PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and Hunter Henry “far apart on an extension"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ja'Tavian Sanders didn't run particularly well so he might drop some in the Second Round good prospect. :cool:

If they're "far apart" on an extension - the question people will be wondering is what value system they're using and if it's Henry's camp playing hardball, or if the club is really undervaluing him. At the same time, he's a solid player, but I'm not sure he's in the top group, and if he and his agent believe he's in that category, I don't foresee him getting an offer to that level.

I get it - he's 29, and this is potentially his last time to cash in. But even with less-than-stellar QB play (not his fault), it's tough to say he's worthy of top-market money.
Maybe he doesn't want to be here? I'll stay here for top of market money, otherwise peace out.

I'm getting the BB-value vibe already...
Red Sox and Patriots always seem "far apart" with their guys, while other teams keep their great players. It's getting old, honestly.

I'm getting the BB-value vibe already...
Red Sox and Patriots always seem "far apart" with their guys, while other teams keep their great players. It's getting old, honestly.
Is he great though? I think he's a fine player, but if you're rebuilding and the guy wants all the money, maybe there's other options?

Is he great though? I think he's a fine player, but if you're rebuilding and the guy wants all the money, maybe there's other options?
Not just Henry - Dugger, Uche, and Onwenu have said pretty much the same things.
At some point, you have to be willing to pay for talent. Or you're John henry's miserable Red Sox.

Not just Henry - Dugger, Uche, and Onwenu have said pretty much the same things.
At some point, you have to be willing to pay for talent. Or you're John henry's miserable Red Sox.
I'm no lover of John Henry, far from it. That's a guy that should be beloved, but he's reviled because of the reasons you say. I am certainly willing to take a wait and see approach with the Krafts. I know that sports radio likes to ***** about them being cheap, but I believe it was all Bill. We will have to wait and see how they do this off season, and maybe even next.

I agree that Hunter Henry was the best player on offense in 2023. I think he should be part of the rebuild, but I don't think he's a top of market guy for his position. I think there's other options, Dalton Schultz is probably top of market, and Noah Fant is worth a look as well.

I'm no lover of John Henry, far from it. That's a guy that should be beloved, but he's reviled because of the reasons you say. I am certainly willing to take a wait and see approach with the Krafts. I know that sports radio likes to ***** about them being cheap, but I believe it was all Bill. We will have to wait and see how they do this off season, and maybe even next.

I agree that Hunter Henry was the best player on offense in 2023. I think he should be part of the rebuild, but I don't think he's a top of market guy for his position. I think there's other options, Dalton Schultz is probably top of market, and Noah Fant is worth a look as well.
I don't really care much about Henry. Like him as a player, but they have bigger needs. Onwenu? Different story.

This is one of his last contracts. Why wouldn't HH want to check out his value before signing? Unless his agent has a number from another team that the Pats refused to match this is just the start of negotiations between the team and the player. Even with plenty of cap space the team the team needs to invest wisely, not burn cash. Mayo is probably regretting that he used those words.

Seeing as he recently clarified it with "well, not all in one year, we gotta be smart," I think you're prolly correct.

On the HH note: he could be looking to "have more fun" with his last contract, aka, playing for the Patriots requires a premium on his end.

I know Groh came thru with the "players don't think of this as much" but there is a world of difference between not thinking about it and then not saying it out loud, but letting it play a role in determining your number. In the case of "they follow money" - yes, when the money is far beyond what the market rate is.

That quote from Groh felt like a deflection to me, I dunno.

HH has been average at best here. He was better with the chargers. It could be coaching and also having someone like Mac…who knows. But think it’s a good idea to part ways with him.

I’d like to spend some money on a solid blocking TE who would be really helpful for a rookie QB.

I don't think Bill was cheap. I think his philosophy was building depth rather than overpaying to keep every contributor. The roster was consistently littered with a few guys at the top of the market at their position and they were all truly worth it rather than guys he overspent just to keep for the sake of continuity. Around them, he built deep rosters. That's why even in years where we had runs of injuries we always still had pretty competent teams around Brady.

The flip side of that though, if you go for depth vs. paying to retain every contributor who draws FA interest, is that you aren't going to hand out those large signing bonuses. You don't borrow cap from future years to stock the middle and lower tiers of the roster. His philosophy just naturally lends itself to a more cash to cap structure. And I think that philosophy got a little stale and outdated because league-wide now you see more of that borrowing from future years to finance the current team.

I think BB's greatest strength as a talent evaluator was managing the change that salary cap necessitated. He knew what guys could do, couldn't do and was able to fit all the pieces together exceptionally well, even as massive change happened over the years. But new age ways of managing the cap (aided by the growth of it) have rendered that strength somewhat obsolete now because all that change isn't a true necessity anymore.

Let him see what he's worth. Maybe he comes back at a reasonable number, maybe he doesn't. No biggie.

He is good but not very good.
I do not think he deserves top $

$100m in cap space and Krafty Bob is nickel and diming guys already - made a lowball offer to Duggar, now it seems they're being frugal with Henry.

$100m in cap space and Krafty Bob is nickel and diming guys already - made a lowball offer to Duggar, now it seems they're being frugal with Henry.
Go cheap or go home.

Well Dalton Shultz signed with Texans…

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back