PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade for Michael Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, no he won't.

Yeah, uhhhh, good luck with all of that. I would love to be a fly on the wall when he tries to talk politics with BB. I’m sure that will go over like a fart in a crowded elevator.

Just win. Help the team win. We watch football to FORGET the drudgery of real life !

Just win. Help the team win. We watch football to FORGET the drudgery of real life !

Psst - they aren't actually going to debate politics and even if they do talk about it passing Belichick isn't going to cut the guy just because he doesn't believe in Q proofs.

Talking is nice. I wish people would talk more about this stuff. Unfortunately, by "talk" they mean "lecture." Smart people typically enjoy talking but not being lectured to.

I’m confused and / or not smart enough to get this joke.
I can assure you that is not what Officer Stacy did. Quite the opposite.

His point is the BLM radicals anti-police morons create fake news.

His pic is an example.

I can assure you that is not what Officer Stacy did. Quite the opposite.

His point is the BLM radicals anti-police morons create fake news.

His pic is an example.

Got it. Yeah I’m not touching that one, two pages in this thread already got nuked this morning.

the desire for civility remains, in many cases, that elusive unicorn.

I mean just look at this thread. No Politics allowed and even when it sneaks in, its the exact opposite of civil.

This little bit hits it on the head. One of the main reasons why I finally had to pull the plug was due to the fact it took away a lot of people who initially came as fans and were here to have fun and talk football. We lost a lot of them due to the animosity created there. The mods went above and beyond and every one of them, beginning with @Patters, who was the first to step up when it started, are all saints for everything they did while it was open. Some things I know behind the scenes with certain individuals who were part of that section has left me with a lot of guilt and regret, with a lot of things I wish I could have done differently.

Honestly, I started this site as a place for Patriots fans to get together to discuss the team and for us to have a fun community to talk football. Seeing a lot of people start to absolutely hate each other was frustrating and I could tell you stories of things that I dealt with personally with people over that span that made a lot of it painful. Given the times we're in now, I can't imagine what it would be like. While the Pub would be ideal for it, people would kill each other and it would create far more work for the mods to have to mediate the discussions, taking them away from just being able to have fun and hang out on the football forum - which is the main reason we're all here. They're all doing this in their spare time to help out as things come up, and dealing with political arguments is not fun.

So unfortunately, this is a football board and it's just too polarizing to offer a section for it. I love all of you guys, but it's just too difficult. :(

Last edited:
This little bit hits it on the head. One of the main reasons why I finally had to pull the plug was due to the fact it took away a lot of people who initially came as fans and were here to have fun and talk football. We lost a lot of them due to the animosity created there. The mods went above and beyond and every one of them, beginning with @Patters, who was the first to step up, are all saints for everything they did while it was open. Some things I know behind the scenes with certain individuals who were part of that section has left me with a lot of guilt and regret, with a lot of things I wish I could have done differently.

Honestly, I started this site as a place for Patriots fans to get together to discuss the team and for us to have a fun community to talk football. Seeing a lot of people start to absolutely hate each other was frustrating and I could tell you stories of things that I dealt with personally with people over that span that made a lot of it painful. Given the times we're in now, I can't imagine what it would be like. While the Pub would be ideal for it, people would kill each other and it would create far more work for the mods to have to mediate the discussions, taking them away from just being able to have fun and hang out on the football forum - which is the main reason we're all here. They're all doing this in their spare time to help out as things come up, and dealing with political arguments is not fun.

So unfortunately, this is a football board and it's just too polarizing to offer a section for it. I love all of you guys, but it's just too difficult. :(

Even as a PoFo regular, I completely understand and support the decisions you made in regards to it.

The fact you let it go as long as you did speaks to, if nothing else, the amount of patience you have.

This little bit hits it on the head. One of the main reasons why I finally had to pull the plug was due to the fact it took away a lot of people who initially came as fans and were here to have fun and talk football. We lost a lot of them due to the animosity created there. The mods went above and beyond and every one of them, beginning with @Patters, who was the first to step up, are all saints for everything they did while it was open. Some things I know behind the scenes with certain individuals who were part of that section has left me with a lot of guilt and regret, with a lot of things I wish I could have done differently.

It would be impossible for anyone to state their case more eloquently and as well as you did with this post. The political twists that seem to eventually permeate so many threads are maddening and disappointing. I'm as guilty as anyone in that I respond to them. But, I don't initiate them and those that do,
in my opinion, should just get the f### off of a football board and join a political one. That's it, over and out.

It would be impossible for anyone to state their case more eloquently and as well as you did with this post. The political twists that seem to eventually permeate so many threads are maddening and disappointing. I'm as guilty as anyone in that I respond to them. But, I don't initiate them and those that do,
in my opinion, should just get the f### off of a football board and join a political one. That's it, over and out.
It's just tough, and you can already see how polarizing those moments are when they pop up in threads anytime someone equates a topic with the political world - people turn on each other quickly. But unfortunately, the examples of where the thread ends up needing to eventually be closed is really a better example of the problem with political discussions, especially right now. It makes people turn on each other and it takes away the enjoyment for those of us who just want to talk about the team. The bigger issue is it drives a stake between people who, before that political post came up within the thread, deep down were rooting for the same thing (the Patriots). Now they dislike each other over things that have nothing to do with that. That's the real problem.

Again, I know what it meant to a lot of people and knowing many of the people involved behind the scenes, it still deeply bothers me. But as hard as it was to make that decision, especially given all the effort the mods put into it, I think it was for the best.

Politics and football are intersecting more and more overtly, and a lot of that is because of deliberate actions by the league. The problem isn't politics, and it makes no sense (IMO) to try having an absolute politics ban in threads where political discussion is appropriate, such as the kneeling threads. The problem is when people start with politics that go beyond the requirement of the thread.

Just my $.02, and I'm outta here.

The problem is when people start with politics that go beyond the requirement of the thread.
That's the problem and believe me, none of the mods ever want to have to touch the thread. Making a political reference about a player doing something politically motivated is obviously within context. The problem is the tangent political post that pops up usually not long after that and has nothing to do with the discussion stemming from the first reference, which was, as I said, in context of the discussion.

That tangent post leads to another (and usually a more volatile one) and things usually ignite from there. That's when one of us jumps in and tries to clear them out for the sake of getting the thread back on topic. Honestly, it never used to be as big of an issue years ago as it's become in recent years. But I do agree, in an ideal situation, that wouldn't happen.

It's just tough, and you can already see how polarizing those moments are when they pop up in threads anytime someone equates a topic with the political world - people turn on each other quickly. But unfortunately, the examples of where the thread ends up needing to eventually be closed is really a better example of the problem with political discussions, especially right now. It makes people turn on each other and it takes away the enjoyment for those of us who just want to talk about the team. The bigger issue is it drives a stake between people who, before that political post came up within the thread, deep down were rooting for the same thing (the Patriots). Now they dislike each other over things that have nothing to do with that. That's the real problem.

Again, I know what it meant to a lot of people and knowing many of the people involved behind the scenes, it still deeply bothers me. But as hard as it was to make that decision, especially given all the effort the mods put into it, I think it was for the best.

Thanks Ian!

There are definitely plenty of people on here with whom I have strong idealogical disagreements on fundamental aspects of life and world view, but I feel a close connection to as fellow Patriots fans (as close as you can get to someone whom you only know as a tiny avatar square).

Reactions: Ian
“Aging” Bennett was significantly more productive than “Prime” Jackson last season. It wasn’t even remotely close. 9 sacks to 3.5, 30 QB hits to 12, 15 TFLs to 7.

Meanwhile Jackson had 8 sacks and 4 forced fumbles in 2017. Bennett had 8.5 sacks with ZERO forced fumbles that same year.

I realize they're different positions, but it's not that uncommon for dl to switch positions.

Even as a PoFo regular, I completely understand and support the decisions you made in regards to it.

The fact you let it go as long as you did speaks to, if nothing else, the amount of patience you have.

LOL, we tried to moderate it for a couple of months and it was too much. Imagine @Ian having to do it for years. Guy has the patience of a saint.

LOL, we tried to moderate it for a couple of months and it was too much. Imagine @Ian having to do it for years. Guy has the patience of a saint.
I appreciate that, but @Patters was there from start to finish, he's the saint. @IcyPatriot was key at the end of it as well. It just got out of hand and became too much. I had to keep getting involved in some ugly situations where people were making their lives tough and finally made the decision.

Again, I wish I had done a lot of things differently and I know a lot of people within that community that it affected when it shuttered and I still feel guilty about quite a few things. But I can't change it...as much as it will always bother me. All I can try and do is make things as good as I can here...hopefully with some changes that are coming, it will continue to be a nice place to keep discussing the team. Or at least that's the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back