PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have signed veteran DL Ricky Jean-Francois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he has, unfortunately. And now going right back on it. So the Pats only get one of mm or vv. Stupid rule but it is what it is.
So even though he hadn't been activated, he'd been removed from IR?

So even though he hadn't been activated, he'd been removed from IR?
My understanding was that he was "declared" as one of the 2 Pat's coming off ir and that it was past the point of no return. Miguel goes into a little more detail. Its a stupid rule because the Pats are now only going to get one player instead of two. That goes against the " spirit" of the rule. I'd expect they'll tweak the rule this offseason,as BB and Kraft will surely bring it up. But doesn't help us now.

That stupid rule needs to be change! I think this move with Francois might mean they're willing to bring mitchell back.

Never been a big fan of this guy

That stupid rule needs to be change! I think this move with Francois might mean they're willing to bring mitchell back.
Or they need somebody to cover for Malcom Brown.

We had the choice. When a player is healthy enough, we had the opportunity to take 2 players of IR and have them practice. After a couple of weeks, we could chose to put them on the 53, or put them back on IR. We chose to take McClellan off IR. HE HAD A RELAPSE. If he were healthy, he'd be activated.

Maybe. I hope brown's back soon. We don't need another player down on the defensive side.
We can wait until he's fully healthy. We have Branch, Guy, and Butler for now, and Jean-Franscios for emergencies.

Anyone have some tape on Jean-Franscios?

We had the choice. When a player is healthy enough, we had the opportunity to take 2 players of IR and have them practice. After a couple of weeks, we could chose to put them on the 53, or put them back on IR. We chose to take McClellan off IR. HE HAD A RELAPSE. If he were healthy, he'd be activated.
Yes but the rule still needs tweaking. Bottom line is Shea was never activated to play a game. This defeats the whole point of the rule in the first place. Should be some kind of provision for players in Shea's situation, that allows a replacement if he has a relapse before being activated for a single game.
Matter of fact, the NFL rules around ir are stupid. I'd like to see it more like mlb's dl- you can replace an injured player with anyone you want. You get 53 active players,use who you want.

Matter of fact, the NFL rules around ir are stupid. I'd like to see it more like mlb's dl- you can replace an injured player with anyone you want. You get 53 active players,use who you want.

That seems to be your real agenda.

IMHO, the harder and more rigid the rules, the greater advantage to the patriots.

For example, many people want 53 men active for each game (I suppose would include the PS). That would simply make it easier for weaker coaching staffs.

Dealing with injuries is a difficulty for all teams. Belichick deals with them better than any coach in the league. Our players are more flexible in what they can do than players of any other team.

We've added at DT today. We added Reilly, a LB. We have Flowers. They'll play of necessary, and probably be OK. If need be, Belichick will add a player or two, and have them for an emergency role, perhaps Ayers.

That seems to be your real agenda.

IMHO, the harder and more rigid the rules, the greater advantage to the patriots.

For example, many people want 53 men active for each game (I suppose would include the PS). That would simply make it easier for weaker coaching staffs.

Dealing with injuries is a difficulty for all teams. Belichick deals with them better than any coach in the league. Our players are more flexible in what they can do than players of any other team.

We've added at DT today. We added Reilly, a LB. We have Flowers. They'll play of necessary, and probably be OK. If need be, Belichick will add a player or two, and have them for an emergency role, perhaps Ayers.

Having an IR that, by default, keeps healthy players from returning is stupid. That's not an agenda issue. That's just common sense. Finding a way to minimize/avoid shenanigans while allowing for injuries and injury return really shouldn't be all that difficult. Just using what they've got now, it would be an easy fix.

Having an IR that, by default, keeps healthy players from returning is stupid. That's not an agenda issue. That's just common sense. Finding a way to minimize/avoid shenanigans while allowing for injuries and injury return really shouldn't be all that difficult. Just using what they've got now, it would be an easy fix.

Very well said.
In a nutshell, my feelings exactly.

Never understood the logic of IR and only allowing 2 to return, except for some incident in the 90's, if you have a verifiable injury early in the season and recover then you should be able to play when able to do so..

Makes no sense to pay these guys if able to play the game, McClellin case is a very good example..why lose that exemption??

Interesting aside, Francois owns 30 D & D shops, knew a guy who owned several D & D shops and he told me his profit margin was $.40 on the dollar, every time I pass a D & D shop with a long line of cars think about that.. lot of cash flowing through those stores.

^ thats actually interesting to me regarding Dunkin stores. I wonder what the profit margin is at Chic fil a restaurants. They must be printing money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes