PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 53-man Roster Projection 1.0 Post Minicamp Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there’s no way Brandon bolden and his special teams ability combined with being able to play RB in a pinch make this squad?
Bolden's a tough cut, but I'm not real comfortable with carrying 6 RB/FBs again this season, at the possible expense of depth at another position.

If there are any injuries at other positions that also have STers listed there, then I think that Bolden will be next man up, again.

Last edited:
Lets see how Etling does in Pre-season games! If he shows anything, they are not going to get him through waivers.

So we should rename Etling Sudfeld, then?

Lets see how Etling does in Pre-season games! If he shows anything, they are not going to get him through waivers.
There always seems to be somebody on every team of whom it is believed would never pass through waivers on cut-down day, and I still believe that Etling (among others probably) will be that guy here this pre-season.

...Who returns punts? I think Berrios or McCarron (whoever can return punts) makes the team. Patterson does one thing well and that's KO return. Now that KO returns are being de-emphasized, I think he could get cut.
Somebody does indeed have to return punts for us. Still disappointed that neither Dorsett nor Patterson fielded any during OTAs/minicamp. And you're right that perhaps Bill/Judge will determine that, by the end of pre-season week 4, KO returns will not be as important as they once were and that Patterson will have little use here at WR.

O-line is most intriguing for me actually. I didn't realize everyone was pretty much hurt.
Yeah it sucks that they are, though I doubt that the top 7 will be affected unless one of them has to be placed on PUP.

O-line is most intriguing for me actually. I didn't realize everyone was pretty much hurt.
I think they’re starting to heal up a bit. Both Brown and Wynn took some reps during the final phase of OTAs and mini camp. Prior to that, they may have simply been exercising caution with them.

Cannon’s situation could be troublesome. I believe that he’s had the same ankle issue since last season. Not sure about Thuney, though.

I respectfully disagree. I’m pretty sure that the Pats could match or raise any other offer that Etling would receive for another team’s PS, so the only way they’d really lose him would be if someone put them on their 53 man roster or they simply didn’t care about seeing him go elsewhere.

He was barely drafted, and there will still be other more talented QBs available like Dobbs (4th round) and possibly even Hackenberg if you’re looking at ceiling, alone (2nd round).

Any roster prediction that doesn't include Richards and Bolden is going to be wrong. BOOK IT.

So there’s no way Brandon bolden and his special teams ability combined with being able to play RB in a pinch make this squad?
There’s always a chance that Bolden makes the squad, and as usual, we’ll hypothetically try to replace his ST presence and hardworking vet leadership with some other option. Some will go with any other option.

When all is said and done, I think he’s one of “Bill’s guys,” meaning that he works hard, has some type of versatility (even if it’s for emergency use or week 16/17 reps), and is a core veteran on STs.

Bolden makes it over Gilislee because he doesn't play special teams. Can Rowe play safety? I am not comfortable with just 3 legit safeties. Ebner is another ST only guys like King, Slater and too an extent Bolden. Who returns punts? I think Berrios or McCarron (whoever can return punts) makes the team. Patterson does one thing well and that's KO return. Now that KO returns are being de-emphasized, I think he could get cut.

Cyrus Jones returns punts.

I have ALL of Langi, Bentley & Sam ahead of Roberts...and I'm not a huge fan of any of them.

How do you assess Harvey Langi, as he only played in one game last year???

As we have done since their board began, we make rosters with fewer STers than Belichick does.

As you say, BOLDEN is a favorite of Belichick's, an excellent Ster, and an OK emergency RB.

RICHARDS is an OK STer and Belichick's choice as an emergency #4 safety. The "real" problem is at LB. The 4th safety should be getting any reps at all without 2 injuries at safety.

I have ALL of Langi, Bentley & Sam ahead of Roberts...and I'm not a huge fan of any of them.
There’s always a chance that Bolden makes the squad, and as usual, we’ll hypothetically try to replace his ST presence and hardworking vet leadership with some other option. Some will go with any other option.

When all is said and done, I think he’s one of “Bill’s guys,” meaning that he works hard, has some type of versatility (even if it’s for emergency use or week 16/17 reps), and is a core veteran on STs.

It seems reasonable for the 53rd player to be a punt returner, on the 53 at least until Edelman is back.

How do you assess Harvey Langi, as he only played in one game last year???
Impossible to assess without more snaps, but Langi was more highly regarded for his versatility and decent athleticism/length during his draft year than Bentley...Sam is a better athlete than Langi or Bentley, but doesn't quite have the sand in his pants as either of them...and Roberts just plain Sucks.

RICHARDS is an OK STer and Belichick's choice as an emergency #4 safety...The 4th safety should[n't] be getting any reps at all without 2 injuries at safety.
And yet...the Super Bowl happened...and the Stealers game in December...

It seems reasonable for the 53rd player to be a punt returner, on the 53 at least until Edelman is back.
It does, but the problem facing our known candidates at PR (Cyrus the Virus, Barrio, McCarron) is that there is currently a numbers crunch at their official positions (CB, WR) so unless one of them completely kicks ass as a returner during TC, they might have to show something at CB & WR respectively if they are merely adequate as a returner.

It does, but the problem facing our known candidates at PR (Cyrus the Virus, Barrio, McCarron) is that there is currently a numbers crunch at their official positions (CB, WR) so unless one of them completely kicks ass as a returner during TC, they might have to show something at CB & WR respectively if they are merely adequate as a returner.

I disagree. We have a 4 week opening for a punt returner.

My 53 with recent injury news.

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) S.Michel, J.White, R.Burkhead, J.Hill, J.Develin, B.Bolden,
WR (5) J.Matthews, C.Hogan, K.Britt, C.Patterson, M.Slater
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, T.Niklas
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, C.Croston
T (4) M.Cannon, I.Wynn, T.Brown, L.Waddle

DE (5) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, D.Rivers, L.Guy
DT (4) M.Brown, D.Shelton, V.Valentine, A.Butler
ILB(2) D.Hightower, C.Sam
OLB(4) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers, H.Langi, B.King
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, D.Dawson, E.Rowe, J.Jackson
SS (3) P.Chung, J. Richards, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

Total players: 53

PUP: C. Jones. J. Jones, M. Mitchell
SUS: Edelman

Offensive Notes - I think we go 9 OL and keep both Croston and Karras. 4 True WRs is a little lite but with Edelman coming back in 4 weeks and Berrios making the PS it isn't as thin as it looks. For RB Bolden sticks and Hill stays at least for a while. Once Sony finds his feet we probably let a RB walk to add Edelman in 4 weeks assuming health of the position. 3rd TE is a guess but I'm honestly not concerned about who sticks. 3rd QB to PS.

Defensive Notes - 9 DL isn't all that unusual for BB. Particular with Guy being a player who can eaily go back and forth between DE and DT. Very curious to see how Rivers and Wise look in year 2. Shelton is a fairly underrated signing around here as well. I see him as likely our best DT overall even if his pass rush is meh. LB is kinda an interesting spot but it all comes down to Hightower. Hopefully Sam can make some plays and be the 3rd guy by year's end behind Hightower and Van Noy. CB will be a really fun spot to watch. I can really see Rowe perhaps being cut this year. He regressed last year IMO. I don't have any stats in front of me. I just don't think he did a good job. I wouldn't mind seeing Crossen and Jackon cause a youth movement but I don't think both make it right now. I hope Dawson is the day 1 starter we think he is. At safety I kept Richards just cause I think he is BB's guy and that's it.

I disagree. We have a 4 week opening for a punt returner.
Until Edelman returns? The Only times I would use him at PR are when he is Fair-Catching deep in our own end.
The days of him being our primary PR should be Over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents