PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cut OL Caleb Benenoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our OT's are Wynn, Cannon, Newhouse, Cunningham and Cajuste.

It is indeed disappointing that we don't have even one OT on the 53 capable of being the Game Day OT. Perhaps Eluemunor can be trust at LT more than Ferentz can be counted on at OG.

I'm not sure what would happen on Game Day with an injury at OT. I presume that Eluemunor would come in to finish the series, and then Thuney would move over.
=========
Dante and BB can't be panicking much. It would seem that, if they wanted to, they could
use a draft pick to get a swing OT. They might have to use a 3rd, but it seems that it would be possible.
=======
Apparently, the plan is to limp through the early part of the season, and then be OK when Wynn comes back, with Newhouse as the swing OT.

And yes, I would be fine with trading for an upgrade to Cunningham.

So currently, Cunningham is our backup tackle that is on the roster? I'm not counting Skipper since he is on the PS. Cunningham is a young guy right? He hasn't hit his ceiling yet?

since 2015, BB has swung and missed a lot in the draft..

Since 2015, Belichick has gone to 3 straight SBs and won 2.

The draft defeats make me inconsolable..........

Continued from above...*

Round 5:

2013 - None
2014 - None
2015 - Cardona
2016 - None
2017 - None
2018 - Bentley
2019 - Cowart, Bailey

Round 6:

2013 - None
2014 - None
2015 - None
2016 - Karras, Roberts
2017 - None
2018 - None
2019 - None

Round 7:

2013 - None
2014 - None
2015 - None
2016 - None
2017 - None
2018 - Izzo
2019 - None

The truth is that the team hit a down patch when it comes to the draft. It happens. I think it's fair to say that BB's Patriots draft history has had 2 boom cycles and 2 down cycles. That doesn't make the team lousy at drafting. It makes the team pretty much like everyone else. What's probably been the biggest difference about this down cycle has been the relative absence of the first round success. The reasons for that absence are varied, but the end result is the same.

*Note: Any missed player(s) would be solely due to unintentional error on my part, as I pulled the data by going over the draft, player by player.

Ok, well done. But there is an alternate narrative. BB prefers veterans and would rather not play rookies, younger players for whatever reason (I don’t think BB wanted to draft anyone in 2017). So he gets scrap heap vets, accomplished vets and then gets a little from the draft and a little from UDFAs, where the Pats excel.

To get a more accurate read on how good his drafts have been I think we’d have to look at who they drafted and whether those players are playing a significant role on an NFL team (Tavon Wilson, Duke Dawson, Joe Halapio, Jacoby Brissett, Cameron Fleming, Malcolm Brown and the list goes on). Those players were beaten out by veterans or UDFAs. So that must be taken into account and is a big reason why the Pats don’t seem to draft that well.

The continual lamenting of how pee poor BB is at drafting is a lot nauseating, one might think that reading this post that the Pats are a downtrodden team with little success..

The draft is one way to build this team, and they explore every venue available.. as bad as the drafting seems to be there are 8 rookies on this squad.. several have not played this season due to depth issues.. then there are all the UDFA's on this team.

The draft is one of many ways to build a roster, and the Pats use every possibility to build another Super Bowl contending team..

Compartmentalize it how ever you want, the draft whiffs have been glaring in recent years.

Lazy, no. Intellectually dishonest, lil bit.

Maybe you were just being funny, but I don't think it is intellectually dishonest at all. It sparked a discussion about the quality of the Patriots' drafting. I don't think it is entirely accurate, but he has a point.

Maybe you were just being funny, but I don't think it is intellectually dishonest at all. It sparked a discussion about the quality of the Patriots' drafting. I don't think it is entirely accurate, but he has a point.
He has a little point, but he left out key facts that have already pointed out. For example, 3 of those years the Pats didn't draft in the first round, Jimmy G etc... When a point is strong, one doesn't have to leave out key details.

The team currently has only one first round pick from 2013-2019 currently on the team and active.

2013 first round pick - None
2014 first round pick - None
2015 first round pick - None
2016 first round pick - None
2017 first round pick - None
2018 first round picks - Wynn (IR), Michel
2019 first round pick - Harry (IR)

And the second round really isn't any better:

2013 - Collins
2014 - None
2015 - None
2016 - None
2017 - None
2018 - None
2019 - Williams

I doubt you'll find that to be like every other team. The team's had some down drafts in recent years, particularly at the top.
Looks like Belichick agreed with you and decided to rectify the situation.....

Looks like Belichick agreed with you and decided to rectify the situation.....

Now we've had our second round picks from 2013 and 2015 return. Whose next? Trade for Cyrus Jones?

And yet despite all those misses somehow he was able to reshape the defense into an utterly elite unit that is deep up front and absolutely stacked in the back.

Did Garcia have blood clot issues BEFORE being drafted?
I thought they happened during his rookie camp.

That's the point. But I guess you didn't get the overall sarcasm in the post in response to the Captain talking about BB drafting people with injury history.

And yet despite all those misses somehow he was able to reshape the defense into an utterly elite unit that is deep up front and absolutely stacked in the back.

Well that’s because he absolutely nailed the drafts 2010-2013.

Well that’s because he absolutely nailed the drafts 2010-2013.

I just checked the history and I'm not seeing much discrepancy between the "nailed" selections from 2010-2013 and the whifs from 2015 on. Even if the former is better, the margin is much smaller that you seem to think.

yup. not a lot of good young talent on this roster. Will be really felt in 2020 and beyond when our vets are gone or too old.

Wow...Corey Cunningham is now our only backup OT...and he's not worthy of even being on the game-day active roster? Sad...I know that Wynn's injury was unexpected, but damn...this is the best that Bill can find? My goodness...We currently have Zero OLmen on the 53 drafted in either 2017, 2018 or 2019...but who needs young, cheap talent in the pipeline when we have Thanksdad & Oldhouse? And before anyone mentions injuries: guys like Garcia & Cajuste were already damaged goods during the draft process; they Never should've been taken where they were taken because of those same red flags.

Shouldn't you be grumping about Devin McCourty?

2015: Cardona and Mason are still on the team. Brown was a solid four year starter who got a large contract. Trey Flowers was a stud who got a huge contract.

Grissom, Derby, and Daryl Roberts all had good careers elsewhere, considering their draft position. Richards was a miss. Tre Jackson didn't pan out. That's a pretty good draft.

2016: Roberts, Karras, and Thuney are still with the team, all three starting - Thuney is a top guard. They had no 1st-round pick. Valentine had a couple of decent years. Mitchell helped them win a Super Bowl. Brisset is a starting NFL Quarterback who just got a large payday.

2017: This was a bad year for them - they had FOUR picks. Only Wise worked out, as Rivers can't stay on the field and Garcia fell out before he ever got going.

2018: Wynn will be back, and he's an NFL left tackle. Michel ran wild to the Super Bowl last year. Bentley is a good and improving inside LB, Crossen was a contributor who got caught in a numbers game, mostly because UDFA Jones and Jackson are studs.

2019: Bailey and Winovich are contributing right now. Cowart and Williams will both be there when needed and will both likely be game-day players next year. We haven't seen Harris or Harry yet, but Harris looked good in PS, and Harry, by all accounts will be legitimate. Froholdt will be an NFL guard, and probably a pretty good one. No idea on Cajuste, but they knew that when they drafted him.

I'm not even talking about the picks they flipped for guys like Simon, Van Noy...or other UDFAs like Andrews, Gunner, Meyers...

And one other point: it's easier for a rookie to come in on a team like the Jets (or pretty much any team not in the perennial chase, who suck because they don't have depth in the first place, than on a team that has a large veteran core of high-caliber players at every level.

And I've been saying it for years, and still mean it: Brady is terrible at developing young receivers. He even just admitted that he doesn't trust young guys. He won't even look Meyers' way at this time - and that kid can play in the NFL. He'll probably have a pretty good career somewhere else.
Those aren't bad drafts for a team picking at the bottom of every round - without

Ok, well done. But there is an alternate narrative. BB prefers veterans and would rather not play rookies, younger players for whatever reason (I don’t think BB wanted to draft anyone in 2017). So he gets scrap heap vets, accomplished vets and then gets a little from the draft and a little from UDFAs, where the Pats excel.

To get a more accurate read on how good his drafts have been I think we’d have to look at who they drafted and whether those players are playing a significant role on an NFL team (Tavon Wilson, Duke Dawson, Joe Halapio, Jacoby Brissett, Cameron Fleming, Malcolm Brown and the list goes on). Those players were beaten out by veterans or UDFAs. So that must be taken into account and is a big reason why the Pats don’t seem to draft that well.

The seventh round pick in 2017 just won DPOW and has been arguably the most consistent and important LB on the team last year and so far this year...KVN.

2017: This was a bad year for them - they had FOUR picks. Only Wise worked out, as Rivers can't stay on the field and Garcia fell out before he ever got going.

And given where those selections were made, "average" would be a more apt description. Late third+ picks are not 50/50 propositions.

Maybe - and I realize I'm grasping at straws here - this means Yodny is getting healthy and will be ready to practice soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down