PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots place transition tag on Dugger

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I know they used Mills some for the role but I also thought they used Dugger at FS some too, I thought Peppers got stay at SS more than Dugger?
By no means am I an expert but they seemed to shift Peppers more into McCourty's role after he retired. I don’t think Peppers stayed in that role completely as he was around the LOS in run defense a good amount but he was definitely playing the free safety role a few times this year with some PBUs and INTs against Buffalo, Philly, Vegas, and Washington. Mills playing time definitely seemed to decrease this season getting most of his snaps when Peppers was banged up.

Again I could be wrong but Peppers seems to rotate a lot more than Dugger who seems more suited to the in the box safety role. Not that Dugger is "bad" playing centerfield I just think it takes away from a lot of what he does best.

You guys are underrating Dugger by a lot. He becomes a big star and an annual Pro Bowler in this league if he leaves New England. We'll be asking who made the decision to let him get away.

As for his value, under the old salary cap, I'd say it's top 10 or around $14m. But the agents are pushing for totally new values now with the massive explosion in the cap.

This is Dugger's ONE chance to get the money. There will be no more chances for him.
He's worth what someone will pay him... and we have the ability to match that offer. Thats a good thing. I want him here next year.

The downside is that if they decline to match, they don't get any compensation for him.
In fact that is not totally right. If Dugger would ended up to leave, they can cancel the tag and he will the count toward the comp picks.

He’s got a crowded room in fa now with all the releases. He must be a little tiffed.

Both Poyer and Simmons are far superior to Duggar. The Pats should pull the tag now, before they are on the hook for paying him 13 million dollars.

Both Poyer and Simmons are far superior to Duggar. The Pats should pull the tag now, before they are on the hook for paying him 13 million dollars.
Don’t know why they put it on him in the first place.

I’d rather have McKinney at fs and move Mapu or whoever to the box.

It's a gut punch to Dugger. A team offering him will have to tie up their FA resources for nearly a week while the others in the market go away, which means he comes back and the Pats save a couple million dollars.

If you're going to tag a guy you want to keep, a guy who came up through his rookie deal in your system, use the damned Franchise Tag.
The thing with Dugger, I was reading up on. Is he has no all pro or pro bowl selections. Wich GMs like to use as reasons not to adequately compensate deserving players. 13 million as a tagged player, isn't the worst thing in the world..

But I see your overall point.

If and when then have an agreement with a better free safety, THEN they can consider withdrawing the tag.

I struggle with giving Dug this tag because I fully believe Peppers can do the same in box safety job just as well. IMO Dug has been great for us and our scheme but I agree with others…this tag should have gone to Onwenu.

I don't understand how people can think Kraft would get involved in the technicalities of signing a safety. Talk about grasping at air lol.

Is Dugger actually worth $13MM? I know cap has gone up a lot last couple years so my view could be distorted but that seems way too high for Dugger.

Top of the market is around 18 million AAV, so 13 sounds about right for Duggar.

Oversupply of top safeties:

Maybe this helps level off their ridiculous salaries for a while. This current generation of S' are nowhere near the class of impact players like an Ed Reed and Earl Thomas as the most recent examples.

Maybe this helps level off their ridiculous salaries for a while. This current generation of S' are nowhere near the class of impact players like an Ed Reed and Earl Thomas as the most recent examples.
All the young safeties were tagged or signed. All the old guys who are past their prime were let go.

Right, and all the other teams that are franchising their guys and killing the FA market are wrong, yes?

The kicker will be Onwenu. If they keep him, then talk to me.
The pattern hasn't changed at all for the last 6 years. Not at all.

If they re-sign Onwenu, I'll admit that I'm wrong.
Well I am talking now. so many assumptions that they could not have both,

So no news here or reports on possible offers elsewhere?..

So is Jabrill Peppers, and at what will most likely end-up being a fraction of the cost.

And yet there are still people here who would’ve drafted Uncle Dugg ahead of Anyone Else at #37 that year.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back