Patriots 53-man Roster Projection 1.0 Post Minicamp Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Steve Balestrieri

it is time to a very early look at a New England Patriots 53-man roster projection. We got a brief glimpse of what the players can do in the Bill Belichick system during the spring workouts

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Once again I go to minicamp and watch Gronkowski and Hollister smoke Jordan Richards in coverage and say, “surely the coaches see this too….right?”

The Patriot fan base can see this too. Especially the fans that use this site.

QB - agree, though it wouldn't shock if only Hoyer were kept and Etling sent to PS after he cleared waivers (which he would).

RB - agree, though I'm not quite ready to close the book on Gillislee, especially if Billy & Skippy finally learn that running him (or anyone, really) straight up the middle on 3rd/4th & short behind this OL is a bad idea.

TE - really pulling for Troy Nicklas to make Dwayne Allen & his bloated salary superfluous, especially if Allen is unwilling to restructure.

WR - Mal Mitchell to PUP and replaced by Phil Dorsett.

OL - Cole Croston ahead of even Luke Bowanko, never mind Mongo Jr Jr? FAIL.

DL - regarding the "battle" between Valentine & Adam Butler: Johnathan Hankins is still available.

LB - J'Wrong Bentley to Practice Squad, as befitting his "talent." We couldn't use Mychal Kendricks here Billy? Seriously?

CB - agree, though I'm still pulling for Ryan Lewis to beat out the smaller Keion Crossen.

S - agree, though I'm still pulling for one of Damarius Travis or David Jones (who just can't seem to stay on the field) to emerge. Kenny Vaccaro, Tre Boston & Eric Reid are all still available too.

ST - agree. Arriba Bojorquez!

OFFENSE

1) I suspect that Mitchell won't be on the 53, but that's a nitpick. At this point, I guess he makes it.
2) Karras over Etling. I think that you have created a problem at OG, especially with Mason not likely to play next year and both Thuney and Wynn coming off injuries.

DEFENSE
LB
So, I have Sam, Bentley and Langi all competing with a roster spot, or two at the most. My guess is that Roberts will make the 53 plus one of these three. The extra spot is our 4th safety.

Steve Balestrieri

it is time to a very early look at a New England Patriots 53-man roster projection. We got a brief glimpse of what the players can do in the Bill Belichick system during the spring workouts

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Trey Flowers, Malcom Brown, Danny Shelton, Adrian Clayborn, Deatrich Wise, Lawrence Guy, Vincent Valentine, Derek Rivers

I really like this D-line, especially if everyone stays healthy and Wise and Rivers can live up to their potential.

So there’s no way Brandon bolden and his special teams ability combined with being able to play RB in a pinch make this squad?

Why the hell would they waste a roster spot on Etling?
I said the same thing about Tom Brady in 2000. However, that was in a time where I had zero access to Patriots info like we all do today.
Etling over Hoyer ... just so we can have a forum meltdown.
The day there's a forum meltdown over Brian Hoyer would be really bizarre.
So there’s no way Brandon bolden and his special teams ability combined with being able to play RB in a pinch make this squad?
Patterson could make him expendable. He was a gunner with the Vikings.

I said the same thing about Tom Brady in 2000. However, that was in a time where I had zero access to Patriots info like we all do today.

Just so that I'm clear before I start pissing myself from laughing too hard:

Are you really trying to equate Etling to Brady?

RB - agree, though I'm not quite ready to close the book on Gillislee, especially if Billy & Skippy finally learn that running him (or anyone, really) straight up the middle on 3rd/4th & short behind this OL is a bad idea.
I think you and I are the only people that see how poorly Gillislee has been utilized. For that reason, I don't see him making it because "Billy" (LOL) will continue to put a square peg in a round hole. However, Hill has proven he could do everything as he did his rookie year in Cincy. If his health was truly holding him back, he's a major sleeper. And it's quite hilarious that the media dismisses Hill over Burkhead as Burkhead was buried on the depth chart in Cincy with Hill as the starting back.

WR - Mal Mitchell to PUP and replaced by Phil Dorsett.
I do not want to see Mitchell on PUP. That will be annoying as he's had plenty of time to get over it. Don't turn into Kawhi Leonard.

LB - J'Wrong Bentley to Practice Squad, as befitting his "talent." We couldn't use Mychal Kendricks here Billy? Seriously?
Despite his popularity on this board, Kendricks really wasn't that great in Philly.

S - agree, though I'm still pulling for one of Damarius Travis or David Jones (who just can't seem to stay on the field) to emerge. Kenny Vaccaro, Tre Boston & Eric Reid are all still available too.
I'm still pulling for a out of nowhere signing of Eric Reid.

Last edited:
Just so that I'm clear before I start pissing myself from laughing too hard:

Are you really trying to equate Etling to Brady?
Yes, Etling is the next great QB. No, I'm kidding. I'm just comparing to a time when Brady was drafted and I dismissed it because they had just signed Bledsoe to mega extension, signed John Friez and had Michael Bishop in his 2nd year. Unless you lived in NE and had access to the local sports media, you didn't think Brady would make the team.

Yes, Etling is the next great QB. No, I'm kidding. I'm just comparing to a time when Brady was drafted and I dismissed it because they had just signed Bledsoe to mega extension, signed John Friez and had Michael Bishop in his 2nd year. Unless you lived in NE and had access to the local sports media, you didn't think Brady would make the team.

It's a completely different situation, though. Other than "Both are QBs who didn't get drafted high", there's really not anything in the way of similarities.

It's a completely different situation, though. Other than "Both are QBs who didn't get drafted high", there's really not anything in the way of similarities.
What's the difference? Keeping 4 QB's was pretty ridiculous back then.

What's the difference? Keeping 4 QB's was pretty ridiculous back then.

Brady was a guy who'd won at a big time football college, but was getting kind of hosed because of the elite recruit (Drew Henson) who was coming in behind him and thought to be a lock for the NFL, and it's notable that Henson never actually beat him out for the job. Brady could have asked for a transfer because of the situation, but he chose to stay and fight for the job. Brady went 20-5 as a starter, and led Michigan to a pair of bowl victories in his two years as the starter. Brady fell in the draft because of the various and sundries, but he was still the 7th QB taken. When he got to New England, the Patriots were a rebuilding team that was not going to be competing in Brady's rookie season, so the team wasn't desperate to use that 53rd slot at another position. And Brady impressed from the very beginning.

Etling was the 11th QB taken. I noted the significance of that in an earlier post
Danny Etling Signs 4 Year Contract. (Merge).

Etlinger transferred to LSU rather than fighting for his job at Purdue, after he was beaten out by the immortal Austin Appleby. Etling went just 18-17 as a college starter and, from what I've seen, heard, and read, has absolutely not been setting the world on fire to this point in the offseason.

So, pretty much all the difference in the world.

Why the hell would they waste a roster spot on Etling?
Lets see how Etling does in Pre-season games! If he shows anything, they are not going to get him through waivers.

Bolden makes it over Gilislee because he doesn't play special teams. Can Rowe play safety? I am not comfortable with just 3 legit safeties. Ebner is another ST only guys like King, Slater and too an extent Bolden. Who returns punts? I think Berrios or McCarron (whoever can return punts) makes the team. Patterson does one thing well and that's KO return. Now that KO returns are being de-emphasized, I think he could get cut.

O-line is most intriguing for me actually. I didn't realize everyone was pretty much hurt.

LB
So, I have Sam, Bentley and Langi all competing with a roster spot, or two at the most. My guess is that Roberts will make the 53 plus one of these three. The extra spot is our 4th safety.
I have ALL of Langi, Bentley & Sam ahead of Roberts...and I'm not a huge fan of any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes