PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have the #1 defense (PPG) in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Flowers is turning into the anti-Jones. He seems to be getting stronger as the season goes along.
Leads the Pats with 7 sacks. Would love to see him become a force. Would love to see him get 3 more sacks to finish in double digits, and then be a beast in the playoffs.

The defense has looked overwhelmed at times year, a couple games being pretty bad. But I swear people just forget how a BB works: start out slow in the beginning of the year, with lots of experimentation, and over the year they just get better and better. I gave up worrying about the D in the first two thirds of the season, it's the last third they turn it on. If the defense is still bad after week 10, that's when I start to worry.

That said, this year has been interesting with the jettison of Collins midway through the season. That, plus the Sheard benching really seemed to get the D going.

This Defense has not just done well in PPG but really passed the eye test the last 4 weeks. They look fast, hard hitting and are getting more exotic (though this was more of a play em straight up game). Pressure is starting to get there and we are really getting solid play from our 2nd LB spot now.

Butler/Ryan/Rowe is coming along well and they really do well making sure the match ups work.

Brown has really stepped up and our safety play has been 2nd to none the past 4-5 games.

This Defense has not just done well in PPG but really passed the eye test the last 4 weeks. They look fast, hard hitting and are getting more exotic (though this was more of a play em straight up game). Pressure is starting to get there and we are really getting solid play from our 2nd LB spot now.

Butler/Ryan/Rowe is coming along well and they really do well making sure the match ups work.

Brown has really stepped up and our safety play has been 2nd to none the past 4-5 games.
Strange what you can do when guys are in the positions they're supposed to be. ;)

TB is ave 12.8ppg in the last 5 games

Last 5 NEP are allowing 14ppg and should be less no thanks to Jones and Slater.

They've been able to generate a pass rush by rushing four men regularly. Anytime you can do that, you're going to play good defense. Let's just hope it can hold up through early February. They did what they were supposed to do and dominated a bad offense. Kudos.

The defense has looked overwhelmed at times year, a couple games being pretty bad. But I swear people just forget how a BB works: start out slow in the beginning of the year, with lots of experimentation, and over the year they just get better and better. I gave up worrying about the D in the first two thirds of the season, it's the last third they turn it on. If the defense is still bad after week 10, that's when I start to worry.

That said, this year has been interesting with the jettison of Collins midway through the season. That, plus the Sheard benching really seemed to get the D going.
What teans defense are you talking about? New England's has literally had one bad game all year.

People really need to get a grip. How well did that bend but don't break thing work out in 2007 and 2010?

Eventually this team is going to have to make a stand against a very good offense with a playoff game on the line. If you feel comfortable in that situation, with the talent we have here, you are delusional.
Man, you don't know much about football

This is the best defense we've had since 2004

But maybe you're too young to remember :D

Last edited:
For ****s sake someone find me a gif of McCourty laying out DT

Yeah but look at all the YARDS we allow... :/

I mean what if we're in the Super Bowl and we win the score by 3 and hold the other team to no touchdowns but the other team rolls up 500 yards on us?
I have a brother that *****es and moans about everything. Whether it's a trade he doesn't agree with or Gronk's injury, it's always negative.

Like everything in life, Patsfans can't seek or even expect perfection. We're never going to have the best offense, defense, special teams, game plan, etc all rolled into one team

Every year can't be a "if we don't win the super bowl, we suck" year. If we don't win the super bowl, oh well...deal with it

There's always next year.

Sure, I'd love to win them all. But I'm fuggn ok if we don't. I guess I realize how fortunate I am to have witnessed the past 15 years.

But this year would be sweet for TFB

Last edited:
The team is 14 games into the season.

If you are still a doubter then there is no hope for you.

This is a very good D. It's too bad you can't see that.

Exactly. It's one thing to be skeptical regarding a smaller fraction of a season. But when you are talking a 14 game sample it is compelling. And while I don't think this is the second coming of the 85 Bears, the D has provided enough film to realize they are good.
And when you place the D within the complimentary football formula, there is no doubt, none, zero that Patriot O + Patriot D = best team in football. As of right now when the Patriots are playing well they will beat the "playing well" of anyone else.

Opponents are 9-40 on 3rd down the past 3 games. That's a much more important/encouraging stat to me.

Certainly an important stat, however, explain how that is a more important stat than how many points allowed on the scoreboard.

Miami, Seattle, and they didn't exactly light the world on fire against the Pittsburgh back up.
Miami scored points against a prevent defense protecting a lead with a rookie QB playing.

Pittsburgh scored 16 points that is not a bad game against any one.

For ****s sake someone find me a gif of McCourty laying out DT

Nobody has mentioned it, but who thinks the T. J. Ward's hit on Edelman was an attempt at retaliation to that play? Of course, the two also have a history. So maybe it was just that.

It's called rational thought. This team hasn't played a decent offense all year. The closest they have come is Seattle- who they gave up over 30 points to. They are thin at corner and incredibly thin at DE talent wise.
If they go out and get shredded next week by an awful Jets team people will be talking about how they are the worst defense in the history of football. And it will be equally stupid. People are overreacting to two good games against a bad offense and an even worse offense.

I'm trying to take the reasonable position, the long view and all the homers who can't see the forest through the trees are having name calling, poop slinging, temper tantrums. It reminds me of what happens when you present facts to an SJW or a feminist. They just come unglued.
urrGVDK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick