PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots MUST lose their last 3 games

Herbert has a losing career record:ninja:

Agreed, but he is generally considered a good QB even though his win-loss record says otherwise.

The point was that Trubisky, Wilson, Lance, Rosen, Murray, Darnold, and more are all Top 3 QB draft picks, and they are all busts.

Herbert has a losing career record:ninja:

To revisit recruiting info again, Herbert had no big time offers besides Oregon. He was local. I think he’s overrated at this point. Trey Lance had no major offers. Zach Wilson had some middling P5 offers. Justin Fields had to transfer to get playing time. Mac Jones was a three-star headed to Kentucky before the late offer from Bama. The warning signs were there for some of these busts.

Obviously not a perfect science as one can see with highly rated Bryce Young. But I just think there is less risk with Maye, Williams and Daniels. These guys have been hyped all the way through.

For what it is worth, here are the odds in remaining games for the teams in the race to the bottom of the standings.
(I couldn't find any odds on Week 18 at this time.)

2-12 Carolina (Chicago)
(-5) home vs Packers
(+8) at Jaguars
(+?) home vs Buccaneers

3-11 Patriots
(-6½) at Broncos
(+12) at Bills
(?) home vs Jete

3-11 Arizona
(+4) at Bears
(+10) at Eagles
(+?) home vs Seahawks

4-10 Washington
(+3) at Jete
(+13½) home vs 49ers
(+?) home vs Cowboys

That's useful. "Long term NFL starter" isn't the standard here in Patsland, at least not yet. Do you have links for "Caleb Williams ranks right around Trevor Lawrence and the consensus is Drake Maye is just barely below that. We can't get a final ranking until after combines but Wiliams will be in the top 10 for sure." The opinions I've seen on all those guys are much more varied than what I saw on Lawrence.
I agree long term NFL starter is not the goal, but trying to show that the top QB's in every draft are not equal and if the consensus rating going into a draft is in the top 20 historically as a QB prospect you probably have an 80% chance of not regretting the draft pick, even if they don't become a hall of famer they should, at least be pretty good NFL starting QB's.

I've found a number of links with scouts that rank Williams above or near Lawrence, for example:

"If anything, analysts would be probably split between Lawrence and Williams if they were available in the same draft"

But for that you can pretty easily find articles with that comparison.

There are several articles where scouts say teams may draft Maye over Williams if he fits their system better. Of course, all 10 scouts I read that said that all would still take Willimas #1. Williams WILL go #1 unless Maye blows way the workouts. Scouts have him rated too high to pass.

I think Maye needs to go thru the combine before it is determined how close he is to Williams but he's not far off today since many scouts think it is possible that he may go before Williams.
For Example, Josh Allen was rated highly but then blew away the combine and went to another level as a prospect just on his workouts.
We will see how Maye does in his workout. I think teams are going to raise his stock after the combine but until it happens, it is possible his status does not reach the heights of Williams/Lawrence by draft day.

Fultz was picked #1. So you think we should pick at #3?
It worked for the Celtics. Don't know if the same luck will work for the Patriots. We might end up with the #3 pick because Zappe wins one against the Jets or something.

If Patriots win Sunday night say goodbye to any chance at Williams or Maye.
They would probably then beat jets, finish with 5 wins and pick 4th or 5 th.

Russell Wilson should stomp us and bills should disrobe us so that last game we go with Nathan Rourke and rest all starters on defense and all starters on offensive line.

Draft Drake Maye. Even if he is a bust at least we have 3 years of optimism to see how he can develop.

If Patriots win Sunday night say goodbye to any chance at Williams or Maye.
They would probably then beat jets, finish with 5 wins and pick 4th or 5 th.

Amazing how you can see the future. How do you do it?

That makes no sense, at least to me it doesn't because the draft always will be a crapshoot. Winning begets winning, no way will I ever root for them to lose for something as chancy as draft position. With 12 or 13 losses more or less guaranteed they still will pick high regardless.
Oh yeah, winning sure had gotten us more wins over the last 4 years. Blow it up, get s high draft pick and start fresh with a new coaching staff. This is the way

Yeah Bill will suit up if it means holding for XPA to beat the Jets.
That also means we’ll likely be picking 4th if Washington loses to the JEST Sunday.

Oh yeah, winning sure had gotten us more wins over the last 4 years. Blow it up, get s high draft pick and start fresh with a new coaching staff. This is the way

Well, apparently you and I disagree on the importance of playing to win. Maybe, if you're lucky, they'll lose even more games next year so they can get more high draft picks. After all, winning doesn't work and just messes with draft position. :rolleyes: Of course, you always can blow it up and start over, like New Jersey does every three years.

Last edited:
100% agree. Lose last three games for the longterm betterment of the franchise.
A 3-14 season will definitely attract top FAs to come here to play.

Well, apparently you and I disagree on the importance of playing to win. Maybe, if you're lucky, they'll lose even more games next year so they can get more high draft picks. After all, winning doesn't work and just messes with draft position. :rolleyes: Of course, you always can blow it up and start over, like New Jersey does every three years.
This tanking bs is getting tiresome. Losing doesn't do anything but make the team a loser.

After the struggles that the Pats have had in Denver over the years I'm pulling for a win. Doing it with such a poor Pats team and taking the Broncos out of the playoff race would make it even better.

Agreed, but he is generally considered a good QB even though his win-loss record says otherwise.

The point was that Trubisky, Wilson, Lance, Rosen, Murray, Darnold, and more are all Top 3 QB draft picks, and they are all busts.
Murray is not a Bust sorry when Healthy he makes the Cardinals competitive.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back