PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots To Add OT Riley Reiff

your "friend"? I didn't know she was a Bears fan...

main-qimg-8e3153cf9afd4a48d3c3a2cf6e174270-lq
main-qimg-8e3153cf9afd4a48d3c3a2cf6e174270-lq.jpg

Not just make the team, they may be expecting him to start ?
Based on that contract, it reads to me like he is competing to start and at minimum be the primary backup, and if he is the starter, he'll make around $8M instead of $4M.

The fact that it's only a 1 year deal makes me wonder if they intend to replace him with a drafted rookie by 2024 but want him available as the starter in 2023, or at least part of 2023 if that drafted player is ready to start by mid-season.

Calvin Anderson is the swing tackle, so McDermott is probably just a camp body at that point. Left tackle is still a bit of a question mark.

Based on that contract, it reads to me like he is competing to start and at minimum be the primary backup, and if he is the starter, he'll make around $8M instead of $4M.

The fact that it's only a 1 year deal makes me wonder if they intend to replace him with a drafted rookie by 2024 but want him available as the starter in 2023, or at least part of 2023 if that drafted player is ready to start by mid-season.

Calvin Anderson is the swing tackle, so McDermott is probably just a camp body at that point. Left tackle is still a bit of a question mark.

Thats the vibe im getting, proven stopgap option. Maybe theyre eyeing cb or wr with #14 and taking a project ot later

Thats the vibe im getting, proven stopgap option. Maybe theyre eyeing cb or wr with #14 and taking a project ot later
They can still get a solid RT prospect on day 2 and I think this approach would probably be fine. However, I don't know if Trent Brown is the answer at LT. Maybe for 1 more year. If Cincinnati moves on from La'el Collins now that they've added Orlando Brown Jr, maybe that's worth a look.

A bit?

A bit?!?

It's more than just a ****ing "bit"... Way ****ing More.

They can still get a solid RT prospect on day 2 and I think this approach would probably be fine. However, I don't know if Trent Brown is the answer at LT. Maybe for 1 more year. If Cincinnati moves on from La'el Collins now that they've added Orlando Brown Jr, maybe that's worth a look.

You just don't think very highly of the Left Tackle position, do you?

This makes no sense at all.

5mill/1 year, as reported.
4.15m guaranteed (please tell me that's a typo)
750k in-game...which puts you near the 5...
because there can't be $4m in playtime incentives, can there?

4.15 guaranteed???
Ouch...double ouch.

This makes no sense at all.

5mill/1 year, as reported.
4.15m guaranteed (please tell me that's a typo)
750k in-game...which puts you near the 5...
because there can't be $4m in playtime incentives, can there?

4.15 guaranteed???
Ouch...double ouch.
up to 9 Million contract

With that deal he is absolutely making the team.

Hes a quality swing tackle. I wouldn't want him playing 1000 snaps but hes not being paid to.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back