PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have the #1 defense (PPG) in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called rational thought. This team hasn't played a decent offense all year. The closest they have come is Seattle- who they gave up over 30 points to. They are thin at corner and incredibly thin at DE talent wise.
If they go out and get shredded next week by an awful Jets team people will be talking about how they are the worst defense in the history of football. And it will be equally stupid. People are overreacting to two good games against a bad offense and an even worse offense.

I'm trying to take the reasonable position, the long view and all the homers who can't see the forest through the trees are having name calling, poop slinging, temper tantrums. It reminds me of what happens when you present facts to an SJW or a feminist. They just come unglued.

But you are not using rational thought.

-This defense held a team that averaged 21 ppg to 3 in their home stadium and were fighting for their playoff lives.

- They've played well against two teams fighting for their playoff lives over the last two weeks.

- Despite the "eye test" they lead the league in Scoring D. Which means they have held their opponents below their average scoring more so than other defenses.

- The defense needs to be good enough to complement the offense or vice versa and they do with an assist from special teams.

Those are rational thoughts.

#1 PPG Allowed
#10 YPG Allowed
#3 Run defense
#17 Pass defense (eh it's only really had 2 awful games, 2nd half vs lolphins and vs Seattle)
# 7 3rd down

And those rankings are trending upwards. When the 3rd down *****ing started they ranked in the mid 20's.

#1 PPG Allowed
#10 YPG Allowed
#3 Run defense
#17 Pass defense (eh it's only really had 2 awful games, 2nd half vs lolphins and vs Seattle)
# 7 3rd down

On the pass defense I'd be curious where we rank on pass defense when the ball is on the Patriot's side of the field. Obviously I'm not sure but I suspect we would see a noticeable jump in ranking.

I have them at 14.5 PPG actually

Refs gifted a TD to the jills at the end with 30 seconds left
Garbage time TD against the Rams with 1 minute left
14 points to the ****birds because of ST miscues

And the two garbage time TDs were the definition of garbage time.

On the pass defense I'd be curious where we rank on pass defense when the ball is on the Patriot's side of the field. Obviously I'm not sure but I suspect we would see a noticeable jump in ranking.

That's probably true for a lot of teams since things tighten up in the red zone.

People really need to get a grip. How well did that bend but don't break thing work out in 2007 and 2010?

Eventually this team is going to have to make a stand against a very good offense with a playoff game on the line. If you feel comfortable in that situation, with the talent we have here, you are delusional.
Oakland, Pitt again and some of the NFC teams are going to be tough but this defense has played great the last few weeks and against some good competition.

Oakland, Pitt again and some of the NFC teams are going to be tough but this defense has played great the last few weeks and against some good competition.

The only QB in the AFC that really concerns me is Roeth. Maybe Flacco but they are not the team that they were. Carr is not the same Qb. Smith, Moore, Mariota and QB in HOU du jour can be neutrailized in Foxboro.

In the NFC, they have 4-5 QBs that can cause this team problems.

Ryan
Rodgers
Stafford
Prescott (I'm less sold on him as I think teams have figured him out)
Wilson
Eli

Here's the thing: people crap on the detractors, and for good reason at times, but it is 100% true that this defense has faced a collection of pretty bad offensive teams this season. The only top-10 in pts/game they've faced is Buffalo (twice), in fact the only other top-half teams they've played are Pittsburg (without Roethlisberger) and Arizona in week 1. They've played the three worst teams in PPG (Rams, Jets, Browns) and SF, Houston, Cincy and Denver are all bottom-10 as well--that's SEVEN bottom-10 teams, just one top-10 (which is just 9th).

So there's reason to question how much this defense has been tested, it's completely legitimate.

BUT, they've been playing phenomenal lately, regardless of opponent. Certain individuals (Brown, Flowers, Van Noy in particular) have really stepped up lately, others (Branch, Butler, Hightower) have been steady forces, and the defense has been disciplined, aggressive and opportunistic. It's been super encouraging to see them play this well and improve as the season's worn on, I think health permitting this is a near elite defense, to go with the elite offense, it's an incredibly well-rounded team on the whole.

Here's the thing: people crap on the detractors, and for good reason at times, but it is 100% true that this defense has faced a collection of pretty bad offensive teams this season. The only top-10 in pts/game they've faced is Buffalo (twice), in fact the only other top-half teams they've played are Pittsburg (without Roethlisberger) and Arizona in week 1. They've played the three worst teams in PPG (Rams, Jets, Browns) and SF, Houston, Cincy and Denver are all bottom-10 as well--that's SEVEN bottom-10 teams, just one top-10 (which is just 9th).

So there's reason to question how much this defense has been tested, it's completely legitimate.

BUT, they've been playing phenomenal lately, regardless of opponent. Certain individuals (Brown, Flowers, Van Noy in particular) have really stepped up lately, others (Branch, Butler, Hightower) have been steady forces, and the defense has been disciplined, aggressive and opportunistic. It's been super encouraging to see them play this well and improve as the season's worn on, I think health permitting this is a near elite defense, to go with the elite offense, it's an incredibly well-rounded team on the whole.

We crap on the chicken littles because they have been crying for 15 years and never stop. This has been the greatest run of success we will ever see and they simply cannot stop with the negativity, and then, when they win the Suoer Bowl they say " I was with them all the way," with 2014 as the best example of this, when those who stood by them were literally called every name in the book, and those who ripped themmercilessly acted as if they were right all along.

2016 is the Patriots best scoring D since 2006, 4th best under BB, and better than 2 of the super bowl-winning teams (2001, 2014). Given that rule changes favoring the offense have become more common over the past 15 seasons, one might say that the 2016 D is better than some defenses that allowed fewer points, however

from profootballreference.com
Patriots defenses under Belichick, defenses ranked by ppg allowed:

1) 2006 Points Against: 237 (14.8/g) 2nd of 32
2) 2003 Points Against: 238 (14.9/g) 1st of 32
3) 2004 Points Against: 260 (16.3/g) 2nd of 32
4) 2016 Points Against: 233 (16.6/g) 1st of 32
5) 2001 Points Against: 272 (17.0/g) 6th of 31
6) 2007 Points Against: 274 (17.1/g) 4th of 32
7) 2009 Points Against: 285 (17.8/g) 5th of 32
8) 2008 Points Against: 309 (19.3/g) 8th of 32
9-10)
2010 Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 8th of 32
2014 Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 8th of 32
11) 2015 Points Against: 315 (19.7/g) 10th of 32
12) 2012 Points Against: 331 (20.7/g) 9th of 32
13-15)
2000 Points Against: 338 (21.1/g) 17th of 31
2005 Points Against: 338 (21.1/g) 17th of 32
2013 Points Against: 338 (21.1/g) 10th of 32
16) 2011 Points Against: 342 (21.4/g) 15th of 32
17) 2002 Points Against: 346 (21.6/g) 17th of 32

That's probably true for a lot of teams since things tighten up in the red zone.
Agreed but I suspect the Patriots numbers/ranking improves with a higher jump than the general NFL jump of improvement. I don't know this for a fact it is just my hunch.

2016 is the Patriots best scoring D since 2006, 4th best under BB, and better than 2 of the super bowl-winning teams (2001, 2014). Given that rule changes favoring the offense have become more common over the past 15 seasons, one might say that the 2016 D is better than some defenses that allowed fewer points, however

1) 2006 Points Against: 237 (14.8/g) 2nd of 32
2) 2003 Points Against: 238 (14.9/g) 1st of 32
3) 2004 Points Against: 260 (16.3/g) 2nd of 32
4) 2016 Points Against: 233 (16.6/g) 1st of 32
5) 2001 Points Against: 272 (17.0/g) 6th of 31
6) 2007 Points Against: 274 (17.1/g) 4th of 32
7) 2009 Points Against: 285 (17.8/g) 5th of 32
9-10)
2010 Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 8th of 32
2014 Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 8th of 32
11) 2015 Points Against: 315 (19.7/g) 10th of 32
12) 2012 Points Against: 331 (20.7/g) 9th of 32
13-15)
2000 Points Against: 338 (21.1/g) 17th of 31
2005 Points Against: 338 (21.1/g) 17th of 32
2013 Points Against: 338 (21.1/g) 10th of 32
16) 2011 Points Against: 342 (21.4/g) 15th of 32
17) 2002 Points Against: 346 (21.6/g) 17th of 32

This team can be in the argument for the best Pats team, if they finish.
The offense is more balanced that almost all others. Brady has more weapons that most years, if Gronk were not injured, arguably most ever.
The defense has literally had only 1 game all season that wasn't good.

1) 2006 Points Against: 237 (14.8/g) 2nd of 32 (-5.9)
2) 2003 Points Against: 238 (14.9/g) 1st of 32 (-5.9)
3) 2004 Points Against: 260 (16.3/g) 2nd of 32 9 (-5.2)
4) 2016 Points Against: 233 (16.6/g) 1st of 32 (-5.9)
5) 2001 Points Against: 272 (17.0/g) 6th of 31 (-3.2)
6) 2007 Points Against: 274 (17.1/g) 4th of 32 (-4.6)
7) 2009 Points Against: 285 (17.8/g) 5th of 32 (-3.7)
9-10) (-2.7)
2010 Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 8th of 32 (-2.4)
2014 Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 8th of 32 (-3)

I added numbers in parentheses which show the D's average vs the league average for pointed allowed per team.

2016 is tied with 03 and 06.

Not bad company.

We crap on the chicken littles because they have been crying for 15 years and never stop. This has been the greatest run of success we will ever see and they simply cannot stop with the negativity, and then, when they win the Suoer Bowl they say " I was with them all the way," with 2014 as the best example of this, when those who stood by them were literally called every name in the book, and those who ripped themmercilessly acted as if they were right all along.
Oh no doubt, and I said it's fair to crap on certain members who are serial abusers of the 'sky is falling' angle.

But it's also fair to be objective about this defense, and note that they truly haven't faced much in terms of elite--or even decent--NFL offenses. They can only play who's on the schedule, and they've been the best in the NFL in limiting points to date. It's highly encouraging to see them trending the way they have, they seem to be gelling at the right time and some new faces have been emerging as potential 'impact' players, which is great to see. But it is still troubling--to me, at least--that we haven't seen this defense against the better offenses of the NFL. Doesn't mean this defense isn't good, because I think they're at least top-10 on talent and production, but seeing a few instances of them stepping up against good offensive competition would make me feel a lot better going into the playoffs, and they just haven't had an opportunity to do that given their schedule.

Wow....that's amazing!!! Maybe we've underestimated these guys.....

All the comparison does is demonstrate that when comparing the PA average vs the league average, they have the same differential as the 03 and 06 defenses.

I think it is universally accepted that those defenses were very good.

Oh no doubt, and I said it's fair to crap on certain members who are serial abusers of the 'sky is falling' angle.

But it's also fair to be objective about this defense, and note that they truly haven't faced much in terms of elite--or even decent--NFL offenses. They can only play who's on the schedule, and they've been the best in the NFL in limiting points to date. It's highly encouraging to see them trending the way they have, they seem to be gelling at the right time and some new faces have been emerging as potential 'impact' players, which is great to see. But it is still troubling--to me, at least--that we haven't seen this defense against the better offenses of the NFL. Doesn't mean this defense isn't good, because I think they're at least top-10 on talent and production, but seeing a few instances of them stepping up against good offensive competition would make me feel a lot better going into the playoffs, and they just haven't had an opportunity to do that given their schedule.

As you said they can only play those on their schedule but the Ravens put up around 70 points in the fish and Eagles on the two games bracketing their game in NE, and the Patriots shut them down as well as the Broncos in Denver. I agree there have been times their defense has played soft and poorly, I also believe they have some weaknesses in terms of ability, most notably their athleticism at OLB, however I think most teams face similar issues as having the talent and physical ability to take on 310 lb OL as well as covering running backs out of the backfield and athletic TEs is almost impossible to find. Because of the difficulty of playing good defense in the NFL playing as a unit and being on the same page is critical to success, and although it took some time to get there it appears Patricia has them playing excellent team football at the most important time of the of the year.

As far as the chicken littles go I'm just completely sick of them. They should find another team to "support" because this one clearly isn't good enough for them. Their constant carping that Belichick doesn't know what he's doing is disgraceful. In truth they are morons who simply can't admit that they don't know what they are talking about, they are absolutely no different than Borges, CHB, and the other idiots who do nothing more than look for sh.t to cry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes