PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp Day 17 (8/24) NYG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac will be named starter soon.

Rham will vulture goal line carries this year at worst.
I hope so, but can't stack bad days. Hopefully tomorrow he bounces back.

Reiss' writeup made it seem like he was up and down but finished up well. If he can't win it this week then it's going to be Cam for several weeks for sure (injuries/terrible play not withstanding).

Reiss' writeup made it seem like he was up and down but finished up well. If he can't win it this week then it's going to be Cam for several weeks for sure (injuries/terrible play not withstanding).
Those opportunities, have to take advantage of them when they are given. Through injury or things like this. Wally Pipp is alive and well if the player has it in them to do it.

One thing in Mac Jones' defense about his up and down day - he has spent most of the training camp and preseason working with the 2s and 3s. It may take him more than one practice to get on the same page with some of the 1s.

1629759592171.png

jack-nicholson-nodding-gif.gif

Stats dont tell me much, when I dont know how well players were covered. WhAt does 17-31 mean, was he missing throws with separation or really tight coverage.

One thing in Mac Jones' defense about his up and down day - he has spent most of the training camp and preseason working with the 2s and 3s. It may take him more than one practice to get on the same page with some of the 1s.
Yeah, not shocked he'd have a slightly bumpy first go being the true "QB1" with the first-team, against the first-team defense. My hope is that he's better in the next practice. I expect he will be, and if he is, he may be able to just hold onto the job. Bill may have a hard time taking reps away from him to give them back to Cam if he's doing well.

Mac has stated he is working on NFL windows as opposed to college. He is testing where to throw in relation to college and seeing what works and what doesn’t. If that’s what happened today then it’s all good to me.
I still think their might be some truth in this. If true...then no need to bounce back because it's not a bad day. What matters are the games. Will be interesting to see how he progresses in the last PS game.

Good to see some depth guys stringing together strong performances. Cajuste played ahead of Herron both Thursday and today, and has received plenty of praise from various reporters for both performances. Olszewski got into Thursday's game ahead of Wilkerson, caught all 4 of his targets, and led the team in yards. He caught a touchdown against JC Jackson today. Williams was decisively the next guy up in a competition that many had viewed as essentially a tie with Michael Jackson, and allowed only two short completions on Thursday. The Herald says he had a pass breakup and no catches allowed today.

I’m the biggest Mac Jones fan there is, and I would still say 17-31 is not exactly sharp, only 55% completion %. If he wants to win the #1 job, that isn’t gonna cut it. I like that apparently he didn’t throw any INTs. I think only 3 or 4 INTs during training camp so far. I remember guys throwing 3 picks in one practice.

I don't think that stat, in a first practice with a new set of receivers, will have anything to do with it.

I don't think that stat, in a first practice with a new set of receivers, will have anything to do with it.
Nothing against Scott99, but people (and that certainly includes the media) place far too much on the raw numbers from camps, nowadays. It's yet another area of life where we are losing the ability/inclination to look to context and other subtleties.

jeezus krist...and the little girl biatch crying commences.....STOP SPEWING MEANINGLESS CAMP STATS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! PLEASE...I'M BEGGING YOU NANCIES...

Absolutely fascinating that Cam missed a day. Can't do that, dude. Mac is hyper competitive, studying all day outside of practice, improving constantly. You leave the door open, don't be surprised if things change. Brady used to be maniacal about taking all the reps , never missed a snap, and also wasn't the greatest mentor for young QBs aside from being himself the goat everyday.

[Edit] oh man Cam's not back till Thursday ?? Because he didn't get vaccinated?? Against a young ultra-competitive kid with potential who is obsessed with football 16 hrs a day?? This is some jacob-esau stuff about to potentially go down this week. Cam.... sigh.

Last edited:
Stats dont tell me much, when I dont know how well players were covered. WhAt does 17-31 mean, was he missing throws with separation or really tight coverage.

Yup. It's so silly. A couple weeks ago reporters were reporting on throws against zero defense, just guys running a route on an empty field and reporting that. Just stop.

Wow! This sounds odd.
Since when is BB or the Pats org. caught off guard on a policy rule? To send Cam to an outside Dr. and not know the requirements?
Either way, this is the best opportunity Mac could ask for to progress and show his leadership without Cam's shadow.
From a team standpoint though, a full week of practice with only 2 QB's is not great. And Dolegala is in GB.
I'm pretty confident the Patriots knew the requirements. Cam just ignored them and decided any old test would suffice. It doesn't.

I'm pretty confident the Patriots knew the requirements. Cam just ignored them and decided any old test would suffice. It doesn't.

10% chance this is like some Game of Thrones plot. Who's the one on the staff who told Cam it was ok to travel, or tell him the wrong info on what his return requirements would be ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference