PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Showing Serious Interest in JuJu Smith-Schuster (Update: Done)

He's an upgrade over Meyers but his two best seasons were not coincidently when he was the SECOND best receiving option for a team. 2018 on the Steelers when Brown was there and 2022 on the Chiefs with Kelce. That's what he is, a good second guy.

I immediately knew we were signing him once we showed interest. You simply cannot pass up the opportunity to play for a 6x SB champion franchise coached by an 8x SB winning GOAT.

Get a WR1. Juju & Bourne offer more playmaking than any WRs that played last year.

While not a number 1 WR still a nice upgrade over Meyers

Ok seems like Bob is behind this signing.:cool:

Makes you wonder though.

McDaniels could've had Smith-Schuster for the same amount.

Why did he select Jakobi instead?
Because he has a CLEAR #1 (Adams) and was looking for a more reliable (Meyers) and steady locker-room guy, while, apparently, the Pats were looking for someone who might go higher.

My nephew just told me that Felger called this a "lateral move" which I find hilarious since Meyers is involved.

Wonder who the Chiefs are gonna target. OBJ?

Interesting contract... just for comparison's sake:

Jakobi Meyers: 60 games, 235 catches (3.92/g), 2758yds (46/g), 8 TDs

JuJu: 79 games, 401 catches (5.08/g), 4788yds (60.6/g), 29 TDs

Both get the same contract. JuJu has some injury problems, but still, surprising that the market would value them the same, especially with JuJu coming off a good season and a ring.
I am of the opinion that Juju is more dynamic. I am ok with this signing. I don't love it, but don't hate it, either.

He's an upgrade over Meyers but his two best seasons were not coincidently when he was the SECOND best receiving option for a team. 2018 on the Steelers when Brown was there and 2022 on the Chiefs with Kelce. That's what he is, a good second guy.
I agree, he is a good player but not a #1 receiver. They still have a gap there. If they can get that #1 receiver, Juju as the #2, Bourne and Thornton rotating as the #3 and Henry as the TE is a good crew. Parker can be traded.

He wanted "his guys", I thought it was pretty obvious.
Yeah but... Meyers was "his" and "our" guy.

We've had as much experience coaching JuJu as Josh has.

We had Juju scheduled for a visit last FA but he never made it out of KC.

TikTok JUJU for 33 mil for 3 years is a joke, I wouldn't give this guy 5 mil a year

Yeah but... Meyers was "his" and "our" guy.

We've had as much experience coaching JuJu as Josh has.
Bill doesn't need "his guys", he has an established culture. Josh needs to establish the culture in Vegas.

I just don’t think Juju “moves the needle” with this team. How many veteran #2-3 receivers does a team need? Those resources should go to a dynamic #1.
Pick #14... Only way it's happening

Interesting contract... just for comparison's sake:

Jakobi Meyers: 60 games, 235 catches (3.92/g), 2758yds (46/g), 8 TDs

JuJu: 79 games, 401 catches (5.08/g), 4788yds (60.6/g), 29 TDs

Both get the same contract. JuJu has some injury problems, but still, surprising that the market would value them the same, especially with JuJu coming off a good season and a ring.

The extra seasons and the injuries mean something despite the pg comparisons.

Look at it this way--lat year no one gave JuJu more than $3.7m

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back