PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Lose Two OTAs Due To Rule Violation

If a rule was broken, a rule was broken. Is what it is. I so miss the days of McGinist and Bruschi talking about the 2 and 3 a days. It was such a advantage to get your fringe players to be ready and contribute on a moments notice. Everyone on the same page. Must suck sometimes to be a great coach and have a wealth of knowledge to share and implement, but have so limited amount of time to give it.

I don't care about this. The only way it affects me is that the media won't be able to put out articles about what happened at the OTAs. Honestly I'm not sure non-padded practices matter a whole lot in terms of evaluating players, but usually the media does just that after OTAs.

I

I am a fan who wants to see changes at the top which will put the team on the path to winning and competing for super bowls.
I am not a sheep who blindly follows the flock
No, you aren't a fan. You are a troll. No real reason for you to even be on the board except the mods are both nice and forgiving.

This is a nothing story. As others in here have pointed out, the team usually gets a day or two off anyway. I have no idea what they did, but I would think it may very well involve illegal contact during drills. IIRC you are allowed some contact, but nothing "excessive". Seems to me to be an easy line to accidentally cross when you have men fighting for jobs looking to make an impression. NE is hardly the first team to do this and will certainly not be the last.

I know the homers will work themselves up over this but why the hell does this always happen to us? Why can't we just follow the damn rules? This push the envelope crap has really gotten old. Between the stupid thing with the Bengals, the weird grievance suspension stuff with Bailey, the not officially naming half of our coaches true jobs, and now this. Each one on their own isn't really a big deal and even this isn't the end of the world but with the disaster we saw on offense last year and a new OC with Mac in a make or break year we need every minute of practice time.

This is a nothing story. As others in here have pointed out, the team usually gets a day or two off anyway. I have no idea what they did, but I would think it may very well involve illegal contact during drills. IIRC you are allowed some contact, but nothing "excessive". Seems to me to be an easy line to accidentally cross when you have men fighting for jobs looking to make an impression. NE is hardly the first team to do this and will certainly not be the last.
You forget that the league sees the Pats a "repeat offenders". The Bengals sideline filming thing was also a nothingburger but it was blown out of proportion by the league because of the "repeat offenders" label.

Man, it feels like this board has lost all sense of perspective and common decency. There is nothing about this that should have produced half the vitriol that was immediately spewed in this thread. But that just feels like the nature of things here right now: We start at an 11/10 emotionally and then somehow people try to top that.

Let's get some details about the situation before we start spewing hatred at the team, the league, or other posters, hmm?
Generally any dissenting opinion on here devolves into name calling pretty quickly.

Seems to me to be an easy line to accidentally cross when you have men fighting for jobs looking to make an impression.
That’s a good point. I always assume it’s the coaches that are the cause but players want to impress.

I know the homers will work themselves up over this but why the hell does this always happen to us? Why can't we just follow the damn rules? This push the envelope crap has really gotten old. Between the stupid thing with the Bengals, the weird grievance suspension stuff with Bailey, the not officially naming half of our coaches true jobs, and now this. Each one on their own isn't really a big deal and even this isn't the end of the world but with the disaster we saw on offense last year and a new OC with Mac in a make or break year we need every minute of practice time.
1. Bengals: Kraft's doing, nothing to do with Belichick
2. What do you know about the Bailey situation?
3. Belichick has regularly not named coaches for 23 years, through 9 Super Bowls.
4. Half the league has been docked OTA practices in the last several years.

You forget that the league sees the Pats a "repeat offenders". The Bengals sideline filming thing was also a nothingburger but it was blown out of proportion by the league because of the "repeat offenders" label.
Everyone is really a repeat offender at this point. If you look at the broken rules throughout the years. It's just that Spygate and Deflategate were overblown because the Patriots were the best team. Jets "spied" in 2006 and no one cared. Rodgers was on record as tampering with balls after he got them back from refs. No one cared.

No I didn't forget anything. The Patriots getting screwed over previous incidents has nothing to do with the present. Here they got punished 100% in line with the punishment other teams got during OTA's.

This is dumb (of the league). Extremely dumb.

Basically, a rep from the NFLPA who was observing, felt that listing a 15 min ST meeting in the formal agenda took it from optional to mandatory. That alone, allegedly, is why they were stripped two practices.

That’s stunningly stupid. The league can **** right off, and fully support the Pats in flipping the bird to the league.

Weird... so it's OK to have a 15 min special teams group meeting, but if it is put onto any type of formal / written schedule posted or circulated to people by email or text, then it has to be considered an illegal "mandatory meeting" rather than a legal "optional meeting".

Do I have that right? So stupid.

In the voice of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious:

"
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it was a meeting violation. According to the source, an observer from the NFL Players Association believed that one of the optional early offseason meetings was a violation, because the 15-minute meeting in question (a special-teams session) was made visible on the internal schedule. In the opinion of the NFLPA, placing the meeting on the formal schedule converted it from “optional” to “mandatory.”

The violation, per the source, had nothing to do with activities on the practice field, including whether or not there was impermissible contact.
Given the consequences, it was an unforced error that forces the Patriots to lose 20 percent of their OTA sessions for 2023."

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back