PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Showing Serious Interest in JuJu Smith-Schuster (Update: Done)

Meyers led the Patriots offense in targets, yards, and TDs last season. He led the team in targets, receptions, and yards in 2020. He's been Mac's most dependable receiver. And Belichick let him walk. I don't like it. And now when Juju and Mac aren't connecting early on I'll have to listen to "give it more time" and they're both adjusting to a "new offense." Meyers and Juju got the same money so this one will easy to judge as a success or failure. We'll see what happens but I won't be participating in the excuse making if it doesn't go well.
If he had signed him you wouldn't have liked it either. We all get your schtick.

Judging slot receivers by TD production is silly to begin with. How many TDs did Edelman have a year? Or Welker? Or Troy Brown? That's not what the offense generally demands of them, just an added bonus. To cite TDs as the primary indication one player at that spot is better than the other tells me zero, I was just pointing out how meaningless it is. Schuster's TD production in KC has no bearing in who he was as a player, it's not what he was there to contribute. Same with Meyers with the Patriots.

As for the whole "the coaching staff agrees" as an argument of authority, that's just so lame. If you believe Schuster's better that's fine, but that justification is incredibly silly.
Think we just have difference of opinion, not sure why you’d want a wr that’s less dynamic and scores less TDs.

In terms of “slot stats” JJSS has averaged +0.9 first down per game and +15 yards per game vs JM, that’s 15 first downs and 255 yards in a season if all 17 games played.

They put a better player in the role.
If you think the guy who leads the offense in targets yards and TDs producing 67/804/6 is good then we will have to disagree and I’d point out that you would be hard pressed to find any other team that would have been happy with those numbers.
So yes, I think it’s pretty clear that we needed to upgrade Meyers. Luckily we found a guy who had pretty much out produced those numbers whenever he had been healthy.
No I’m sure you will be on the side making excuses for why their success is overrated.
Juju is not a bad signing. My preference would have been retaining Meyers on the same exact contract. NYJ gave Lazard the same money per too, I like his size and upside more than Juju's. But again, Juju is fine, as long as the team secures a true WR1. And a TE1b.

If he had signed him you wouldn't have liked it either. We all get your schtick.
That's a lie or you don't read my posts. I consistently stated Meyers was a must re-sign. I'm disappointed he's gone. I liked the Parker signing last year and still do. I like Bourne and *****ed about his playing time all season. I don't dislike the Juju signing, he just wouldn't have been my first choice. The WRs will look like a solid group if they can add a WR1 to the current mix.

Think we just have difference of opinion, not sure why you’d want a wr that’s less dynamic and scores less TDs.

In terms of “slot stats” JJSS has averaged +0.9 first down per game and +15 yards per game vs JM, that’s 15 first downs and 255 yards in a season if all 17 games played.
Again, are those counting his 2017 and 2018 seasons, because if so it tells me nothing and we may as well argue for them to sign Antonio Brown if production 5-6 years ago should have any bearing on the player we're currently getting.

Again, are those counting his 2017 and 2018 seasons, because if so it tells me nothing and we may as well argue for them to sign Antonio Brown if production 5-6 years ago should have any bearing on the player we're currently getting.
Brown is 34 juju is 26. What a dumb argument.

Why? He's a big boy who got paid like one.

How do you know how he feels about how committed the Pats were to the offense? The first thing they did this off-season was fire Phat Matt and hire BoB. That sounds like a team committed to offense. to me.
I know how he feels because he said so when he left.

Why? He's a big boy who got paid like one.

How do you know how he feels about how committed the Pats were to the offense? The first thing they did this off-season was fire Phat Matt and hire BoB. That sounds like a team committed to offense. to me.
Why didn't he feel wanted because they let him go.

The difference between Meyers and JuJu is that JuJu got more yardage after the catch. I hope that continues. I doubt it because Mac Jones won't be allowed to throw the long ball. The offense will be short passes and running backs. I am glad Rodgers is going to the Jets. That will put the Pats on the bottom in the East. Bills, Fins, Jets and Pats. This should force the Pats to get a stronger offense, IMO that means Mac Jones must go unless he has been hiding qualities not shown to date.

Very cap friendly deal. 4.67 mill first year hit. Proof patriots are trying to build a winner this year by leveraging all the cap space in future years.

The difference between Meyers and JuJu is that JuJu got more yardage after the catch. I hope that continues. I doubt it because Mac Jones won't be allowed to throw the long ball. The offense will be short passes and running backs. I am glad Rodgers is going to the Jets. That will put the Pats on the bottom in the East. Bills, Fins, Jets and Pats. This should force the Pats to get a stronger offense, IMO that means Mac Jones must go unless he has been hiding qualities not shown to date.

The only part of this post that isn't nonsense is that JuJu gets more YAC than Meyers. That part is true.

Mac "isn't allowed" to throw the long ball? That's basically all he did for the first part of last season. It didn't work because the offense wasn't set up to succeed on just about any level, and Parker and Jones weren't on the same page yet (that got better later in the year).

Also, what does throwing a long ball have to do with yards after catch? You know that when you throw a screen ALL THE YARDS are after the catch?

During the last 3 years, here are the comparisons:

Smith-Schuster:
37 Games
257 Targets (6.94T/G)
190 Rec (5.13 R/G)
Catch % = 73.4%
Yards = 1893
YPR = 9.96
YAC = 4.96
12 TDs

101 1st Downs (2.73/G)

Meyers:
45 Games
303 Targets
(6.7 T/G)
209 Rec (4.64 R/G)
Catch % = 69%
Yards = 2397
YPR = 11.5
YAC = 3.22
8 TDs
117 1st Downs (2.6/G)

Meyers had more Targets, Receptions and 1st downs by virtue of playing more games. JJSS had more Targets per game, more receptions per game, a higher catch %, more YAC, more 1st Downs per game and more TDs.

Also, the fact that JJSS played more outside than slot with the Chiefs says that he can handle a role similar to Edelman's allows for more dynamics from the offense.

Why not? They structured an 11 mill per year 3 year deal with only 15% of the hit in year 1. That is textbook maximizing this years cap by taking advantage of excess future cap available

During the last 3 years, here are the comparisons:

Smith-Schuster:
37 Games
257 Targets (6.94T/G)
190 Rec (5.13 R/G)
Catch % = 73.4%
Yards = 1893
YPR = 9.96
YAC = 4.96
12 TDs

101 1st Downs (2.73/G)

Meyers:
45 Games
303 Targets
(6.7 T/G)
209 Rec (4.64 R/G)
Catch % = 69%
Yards = 2397
YPR = 11.5
YAC = 3.22
8 TDs
117 1st Downs (2.6/G)

Meyers had more Targets, Receptions and 1st downs by virtue of playing more games. JJSS had more Targets per game, more receptions per game, a higher catch %, more YAC, more 1st Downs per game and more TDs.

Also, the fact that JJSS played more outside than slot with the Chiefs says that he can handle a role similar to Edelman's allows for more dynamics from the offense.
Now this is a fair comparison. I feel like Juju played outside more both due to necessity and the fact that Kelce is their best weapon in the passing game and plays inside, he will see some time outside with the Pats, but I believe will primarily play in the slot. They're very comparable players. I'd say Meyers is better before the catch (beating press, gaining separation) and Juju is better after (YAC, breaking tackles). Both are very consistent catchers and can make tough grabs in traffic, neither has good long speed. I'd rather have the guy I know is productive in my system, but I guess both the floor is lower and the ceiling is higher with Juju. If they let Meyers go I'd rather upgrade the Z spot with a truly dynamic receiver like Jeudy, but this is fine.

I am glad Rodgers is going to the Jets. That will put the Pats on the bottom in the East. Bills, Fins, Jets and Pats.
We know who you are now.

Now this is a fair comparison. I feel like Juju played outside more both due to necessity and the fact that Kelce is their best weapon in the passing game and plays inside, he will see some time outside with the Pats, but I believe will primarily play in the slot. They're very comparable players. I'd say Meyers is better before the catch (beating press, gaining separation) and Juju is better after (YAC, breaking tackles). Both are very consistent catchers and can make tough grabs in traffic, neither has good long speed. I'd rather have the guy I know is productive in my system, but I guess both the floor is lower and the ceiling is higher with Juju. If they let Meyers go I'd rather upgrade the Z spot with a truly dynamic receiver like Jeudy, but this is fine.
Someone just said Jakobi Meyers is better at beating press and gaining separation
Is there just no integrity left in the world?

Someone just said Jakobi Meyers is better at beating press and gaining separation
Insult Burn GIF

I know it's your job to just carry the water of whatever move it is Bill makes, but that's my evaluation of the player after watching about 45 min of film of a couple of his games from last year. Thought he struggled a bit versus man and a lot of his big plays came either after receiving a ball in traffic, surviving a big hit (which Meyers never seemed to do) and finding space, or getting open after Mahomes drifted back in the pocket and did his little song and dance for about 7 seconds. Thought he was much better vs. zone and showed a surprising aptitude at those little whip routes Edelman loved to run, but especially when lined up outside I didn't think he had the suddenness and explosiveness to win consistently against man coverage, more of a back shoulder fade, positioning type receiver at the perimeter.

You're free to disagree with this analysis, I'm not a professional scout after all but even if an honest appraisal of a guy I think is of a similar level of the one they let go is worthy of this type of empty snark I just hope you're making money of this little character you play here.

I know it's your job to just carry the water of whatever move it is Bill makes, but that's my evaluation of the player after watching about 45 min of film of a couple of his games from last year. Thought he struggled a bit versus man and a lot of his big plays came either after receiving a ball in traffic, surviving a big hit (which Meyers never seemed to do) and finding space, or getting open after Mahomes drifted back in the pocket and did his little song and dance for about 7 seconds. Thought he was much better vs. zone and showed a surprising aptitude at those little whip routes Edelman loved to run, but especially when lined up outside I didn't think he had the suddenness and explosiveness to win consistently against man coverage, more of a back shoulder fade, positioning type receiver at the perimeter.

You're free to disagree with this analysis, I'm not a professional scout after all but even if an honest appraisal of a guy I think is of a similar level of the one they let go is worthy of this type of empty snark I just hope you're making money of this little character you play here.
Which games. And which plays did you identify as man coverage and see him
“struggle”
The comment is because no matter what they do or who they sign you will throw water in it. It’s like clockwork if the Patriots do anything here you come to criticize it, and this was kind of an obvious example of just making up a reason.
If you would like to show me those examples of Meyers owning man coverage and dominating separation go ahead. I’d imagine I would find you among the people who complained “our reCeeVerZz coUlDnt gEt AnY SePAratIon” when Meyers was out there.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back