PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots currently projected to finish last in AFC East in 2023 by Vegas

Is this your version of waving the white flag?
The only flag I am waving is this one:

NXGnJzg.jpeg

I wish your Buffalo Bills luck in getting to a measly one. Clearly they need it.

Brady can't make the 28th worst defense better... no matter what fantasies you believe. This isn't Rudy.
Defensive ranks and how the seasons ended in New England...

2001 - 24th - 11-3 (with Brady), won SB
2010 - 25th - 14-2, lost divisional
2011 - 31st - 13-3, lost SB
2012 - 25th - 12-4, lost CCG
2013 - 26th - 12-4, lost CCG
2017 - 29th - 13-3, lost SB
2018 - 21st - 11-5, won SB

Your giving Brady credit for defenses that had exceptional players on them... give it a rest.

The Raiders defense sucked horribly in 2022 outside of two pass rushers. Magic QB's don't fix that.

I don't know, this looks pretty impressive for having a defense that ranks in the bottom third of the league...

An all-time elite QB like Brady can cover up a lot of team warts.

Big loss for Buffalo... LB Tremaine Edmunds signing with Chicago.

Sounds to me like people should put money down on the Pats to make the play-offs and on the Pats to Win the division.
Maybe a parlay of Making the play-odds, winning the division and winning the SB..

Sounds to me like people should put money down on the Pats to make the play-offs and on the Pats to Win the division.
Maybe a parlay of Making the play-odds, winning the division and winning the SB..
You can't parlay correlated events.

I don't know, this looks pretty impressive for having a defense that ranks in the bottom third of the league...

An all-time elite QB like Brady can cover up a lot of team warts.
Wait…. wtf are those “defensive rankings” based on? Your silly interpretation of good and bad? Let’s run down the list:

in 2001 you have them ranked 24th worst, based on what? They ranked 6th best in the entire NFL in points allowed, they ranked 8th best in forced turnovers… in what imaginary Brady-stan’s wet dream does that rank them 24th worst?! You realize they tally wins and loses based on points right?

2010: You have 25th worst.
Reality was 8th in points allowed, 2nd in the entire NFL in forced turnovers.

2011: You have them as 31st worst.
Reality: 15th in points allowed, 3rd in forced turnovers

2012: You have them as 25th worst.
Reality: 9th in points allowed, 2nd in turnovers

2013: You posted 26th worst.
Reality: 10th in fewest points, 10th in turnovers

2017: You wrote 29th worst.
Reality: 5th in points allowed, 25th in turnovers

And they suffered mass injuries right before the super bowl that year to Hightower, Branch, Jon Jones and Chung. So obviously they weren’t as good in the final game.

2018: You wrote 21st worst.
Reality they were ranked 7th in fewest points allowed and 5th in forced turnovers.

So I don’t know where you found your bullcrap defensive ratings, but they’re total garbage. What is this insanity, some analytics garbage or DVOA nonsense?

Give us a break. A defense can’t be top ten in fewest points allowed and top five in forced turnovers and be ranked 25th worst… that’s some duplicitous stuff Crawdaddy.

Who did you think you were going to fool with those made up ratings?!

For anyone who wants to double check my stats:

The most important stat in football is points, the second most important stat is turnovers because no other stat correlates more to points.

Crawdaddy is literally trying to run a con here ^, that’s how strong his agenda is.

Last edited:
Wait…. wtf are those “defensive rankings” based on? Your silly interpretation of good and bad? Let’s run down the list:

in 2001 you have them ranked 24th worst, based on what? They ranked 6th best in the entire NFL in points allowed, they ranked 8th best in forced turnovers… in what imaginary Brady-stan’s wet dream does that rank them 24th worst?! You realize they tally wins and loses based on points right?

And they suffered mass injuries right before the super bowl that year to Hightower, Branch, Jon Jones and Chung. So obviously they weren’t as good in the final game.

Reality they were ranked 7th in fewest points allowed and 5th in forced turnovers.

So I don’t know where you found your bullcrap defensive ratings, but they’re total garbage. What is this insanity, some analytics garbage or DVOA nonsense?

Give us a break. A defense can’t be top ten in fewest points allowed and top five in forced turnovers and be ranked 25th worst… that’s some duplicitous stuff Crawdaddy.

The most important stat in football is points, the second most important stat is turnovers because no other stat correlates more to points.

Crawdaddy is literally trying to run a con here ^, that’s how strong his agenda is.
Yeah, I'm sure it's nonsense to believe that having by far and away the best starting field position in football on defense for two decades and being protected by elite special teams and an offense that put pressure on opponents from the jump, drove deep into opponent territory on most drives and basically never turned the ball over has no impact on points allowed or turnovers forced. Defense is played in a vaccuum and context does not matter. The 2017 defense surely was the 5th best in football, that tracks.

They ranked top 4 in DVOA on defense for 3 of the past 4 seasons, do you think that's an aberration as well? Or were they just really good on that side of the ball in 2019, 2021 and 2022? Maybe when it says they're good it's useful and when it says they're bad it's worthless.

Yeah, I'm sure it's nonsense to believe that having by far and away the best starting field position in football on defense for two decades and being protected by elite special teams and an offense that put pressure on opponents from the jump, drove deep into opponent territory on most drives and basically never turned the ball over has no impact on points allowed or turnovers forced. Defense is played in a vaccuum and context does not matter. The 2017 defense surely was the 5th best in football, that tracks.

They ranked top 4 in DVOA on defense for 3 of the past 4 seasons, do you think that's an aberration as well? Or were they just really good on that side of the ball in 2019, 2021 and 2022? Maybe when it says they're good it's useful and when it says they're bad it's worthless.
When you consistently have one of the best punters in the NFL, a great return game and special teams units, for sure your field position game thrives.

And the offense thrives when your defense is top ten in forced turnovers and they start drives on shortened fields or close to the red zone.

A large part of those time consuming offensive drives belongs to the offensive line that wins the line of scrimmage, powers the rushing attack, opening up large holes and providing plenty of time to throw.

But tell it to the guy arguing one player was solely responsible for all three phases success.

DVOA? Analytics? It’s a load of crap.

PFR provides basic stats that actually matter. Points per drive, turnovers, third down and redzone conversion. Basic stats matter.

We’re talking about a game involving 11 men moving an inflated pigs bladder down a field, it’s not complicated… we’re not launching a satellite into orbit.

The defensive ranking stats he provided were outright wrong.

They didn’t build all those hotels in the middle of the desert by being wrong more often than right.

In order to have “another” great offseason, you first have to have one.
They built all those hotels in the middle of the desert because they don’t attempt to be right or wrong, they make a profit regardless of the outcome.
What they are “right” about is setting a line that balances the bet so they collect the vig.
It’s like you get your buddies to each give you $100 to bet on a game, and you pay the winner $180.

You are ****ing unbelievable.

Tell me what YOU are referring to here and then we can continue the conversation...
Brady can't make the 28th worst defense better...

Are you pretending you didn’t write these ^ patently false “rankings?”

Tell me what YOU are referring to here and then we can continue the conversation...
Points… the only stat that really matters. Points allowed specifically.

Are you pretending you didn’t write these ^ patently false “rankings?”
Dude, they're the GD rankings that get referenced ALL THE TIME. You know, if you're watching an NFL game broadcast, when the analyst says a defense ranks 28th, they're talking about yards against. Doesn't matter if you think it's a worthless stat, it's a real stat, not patently false, and commonly referenced. Even by YOU...
His defense was ranked 28th in the NFL
That's a yards against ranking. 28th in yards against. YOU referenced it... you can't read that quote??

I worked off of YOUR statement and gave you this...

NFL defense ranking, yards against, exactly what you referenced with "28th in the NFL" (2022 Las Vegas Raiders).

Take literally one second and you can verify that every number I provided is 100% accurate.

Points… the only stat that really matters. Points allowed specifically.
You failed brother, because whatever you think "really matters", you referenced a yards against ranking. You need a fact checker.

Dude, they're the GD rankings that get referenced ALL THE TIME. You know, if you're watching an NFL game broadcast, when the analyst says a defense ranks 28th, they're talking about yards against. Doesn't matter if you think it's a worthless stat, it's a real stat, not patently false, and commonly referenced. Even by YOU...
Based on yards?
That's a yards against ranking. 28th in yards against. YOU referenced it... you can't read that quote??
No, I said the Raiders defense was ranked 28th and I meant points allowed... specifically points per drive allowed, and that was 4 spots away from dead last. Tom Brady was not going to fix that, he doesn't play defense.
I worked off of YOUR statement and gave you this...

NFL defense ranking, yards against, exactly what you referenced with "28th in the NFL" (2022 Las Vegas Raiders).

Take literally one second and you can verify that every number I provided is 100% accurate.

You failed brother, because whatever you think "really matters", you referenced a yards against ranking. You need a fact checker.
Here is the Raiders page for 2022. Look under the team stats and rankings header. Scroll all the way to the right and you'll find the stat points per drive. But if you want to look at total points all the way to the left that says the team gave up the 26th most points in the league. Either way, no matter how you slice it, I never mentioned yards anywhere and wouldn't. Perhaps I could have been more specific, but at no point has Tom Brady played with a bottom half of the league defense except for 2002.

They don't tally wins and losses on yards, points is the most important stat in football.

Based on yards?
Yes.

No, I said the Raiders defense was ranked 28th and I meant points allowed... specifically points per drive allowed, and that was 4 spots away from dead last. Tom Brady was not going to fix that, he doesn't play defense.
There are a million stats and rankings that can be referenced nowadays so you have to be specific. If you're not specific then the default is two basic rankings: Points Against and Yards Against (these are per game stats). You said 28th ranked defense (without further clarification) so I went with the most obvious corresponding ranking which is Yards Against (where the Raiders ranked 28th). That's why I posted those accurate Patriots rankings. You going to retract your claim that I was making **** up?

Here is the Raiders page for 2022. Look under the team stats and rankings header. Scroll all the way to the right and you'll find the stat points per drive. But if you want to look at total points all the way to the left that says the team gave up the 26th most points in the league. Either way, no matter how you slice it, I never mentioned yards anywhere and wouldn't. Perhaps I could have been more specific, but at no point has Tom Brady played with a bottom half of the league defense except for 2002.
Maybe we can approach this another way? The 2011 to 2018 Patriots appeared in an NFL record 8 straight conference championship games and went on to win 3 of 5 Super Bowl appearances. Are there any other quarterback in the entire NFL (at that time) besides Tom Brady that could have led those same Patriots teams to the same level of (or greater) success?

There are a million stats and rankings that can be referenced nowadays so you have to be specific. If you're not specific then the default is two basic rankings: Points Against and Yards Against (these are per game stats). You said 28th ranked defense (without further clarification) so I went with the most obvious corresponding ranking which is Yards Against (where the Raiders ranked 28th). That's why I posted those accurate Patriots rankings. You going to retract your claim that I was making **** up?
I could have been clearer and had no clue where you were getting your numbers, it was sheer coincidence the yards per game and points allowed per game was exactly the same. Either way, my point remains... no QB no matter how good was fixing that Raider's disaster.
Maybe we can approach this another way? The 2011 to 2018 Patriots appeared in an NFL record 8 straight conference championship games and went on to win 3 of 5 Super Bowl appearances. Are there any other quarterback in the entire NFL (at that time) besides Tom Brady that could have led those same Patriots teams to the same level of (or greater) success?
We'll never know what BB and team could have done with Manning, Brees, Rogers, Ben etc...

It wasn't Tom chasing QB's down and making their lives hell. it wasn't Tom in man coverage, or returning kicks, or kicking game winning field goals in the final seconds. Tom was surrounded by the best teams by far amongst his peers. Here's that graphic you hate so much... mainly because it's 100% true.

r0W9MDM.png

It's one of those uncomfortable truths, because there's no dismissing it.

Either way, my point remains... no QB no matter how good was fixing that Raider's disaster.
We'll never know what BB and team could have done with Manning, Brees, Rogers, Ben etc...
Why is one hypothetical a "no way no how" and the other a "we'll never know"?

How about this then... Who's the greatest quarterback of all time? Then give me a quick blurb on why. TY.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back