Patriots and Hunter Henry “far apart on an extension"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
The news on Hunter Henry doesn't appear to be overly optimistic. MassLive also reported that things aren’t looking positive as the two sides are reportedly, “far apart on an extension.”

1709609256834.png

The Patriots obviously head into this offseason without a tight end under contract, leading to big questions heading into next season.

Last edited:
What happened to all that cap space?

Sign Schultz, they have the cap space. Extend P Brown. Draft a TE. Good luck to HH.

What happened to all that cap space?
If they're "far apart" on an extension - the question people will be wondering is what value system they're using and if it's Henry's camp playing hardball, or if the club is really undervaluing him. At the same time, he's a solid player, but I'm not sure he's in the top group, and if he and his agent believe he's in that category, I don't foresee him getting an offer to that level.

I get it - he's 29, and this is potentially his last time to cash in. But even with less-than-stellar QB play (not his fault), it's tough to say he's worthy of top-market money.

If they're "far apart" on an extension - the question people will be wondering is what value system they're using and if it's Henry's camp playing hardball, or if the club is really undervaluing him. At the same time, he's a solid player, but I'm not sure he's in the top group, and if he and his agent believe he's in that category, I don't foresee him getting an offer to that level.

I get it - he's 29, and this is potentially his last time to cash in. But even with less-than-stellar QB play (not his fault), it's tough to say he's worthy of top-market money.
Yea, the difference between Pats offering 7M and his agent wanting 12M. Schultz is younger, a better blocker and as good of a receiver. Less injury prone too. I'd rather pay Schultz.

Quite a few guys out there I’d rather give some money to instead. Not because Henry is no good, but I want some guys that aren’t on their last deal and can grow with the program. 2 vets and a rook sounds good to me.

Every TE ranking I have seen has Schultz as #1 and Henry as the #2 free agent TE. Sportrac has Henry's market value at $7.5M. It all seems very reasonable to me.

HH can't block a fly he's a good pass catcher and that's it. HH is not to die for give me Stover - Sanders - Sinnott or Span-Ford in the Draft. The new regime is probably eyeing a couple of Rookie TE's with Potential.

Also Theo Johnson Penn State looks like a HH clone seems like he's going to Translate to the next level. That said I would go all out for Schultz in FA he'll be a blessing to a Young QB he really helped C.J. Stroud last year.

Every TE ranking I have seen has Schultz as #1 and Henry as the #2 free agent TE. Sportrac has Henry's market value at $7.5M. It all seems very reasonable to me.
Yep: if HH wants more than that thanks for the memories.

Quite a few guys out there I’d rather give some money to instead. Not because Henry is no good, but I want some guys that aren’t on their last deal and can grow with the program. 2 vets and a rook sounds good to me.
So you don't want a vet who want to grow with the program, you want 2 vets to grow with the program.

Last edited:
"far apart"

Team - we like the current deal numbers
Player - those tag numbers seem reasonable

Lets get to it Wolf/Mayo... Burn some cash on this guy... He's worth it

The news on Hunter Henry doesn't appear to be overly optimistic. MassLive also reported that things aren’t looking positive as the two sides are reportedly, “far apart on an extension.”

View attachment 56829

The Patriots obviously head into this offseason without a tight end under contract, leading to big questions heading into next season.
In the words of my guy Lou merloni... " HE GONE"

Yea, the difference between Pats offering 7M and his agent wanting 12M. Schultz is younger, a better blocker and as good of a receiver. Less injury prone too. I'd rather pay Schultz.
That’s the core of the issue, Henry isn’t a very good blocker. If they’re going to spend big on a TE, it should be Schultz who is a solid blocker and still a good receiver. Henry also has injury issues like you noted.

If Schultz goes elsewhere then they can circle back around to Henry and see what the market has dictated his value as, but there are other decent TEs on the market as well. Henry is definitely a very good receiving TE and a good locker room presence, so I’m sure he will get a decent deal, but I imagine AVP will be using his TEs two ways often.

They also have Gesicki available to sign for probably far less, who can’t block for his life, but was a very good receiver last year. Granted, they rarely used him as an actual TE, but worth considering bringing both him and Brown back and using their skill sets effectively, plus another mid grade TE1 addition, vs splashing cash on Henry and still being deficient in the blocking dept.

This is one of his last contracts. Why wouldn't HH want to check out his value before signing? Unless his agent has a number from another team that the Pats refused to match this is just the start of negotiations between the team and the player. Even with plenty of cap space the team the team needs to invest wisely, not burn cash. Mayo is probably regretting that he used those words.

Last edited:
Austin Hooper is still hanging around? No thanks. Would rather go after a guy like Dalton Schultz or Gerald Everett and draft a guy or two in the mid rounds to develop.

So you don't want a vet who want to grow with the program, you want 2 vets to grow with the program.
2 vets not pushing for their last deal. That is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3