PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Host QB Will Levis as Part of Their Top 30 Visits

Do you think he's so steadfast in his unbending ways that he'd give the guy away? Rhetorical. My comment is directed at guys like you who would rather be right so you can say "HA! I TOLD YOU GUYS!" here in the forum than you would have the guy succeed and, as a result, have the team win. I have made the point before:

. Yes I think Bill is resentful and with his career his prestige he can pick and choose his favorites. Mac essentially did nothing to support his good friend Matt who right or wrong Bill entrusted with the offense.

. Mac then went behind Bills back right or wrong for help and for his frustration with the staff.

. That move made Mac question Bills ability as the head coach. A man with such pride and bravado does not take that lightly.

. Enter the fact that Bill has shown he doesn’t trust Mac on multiple occasions.
1. The Buffalo wind game
2. Not allowing Mac to throw Hail Marys then publicly saying I didn’t think he could get it there.

. Now going back to the Buff game, I thought about this Bill is a smart coach and doesn’t want the wind to affect the trajectory of the balls and protecting the football is the utmost importance. So I said ok I can buy that. Mac is a rookie no matter how well he played he was still a rookie and Bill wasn’t ready to put the game on his shoulders also very valid.
Then I thought about if Bill had Aaron Rodgers or Tom or Mahommes would Bill risk throwing more passes I think he would have called at least 15 to 20 pass passes plays.

. Now If reports are true that Bill doesn’t see a huge drop off to Zappe from Mac.
And Zappe has a year behind Mac then it only make sense that Bill if he really dislikes coaching Mac that he would roll the dice with Zappe and drafting a QB early.

I’m trying to think like Bill here and this is how I think he will proceed.

I'm not sure how I would feel about this.

I get it from a physical talent standpoint. But I don't know the locker room will react to trading and giving up on Mac Jones

I think Belichick is in danger of losing the locker room with the way he has been treating Mac. I am sure most of the locker room blames Belichick more than Mac for last year and making Mac the scapegoat has to rub them the wrong way. Even if there are guys who don't think Mac is the answer.

If Belichick does trade away Mac, he will need to find someone who can get the Pats to the playoffs or far look better than Mac did his rookie year if they replace him in the draft. They trade way Mac and this team looks like last year, Belichick will lose the team. There are very few guys left on this team from 2018 who have played with Belichick when he was successful.

. Yes I think Bill is resentful and with his career his prestige he can pick and choose his favorites. Mac essentially did nothing to support his good friend Matt who right or wrong Bill entrusted with the offense.

. Mac then went behind Bills back right or wrong for help and for his frustration with the staff.

. That move made Mac question Bills ability as the head coach. A man with such pride and bravado does not take that lightly.

. Enter the fact that Bill has shown he doesn’t trust Mac on multiple occasions.
1. The Buffalo wind game
2. Not allowing Mac to throw Hail Marys then publicly saying I didn’t think he could get it there.

. Now going back to the Buff game, I thought about this Bill is a smart coach and doesn’t want the wind to affect the trajectory of the balls and protecting the football is the utmost importance. So I said ok I can buy that. Mac is a rookie no matter how well he played he was still a rookie and Bill wasn’t ready to put the game on his shoulders also very valid.
Then I thought about if Bill had Aaron Rodgers or Tom or Mahommes would Bill risk throwing more passes I think he would have called at least 15 to 20 pass passes plays.

. Now If reports are true that Bill doesn’t see a huge drop off to Zappe from Mac.
And Zappe has a year behind Mac then it only make sense that Bill if he really dislikes coaching Mac that he would roll the dice with Zappe and drafting a QB early.

You see what you want to see.

I think Belichick is in danger of losing the locker room with the way he has been treating Mac. I am sure most of the locker room blames Belichick more than Mac for last year and making Mac the scapegoat has to rub them the wrong way. Even if there are guys who don't think Mac is the answer.

If Belichick does trade away Mac, he will need to find someone who can get the Pats to the playoffs or far look better than Mac did his rookie year if they replace him in the draft. They trade way Mac and this team looks like last year, Belichick will lose the team. There are very few guys left on this team from 2018 who have played with Belichick when he was successful.

I honestly think this is what is going to happen.

This will be the pick that blows up the internet. Belichick always likes to show the world he’s the smartest guy in the room, by making insane draft moves. Mostly failing, but he does it nonetheles. Book it, he will trade Mac for a 3rd round pick, and draft Levis. It’ll be his last **** you pick on his way out, and a middle finger to Kraft.

Rob I usually agree with you on here, but boy I have completely disagreed with your take on Mac. I think the last thing he wants is to be coddled, and I think the fastest way to lose the locker room is to have Mac come in and be outplayed by whomever and still be guaranteed the job.

This will be the pick that blows up the internet. Belichick always likes to show the world he’s the smartest guy in the room, by making insane draft moves. Mostly failing, but he does it nonetheles. Book it, he will trade Mac for a 3rd round pick, and draft Levis. It’ll be his last **** you pick on his way out, and a middle finger to Kraft.

We would have to move up to 3.

This Belichick quote was in 2017 do you think he’s grown more tolerant?
He said, 'At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that's it. ' He said, 'I'm not going to coach anybody else. '”
This quote has been around so long that context has just disappeared. Why focus on the vague second hand comment from Urban Meyer when Belichick told the coaching clinic attendees first hand what he looks for in a player?

For me, tough, smart, dependable. That’s where I would start. Tough -- mentally and physically. Smart -- good decisions, good football understanding, high football IQ. Dependable -- [in] critical situations, you can count on those players to perform under pressure. You can count on those players to execute what you want to execute as a team. The tougher the game, the more critical the game, the more important the situation, the more I want the tough, smart, dependable player in the game, in the eye of the storm, making a decision that needs to be made for us to win.

Wow.
Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Rob I usually agree with you on here, but boy I have completely disagreed with your take on Mac. I think the last thing he wants is to be coddled, and I think the fastest way to lose the locker room is to have Mac come in and be outplayed by whomever and still be guaranteed the job.

As of right now, there is no one on the roster who realistically has a chance to beat out Mac for the starting job. Zappe would have to make a massive jump to make it a real QB competition.

If someone actually beats out Mac, that is different than staging a QB competition because Belichick is pissed off at Mac and wants to make him earn his job back. If someone legitimately beats him out, that is different. And I think the players would not be upset if someone was legitimately better than Jones.

Several reporters have spoken to players and they have gotten feedback that the players are not happy at the way Belichick has handled this situation. The problem with Belichick's coaching style is that when you cannot back up your coaching with success, you turn off the players. That is why most of Belichick's disciples have been awful head coaches. You cannot coach like Belichick and not win and not lose the locker room.

This quote has been around so long that context has just disappeared. Why focus on the vague second hand comment from Urban Meyer when Belichick told the coaching clinic attendees first hand what he looks for in a player?

For me, tough, smart, dependable. That’s where I would start. Tough -- mentally and physically. Smart -- good decisions, good football understanding, high football IQ. Dependable -- [in] critical situations, you can count on those players to perform under pressure. You can count on those players to execute what you want to execute as a team. The tougher the game, the more critical the game, the more important the situation, the more I want the tough, smart, dependable player in the game, in the eye of the storm, making a decision that needs to be made for us to win.

Does any of that sound like Mac?

Something to keep in mind with these 30 visits, is they're not really an indicator of what the team is prioritizing in a vacuum. For 99% of the guys they could be drafting, they can get all the information they need from watching college tape, combine results, combine interviews, or giving their coaches a call in some cases. What these visits are good for or checking on guys that may have questions outside of the normal evaluations:

- Giving physicals for guys with recent injuries
- Asking questions about recent character concerns
- Drilling them on scheme if they're from a program that runs a very different one than you have
- Finding out if a guy with a questionable reputation for work ethic is actually dedicated.

In Levis' case, I think it's a few things: They want to do diligence on QBs, because it's the single most important position on the field. They know that Young and Stroud aren't falling to them, and likely think Richardson is gone by then too, so they bring Levis in as the only potential top guy who could drop. From what I've read, kid has the raw physical tools to succeed, so what you need to find out is if he has the IT factor, that drive to keep working on his craft and shore up the areas where he's weak. Basically, is he the next Josh Allen, or the next Zack Wilson?

If he's the next Josh Allen (in their minds), I think they'd be willing to take him, regardless of how they feel about Mac on his own. I doubt they'll be able to learn enough to be THAT sure of it, but that's what this is about: If we feel this is the next top-5 guy in the league, can we pass on him at 14? Let's bring him in and find out if he's actually that guy and go from there.

For the record, I think he's more likely to be Wilson than Allen. But it's worth one of their visits, because there aren't 30 guys in the draft that they NEED to have visit Foxboro in order to learn everything they need to about him.

As of right now, there is no one on the roster who realistically has a chance to beat out Mac for the starting job. Zappe would have to make a massive jump to make it a real QB competition.

If someone actually beats out Mac, that is different than staging a QB competition because Belichick is pissed off at Mac and wants to make him earn his job back. If someone legitimately beats him out, that is different. And I think the players would not be upset if someone was legitimately better than Jones.

Several reporters have spoken to players and they have gotten feedback that the players are not happy at the way Belichick has handled this situation. The problem with Belichick's coaching style is that when you cannot back up your coaching with success, you turn off the players. That is why most of Belichick's disciples have been awful head coaches. You cannot coach like Belichick and not win and not lose the locker room.
Actually this is pretty much all wrong. All of the information coming out I have seen has painted a picture of Mac and Zappe being basically interchangeable. You are either undervaluing Zappe or over valuing Mac. If that is the case, and honestly, last year the results certainly paint that picture, then why would they be saying Mac is the starter? It has been very clear from the front office that the job is not going to be given to Mac, there may be a question as to whether that is simply to push him to work harder, or if they really do believe there is little separating the two, but either way they disagree with pretty much everything you posted. Further, most of the concerns raised by the players, that I saw, was about the handling of the Chicago game. Which at this point is water over the dam.

Heck, I like Mac and hope he is amazing, but I also don't think everyone deserves a trophy, and the only ones that mean anything are the ones you earn. He has to win the job, it isn't going to be given to him.

Actually this is pretty much all wrong. All of the information coming out I have seen has painted a picture of Mac and Zappe being basically interchangeable. You are either undervaluing Zappe or over valuing Mac. If that is the case, and honestly, last year the results certainly paint that picture, then why would they be saying Mac is the starter? It has been very clear from the front office that the job is not going to be given to Mac, there may be a question as to whether that is simply to push him to work harder, or if they really do believe there is little separating the two, but either way they disagree with pretty much everything you posted. Further, most of the concerns raised by the players, that I saw, was about the handling of the Chicago game. Which at this point is water over the dam.

No it isn't. Even Albert Breer's report (which is what you are referencing) only states they are pretty much the same physically, but Jones has the edge mentally. Bedard says he knows Breer's source and that that source has an ax to grind with Jones.

But virtually every one else has said that it isn't a real QB competition and that Jones will not lose his starting job. This seems more like a message to Mac to toe the company line and don't speak out.

That trade should get BB fired immediately.
At best you'd swap them straight up, and it should be the 49ers including a 5th or 6th (at the minimum) with Lance since Jones has been the better player overall thus far, or at least the one who has shown the most.

Anyone who puts mayonnaise in their coffee is a no…

One of the few times we agree on something. And yes, that's absolutely disgusting.

1. The Buffalo wind game

You really enjoy creating drama, don't you? You are overthinking this whole off-season football fan thing.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back