PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade Hollister to the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why we are acting like Hollister is anything other than a fringe NFL player. He was oft injured and when healthy didn’t seem to do a lot.

I think Seattle will end up getting the better end of this trade.
Hollister is gifted athletically had been included in Brady's circle of trust before he was hurt and was bulking up last year and physically looked more Gronklike.
I don't hate the trade for us, it's clear he couldn't be counted on here but a giant but he stays healthy he could be a valuable piece for the Hawks.
Laws of averages says he gets injured again so it was 100 percent the right move.

What circle of trust ?

He was TE3 so barely saw any snaps during camp or practice and had only 17 targets in two years (including the postseason).

Also what were you drinking when you thought that he was anything close to Gronk like in terms of his body. He never was more than a big slot receiver and didn't impress much in that role.

Getting anything back for a player that would end up cut sooner or later is a good deal. If the Seahawks can develop him to become a solid player then good for them but odds are he is out of the league by September.

What circle of trust ?

He was TE3 so barely saw any snaps during camp or practice and had only 17 targets in two years (including the postseason).

Also what were you drinking when you thought that he was anything close to Gronk like in terms of his body. He never was more than a big slot receiver and didn't impress much in that role.

Getting anything back for a player that would end up cut sooner or later is a good deal. If the Seahawks can develop him to become a solid player then good for them but odds are he is out of the league by September.
Hollister stepping up for Patriots in training camp

Him working with Brady doesn't mean anything except that the plan was to try giving Hollister some of the Gronk routes down the seams.

In the end he was rarely on the field even when available and that speaks more than anything.
I agree but if he would of stayed healthy he would of gotten meaningful snaps and had appeared to get Brady's trust I recall reading that Brady would take him Jules and Admendola to the side to work on routes

He'll be a nice addition to Seattle's injury report.

I know Hollister is a different type of player, but people do realize Ryan Izzo made last year's opening 53 while being injured in tougher competition than now.

Six pages of TE discussion on a team with only four tight ends on the roster and Izzo's barely mentioned as possibly being part of the Pats plan for 2019.

I think Izzo is the main reason the Patriots didn't draft a TE as they already have on the roster a de facto rookie with good blocking ability. I liked Foster Moreau in the draft but I'm not sure he's any different/better than Izzo.

Laws of averages says he gets injured again so it was 100 percent the right move.

That's not how either the law of averages or injuries work:

1. The law of averages says he won't get injured again since he's already had the typical amount of injuries an NFL player has.

2. Past injuries do not indicate a propensity for future injuries unless the player has a chronic issue in a particular part of the body (i.e., Gronk's back).

Patriots TEs last year.

81 targets.
54 catches
67% catch %
761 yds
14.1ypc
3TDs

If between AFJ, Izzo & LaCosse can't duplicate/improve on that and give them solid blocking in the run & pass game then BB completely f-ed up on his evaluation.

Patriots TEs last year.

81 targets.
54 catches
67% catch %
761 yds
14.1ypc
3TDs

If between AFJ, Izzo & LaCosse can't duplicate/improve on that and give them solid blocking in the run & pass game then BB completely f-ed up on his evaluation.

Or BB is just moving away from TE and will rely heavily on 2 RB sets etc.

But my guess is LaCosse and ASJ will combine for 600-700 yards while we are somewhat moving away from TE.

I agree but if he would of stayed healthy he would of gotten meaningful snaps and had appeared to get Brady's trust I recall reading that Brady would take him Jules and Admendola to the side to work on routes

He also did extra work with Britt and at points with Riley McCarron.

Can he? Play Power Ball instead, better odds.
Yep, Anderson caught 25 balls for around 350-400 yards, the last year he played in 2017. That’s a hell of a lot more contribution than Jake Hollister, who never topped 4 receptions in a season, and never saw more than about 20% of Anderson’s targets in a season.

As I stated in my post, if you don’t care for the specific example of Anderson, feel free to choose another TE. Obviously, they felt that Hollister was expendable, and won’t have an issue with replacing his ST snaps, but I think Anderson has already shown that he’s a much better “move” TE than Hollister ever was here. Perhaps Seattle can use him more effectively.

Last edited:
That's not how either the law of averages or injuries work:

1. The law of averages says he won't get injured again since he's already had the typical amount of injuries an NFL player has.

2. Past injuries do not indicate a propensity for future injuries unless the player has a chronic issue in a particular part of the body (i.e., Gronk's back).

Not quite.
Assuming he's not injury prone, which you do in #2, the past # of injuries reaching the typical # of injuries has no statistical bearing on furture injury probability. The average is the average. Having more occurrences in the past does not affect future probabilities of ONE individual by reducing the # of occurrences.

This means we are going in a new direction with our offense, and frankly I think we already did: 5-headed RB instead of 2-headed TE?

Assuming he's not injury prone, which you do in #2, the past # of injuries reaching the typical # of injuries has no statistical bearing on furture injury probability. The average is the average. Having more occurrences in the past does not affect future probabilities of ONE individual by reducing the # of occurrences.

Yes, obviously but more occurrences in the past doesn't suggest future injuries either based on the "law of averages."

I assume all athletes are not injury prone, because I don't believe "injury prone" is actually a thing. Some athletes play recklessly or have chronic conditions but that's not the same thing.

I assume all athletes are not injury prone, because I don't believe "injury prone" is actually a thing.

Well, there's a problem right there, because it's clear that injury prone is actually a thing.

Or BB is just moving away from TE and will rely heavily on 2 RB sets etc.

But my guess is LaCosse and ASJ will combine for 600-700 yards while we are somewhat moving away from TE.
They just might.

This means we are going in a new direction with our offense, and frankly I think we already did: 5-headed RB instead of 2-headed TE?
5 OL + 5 RBs + Tom Terrific. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes