass Dirk to the point that he couldn't pick up his dribble. Not every team could do that.

Anyways... Everyone knows that's a horribly illogical way to make an analysis. If the Jags played the Ravens, it would not have been as close as the Pats game. Can I make a logical analysis about the Pats D off of that game? Uh, no. I don't need to delve into it further. There are so many holes in that kind of thinking that it speaks for itself.

You're 16-0. Appreciate that. You don't need faux arguments to feel more justified that you're going to win. Your record speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I guess we'll see after the game how well the pats match up.
so far, they've been matchin' up pretty good........

edit: why do people like you always need to say "everyone knows" instead of "I know"?
little insecure in our points, are we?

:robot:

Last edited:
I guess we'll see after the game how well the pats match up.
so far, they've been matchin' up pretty good........

edit: why do people like you always need to say "everyone knows" instead of "I know"?
little insecure in our points, are we?

:robot:

Because "I know" brings with it a level of smugness that's not attractive.

The Mavs lost to the Warriors because Nowitzki is a colossal choke artist. Not a good comparison.

Actually, football is about matchups, just like basketball. It's the same reason why the Warriors upset the Mavs in last year's playoffs. Matchups. The Warriors were quick and were able to harass Dirk to the point that he couldn't pick up his dribble. Not every team could do that.

Anyways... Everyone knows that's a horribly illogical way to make an analysis. If the Jags played the Ravens, it would not have been as close as the Pats game. Can I make a logical analysis about the Pats D off of that game? Uh, no. I don't need to delve into it further. There are so many holes in that kind of thinking that it speaks for itself.

You're 16-0. Appreciate that. You don't need faux arguments to feel more justified that you're going to win. Your record speaks for itself.

Why would the Jags playing the Ravens not be close?

The point is the Patriots are clearly and substantially better than the Jaguars.
That is simply a fact.
You have just about 24 hours left to hope that your team can overcome that. Then you will be the 17th victim.

It doesn't really matter what yardstick you use to compare the teams. It doesn't matter if it is one that you agree with or one that you don't. It doesn't matter if it is based on this game or that game, this opponent or that opponent or the matchups. The Patriots are clearly and substantially better based on any yardstick.
Of course, you are belittling any objective points so that you can stick to subjective ones, such as 'its all about matchups'. Watch the matchups tomorrow, and when you come back to congratulate the Pats for the first of the 3 steps to another Championship, you can tell me which ones you did well in.

Why would the Jags playing the Ravens not be close?

Because the Ravens are one of the worst run-stopping teams in the league this year... anyways, I'm not going to dwindle in hypotheticals. The point is clear, you understand it. If you don't, oh well.

I really don't know what is wrong with some of you. Someone said something that is commonly known to be a poor form of evaluation (it's essentially the same as Team A beat team B, B beat C and C beat A argument... which is ridiculous). I pointed it out. And you think all of a sudden I'm booking my tickets to Indy for the championship game or something.

You really really realllllly need a chill pill. It'll make your face look like this :p

Last edited:
Pats D vs Jags D
vs Pittsburgh:
Jags game #1 gave up 22

vs Indy:

this was inaccurate?

:robot: :robot: :robot:

Pats D vs Jags D
vs Pittsburgh:
Jags game #1 gave up 22

vs Indy:

this was inaccurate?

I don't question the stats. I'm sure your right. It's the logic that is inaccurate. How team A and B faired against team X is never a logical analysis. The only time you could consider it a logical analysis, is if Jacksonville and New England were highly similar teams, which they clearly are not.

Last edited:
the logic behind this?

vs Pittsburgh:
Jags game #1 gave up 22

vs Indy:

:robot: :robot:

How was the matchup the last time these two teams faced each other in Foxboro during the playoffs?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxsc...x_score&season=2005&week=POST18&override=true

What's your point? I never said anything about Jacksonville matching up well against the Patriots, I simply said the logic used in this thread is not very reliable. If you want to move on to a my stuff is bigger than your stuff debate, be my guest. Have fun. It doesn't make my point in this thread any less valid.

Last edited:
Pats D vs Jags D
vs Pittsburgh:
Jags game #1 gave up 22

vs Indy:

this was inaccurate?

Nope.

What is says is that NE makes excellent 2nd half adjustments. And, JAX falls apart vs the pass in the 2nd half. They blew an 18 point lead.

the logic behind this?

vs Pittsburgh:
Jags game #1 gave up 22

vs Indy:

I will repeat my response. I don't question the stats. I'm sure your right. It's the logic that is inaccurate. How team A and B faired against team X is never a logical analysis. The only time you could consider it a logical analysis, is if Jacksonville and New England were highly similar teams, which they clearly are not.

Because the Ravens are one of the worst run-stopping teams in the league this year... anyways, I'm not going to dwindle in hypotheticals. The point is clear, you understand it. If you don't, oh well.

I really don't know what is wrong with some of you. Someone said something that is commonly known to be a poor form of evaluation (it's essentially the same as Team A beat team B, B beat C and C beat A argument... which is ridiculous). I pointed it out. And you think all of a sudden I'm booking my tickets to Indy for the championship game or something.

You really really realllllly need a chill pill. It'll make your face look like this :p

A) The Ravens were #2 vs the run, and allowed 2.8 yards per carry. That is one of the best numbers in NFL history. If that is your reasoning, the Ravens would have killed you.
B) Comparing defenses by comparing what they did against common opponents is an EXCELLENT method of comparison.
Your argument seems to be that if you are comparing 2 defenses, it doesnt matter how they played against the same opponents? What about 2 teams that played identical schedules? This isnt saying team a beat team b, its saying against COMMON OPPONENTS, this is what the 2 Ds did. Very, very relevant.

What's your point? I never said anything about Jacksonville matching up well against the Patriots ......
You said football is about matchups! Now answer the question ........

How was the matchup the last time these two teams faced each other in Foxboro during the playoffs?

A) The Ravens were #2 vs the run, and allowed 2.8 yards per carry. That is one of the best numbers in NFL history. If that is your reasoning, the Ravens would have killed you.
B) Comparing defenses by comparing what they did against common opponents is an EXCELLENT method of comparison.
Your argument seems to be that if you are comparing 2 defenses, it doesnt matter how they played against the same opponents? What about 2 teams that played identical schedules? This isnt saying team a beat team b, its saying against COMMON OPPONENTS, this is what the 2 Ds did. Very, very relevant.

Ravens numbers were very bloated. You can look at the running backs they faced this year, or even watch them on the field and see they were not a very effective defensive unit this year. But, anyways, like I said, not going into hypotheticals. If you believe the Ravens had a good run defense this year, then you certainly have the numbers to back it up. So have that opinion if you want. And I will repeat this one more time.

"its saying against COMMON OPPONENTS, this is what the 2 Ds did. Very, very relevant."

This is only relevant if Jax and Pats are similar teams themselves, which they are not. Comparing how much team A and B beat team X by is not accurate. It's simply not.

Last edited:
Pats D vs Jags D
vs Pittsburgh:
Jags game #1 gave up 22

vs Indy:

this was inaccurate?

Not inaccurate but skewed slightly. Garrard went out early in the first Game against the Colts when the score was 7-0. Not to make excuses just putting in facts. What would happen if Brady went out against the Colts in the 1st half? Give a team TOP and a short field and any team in the NFL will score points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents