PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Lose Two OTAs Due To Rule Violation

Weird... so it's OK to have a 15 min special teams group meeting, but if it is put onto any type of formal / written schedule posted or circulated to people by email or text, then it then has to be considered an illegal "mandatory meeting" rather than a legal "optional meeting".

Do I have that right? So stupid.
How do you convey that there will be an optional meeting?

I have to think Florio got this wrong, no?

It would seem it would have to be posted for it to be a meeting at all. But maybe it didn't say "OPTIONAL" as required.

A ****ing paperwork violation. Of ****ing course. I was joking about the jest fan in the nfl office thing but now I'm thinking there's actually a chance some jest fan in the nfl got mad about Rodgers injuring his calf and took it out on the Pats.

In the voice of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious:

"
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it was a meeting violation. According to the source, an observer from the NFL Players Association believed that one of the optional early offseason meetings was a violation, because the 15-minute meeting in question (a special-teams session) was made visible on the internal schedule. In the opinion of the NFLPA, placing the meeting on the formal schedule converted it from “optional” to “mandatory.”

The violation, per the source, had nothing to do with activities on the practice field, including whether or not there was impermissible contact.
Given the consequences, it was an unforced error that forces the Patriots to lose 20 percent of their OTA sessions for 2023."

How hard is it to add the word "optional" to the schedule?

In the voice of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious:

"
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it was a meeting violation. According to the source, an observer from the NFL Players Association believed that one of the optional early offseason meetings was a violation, because the 15-minute meeting in question (a special-teams session) was made visible on the internal schedule. In the opinion of the NFLPA, placing the meeting on the formal schedule converted it from “optional” to “mandatory.”

The violation, per the source, had nothing to do with activities on the practice field, including whether or not there was impermissible contact.
Given the consequences, it was an unforced error that forces the Patriots to lose 20 percent of their OTA sessions for 2023."
If true, the grunting and snorting from BB must haven been legendary when found out the news.

Really?

eh...

I am a Homer. Proud to be a Homer. I would say go **** yourself and your ridiculous attitude but its not worth it...

but im going to do it anyway... on behalf of all Patriot homers **** off turd.
Isn't "homer" an insult sportswriters used to insult other sportswriters?

Of course fans of a team are "homers". They're not expected to have a veneer of objectivity like a professional sportswriter.

What gets me the most is not that this was a very minor paper error. Still it WAS a violation. But TWO days? That seems more than just harsh, it is punitive. IIRC I can't remember another time the Pats lost OTA days in recent history. So they are NOT repeat offenders. So why the 2 days.? The Cowboys lost just one day for being overly physical in a practice, an ACTUAL misstep

I'll tell you why. Because it's just another PUNITIVE piece of ******** being thrown at the Pats for being the Pats. My guess this little piece of Park Ave retribution was because the Pats were one of 5 teams to vote against the ludicrous 25 yd free catch. Those pricks don't need much of an excuse to harm the Pats and make the punishment WELL over what was necessary.

One day I would have been somewhat OK with. Still kind of ridiculous, but it happened. TWO days, is just kicking us when we are down.

WTF!!! time to slaughter this scumbag Goodell like a damned hog...
"Come on piggy!"

deliverance GIF

Could the meeting have had to do with discussing the rule change?

Last edited:
Isn't "homer" an insult sportswriters used to insult other sportswriters?

Of course fans of a team are "homers". They're not expected to have a veneer of objectivity like a professional sportswriter.
I wear homer like a badge of honor

tired of other purported "fans" trying to deride fans by calling them homers... like they maintain some kind of special, scientific objectivity when deal with the team they are "fans" of

A 15 minute special teams meeting posting on a schedule? That's it?

Makes me wonder if it was intentionally done to prevent reporters from seeing the Patriots practice until next week?

This is a nothing story. As others in here have pointed out, the team usually gets a day or two off anyway. I have no idea what they did, but I would think it may very well involve illegal contact during drills. IIRC you are allowed some contact, but nothing "excessive". Seems to me to be an easy line to accidentally cross when you have men fighting for jobs looking to make an impression. NE is hardly the first team to do this and will certainly not be the last.
It can also be, believe it or not, because players spent too much time at the facility (ie not in a practice) or had too much contact with staff.

The NYJFLPA rat dropping a dime for an OTA "violation" for the sake of the players will be silent as the grave as players drop like flies during the first month of the season for lack of conditioning.

I’m glad the union has the players back on this one. Throw the book at them for putting those players go through the stress of a 15 minute meeting and probably without snacks.

Blame the victim. It's the players' fault the owners' have no control over their coaching staff to abide by an agreement after the owners locked out the players.

BB fined 50K. Same fine he got for bumping a ref.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back