PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Not Expected to Be in the Mix for Lamar Jackson

This was written before the 2018 draft, and before BB passed on him twice.

"I think he could "appear" really good, he could look like young Michael Vick... and just like Vick he will be fool's gold. He will win some regular season games, but unless he has the perfect situation around him won't sniff the Super Bowl. You have to be able to pass accurately to beat NFL caliber playoff defenses... passing is important." - Wozzy, Apr 23, 2018

If I was anymore accurate you guys would have to award me a prize...
sure
it had nothing to do with protecting Bill. Bill hadn't picked anyone at that point. Besides... nobody is protecting Bill, we're simply pointing out that suggesting the winningest coach in history stumbled and bumbled his way to unprecedented success is an idiotic take. There are no white knights of BB, that's just Brady fanboys projecting. Most of us are critical of BB all the time.

Lamar is not an accurate passer, he can't pass on playoff defenses from the pocket.
then what is mac jones?
Lamar in his second season: 36 TD, 6 int.....
Lamar plays in a complete different league than mac jones

That's why he has one playoff win in his entire career. He has been the worst player on either team in every playoff loss he's been in. Not to mention the past two seasons, he has only started 12 games apiece... so once his legs are gone, you end up with a non-running QB who can't pass on one of the most bloated contracts in the NFL.

The notion of trading for him and paying him is dumb... it will never happen, nor should it happen. Lamar peaked in 2019 because nobody knew who he was, now teams have film on him and know he can't pass.

2022 season

mac: 14 games, 442 pass attempts, 14 td, 11 int, 48 yard longest, qbr ranked 28th in the league (102 rush yards, 1 TD)

lamar: 12 games, 326, 17 td, 7 int, 75 yard longest; qbr ranked 9th in the league ( + 700 rush yards and 3 rush TD)

Bill well never pay anyone a fully guaranteed contract.

Bill well never pay anyone a fully guaranteed contract.
Huh? Of course he has and will.

The question is always how much money.

Can’t pass like can’t go thru progressions and deliver the ball or can’t pass like doesn’t have the mechanics to make the throws?
Progressions isn't even in the conversation, it's a non-starter. He's not accurate even when guys are wide open, whether it's mechanics or not is irrelevant. He's not, his accuracy is the result of scheme, passing less than just about any starter in the league and passing to 6'5" TE's with big wingspans. It's not coincidence he does better with big tall receivers and struggles with little guys.

you just described wozzy
He genius, I just posted my quote about Lamar Jackson from prior to the 2018 draft.

Explain how I was "protecting BB for not drafting Lamar twice" if the draft hadn't happened yet?

Progressions isn't even in the conversation, it's a non-starter. He's not accurate even when guys are wide open, whether it's mechanics or not is irrelevant. He's not, his accuracy is the result of scheme, passing less than just about any starter in the league and passing to 6'5" TE's with big wingspans. It's not coincidence he does better with big tall receivers and struggles with little guys.
Are there any QBs you like in this draft that you think could challenge Mac or be a improvement?

What are your thoughts on Tanner McKee?

He genius, I just posted my quote about Lamar Jackson from prior to the 2018 draft.

Explain how I was "protecting BB for not drafting Lamar twice" if the draft hadn't happened yet?
you need to read crawhammers post again

2022 season

mac: 14 games, 442 pass attempts, 14 td, 11 int, 48 yard longest, qbr ranked 28th in the league (102 rush yards, 1 TD)

lamar: 12 games, 326, 17 td, 7 int, 75 yard longest; qbr ranked 9th in the league ( + 700 rush yards and 3 rush TD)
The debate is not really about LJ vs Mac.

The debate is how injuries almost bring LJ to Mac's level.

Last 2 years (inc playoffs and include rushing stats as a total offense)

Jones -33/35 games/94% avail -16W-16L - 66.5% comp - 89 QB rating - 227 total yds per game/6.67ypp - 37TDs/1.15 TD/game - 2.5INT %/.8 INT/game

Jackson- 24/35 games/68.5% avail - 15W-9L - 63.4%- 88.9 QB rating - 277 total yards per game/6.98ypp - 38TDs 1.58TDs/game -2.8INT %.8INT/game

Based on these numbers Jackson is a superior yardage-gainer and TDs per game than Mac. No question.

What these numbers also tell you is both are very average passers but because of Jackson's style of play/running, he accounts for a ton of yards per game. With his 277ypc, he actually puts himself only behind Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts and Hebert in total yards per game.

In 2019 Jackson accounted for 45 touchdowns. That's spectacular. The problem is he hasn't hit that total in the last two years combined. Daniel Jones had more total TDs last year and freaking Marcus Mariotta had 1 fewer (20 v 19). QBs need to put the ball in the EZ and score points. Full stop.

As others have said, the debate (IMO there isn't one) is because of his health, style of play and slight build, hes unable to consistency lead the offense in the end zone. You can argue even healthy he hasn't been doing that the last 2 years consistently.

LJ healthy and producing like 2019 is worth a ****-ton of money. No question about it. The problem is he hasn't been that in 2 years.

As GM do you throw $200m guaranteed at him? Absolutely not.

Any LJ deal must have a **** load of performance and playing time incentives.

The debate is not really about LJ vs Mac.

The debate is how injuries almost bring LJ to Mac's level.

Last 2 years (inc playoffs and include rushing stats as a total offense)

Jones -33/35 games/94% avail -16W-16L - 66.5% comp - 89 QB rating - 227 total yds per game/6.67ypp - 37TDs/1.15 TD/game - 2.5INT %/.8 INT/game

Jackson- 24/35 games/68.5% avail - 15W-9L - 63.4%- 88.9 QB rating - 277 total yards per game/6.98ypp - 38TDs 1.58TDs/game -2.8INT %.8INT/game

Based on these numbers Jackson is a superior yardage-gainer and TDs per game than Mac. No question.

What these numbers also tell you is both are very average passers but because of Jackson's style of play/running, he accounts for a ton of yards per game. With his 277ypc, he actually puts himself only behind Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts and Hebert in total yards per game.

In 2019 Jackson accounted for 45 touchdowns. That's spectacular. The problem is he hasn't hit that total in the last two years combined. Daniel Jones had more total TDs last year and freaking Marcus Mariotta had 1 fewer (20 v 19). QBs need to put the ball in the EZ and score points. Full stop.

As others have said, the debate (IMO there isn't one) is because of his health, style of play and slight build, hes unable to consistency lead the offense in the end zone. You can argue even healthy he hasn't been doing that the last 2 years consistently.

LJ healthy and producing like 2019 is worth a ****-ton of money. No question about it. The problem is he hasn't been that in 2 years.

As GM do you throw $200m guaranteed at him? Absolutely not.

Any LJ deal must have a **** load of performance and playing time incentives.
i agree but lamar's passing always gets bashed here but he is a better qb than mac. but the other way around if you say this about mac here you get bashed. just measuring with different standards here some posters

i agree but lamar's passing always gets bashed here but he is a better qb than mac. but the other way around if you say this about mac here you get bashed. just measuring with different standards here some posters
Don't listen to them. Simple.

Personally, I think there are still outstanding questions with LJ as a pocket passer. Is he horrible? No, but I don't put him in the top pocket passer category. I think he needs receiver help and he needs to figure out a way not to run so much and preserve his health.

I lost a ton of respect for Jackson when he didn't go to his team's playoff game. I won't say such a thing is unprecedented, but I sure as heck can't think of another time an injured starting QB (who could easily travel) stayed home for a playoff game. As much as it sucks, they usually just grin and bear standing 3 hours on the sidelines in civvies.

Although arguably that isn't as bad as Garoppolo who went to the playoff game and certainly didn't let SF getting their butts whupped interrupt his fun....

FnrIDSxWYAEl_Ou

Are there any QBs you like in this draft that you think could challenge Mac or be a improvement?

What are your thoughts on Tanner McKee?
I haven't broken down this draft class yet, I usually get into it once most of the pro days have finished. I'll get back to you.

Mac Jones is far from a finished product and his growth was severely hampered in 2022 with Bozo the clown running the offense. Mac this year will likely put up passing stats Lamar could never dream of.

What am I missing?
He said those who tipically defend bb will bash lamar, i understood it the way that he meant not defending bb for not picking lamar , just people who are more likely to defend bb in general , maybe I misunderstood it,
I would defend bb for not picking lamar either btw

Mac Jones is far from a finished product and his growth was severely hampered in 2022 with Bozo the clown running the offense. Mac this year will likely put up passing stats Lamar could never dream of.
Do you think he exceeds 36 TD to 6 INT? Well too early to tell before free agency and draft but for me, this would require heavy investments in the OT and WR position, also a good harmony between Mac and bob right away

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back