PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Peterson Wants Out of Arizona

Except for this one.

Hunt fooled the hell out of JMac on that route. Looked like he was expecting he'd run some sort of curl/comeback but, by the time he realized he wasn't slowing down, he had already shot past him

Trade him for a 7th + keonta davis
Restructure his contract to around $1.1 m per year cap hit
Make him apologize to brady for the deflategate comments and kiss his feet

I think thats a pretty reasonable scenario(s)

I'm glad none of you are managing my personal finances.
Yes, technically there is a little more than $5M in cap space. A healthy chunk of it is allocated to paying TBD performance bonues, and there is unpredictability still with pending injury settlements with at least two players. This brings it down to a very low number again, and that's necessary to keep in case something unexpected happens at a position that requires the Pats to sign a player to fill an emergency need (ahem, RB).
So there really isn't any cap money to be throwing at superstars to fill positions that aren't empty due to injury.

If you can make the numbers work...no brainer.

Wilks and Bidwell both said they are not trading Peterson.
However would love it

How to put an end to most trade request scenarios:

"I want to be traded"

"OK, but you'll have to take a pay cut to facilitate any deal, because we want to recoup as much of our investment in you as is possible"

"Whoa! I didn't say I wanted to make less money"

There's a Peterson thread just a little ways down the main page.

Trade him for a 7th + keonta davis
Restructure his contract to around $1.1 m per year cap hit
Make him apologize to brady for the deflategate comments and kiss his feet

I think thats a pretty reasonable scenario(s)

Oh thanks for reminding me. He said Brady disrespected the game. Just went from wanting this guy on the team to wanting him to suffer through a miserable career.

The immediate reaction would be to laugh about this and then move on, there is no cap space for him....but wait. I'm not sure what his cap situation would be for a team who trades for him at the deadline, but it would likely be less than $5MM. That's a doable thing if some players would be interested in redoing a contract and getting their money now instead of later.

His 11.5 cap hit for the next 2 years is reasonable for a player of his talent and impact, and I think it would be possible to fit him in next season. We also have 2 second round picks in the next draft, as well as multiple picks in the later rounds. IIRC at one point I remember reading were the Pats were likely to have 11 draft picks when the comp picks are added.

For a team looking to rebuild with a very young QB, a 2nd and 5th would be a nice haul for a guy like Peterson, and that would be something the Pats could well afford.

I think Rowe's groin issues look like they might linger this year and thus make him someone they can't rely on, and thus make adding secondary help more of a priority than we'd like.

Though I think us trading for Peterson is unlikely in reality, it's more than logical for those who like to speculate. ;)

The Patriots can afford him for this year if they cut Jason McCourty. That would save 2.6M and allow them to take on Peterson's cap hit the rest of the season.

Jason hasn't played bad in his recent stretch but he's no Peterson. You would lose the chance to have him for 3.375M next year (all non-guaranteed) and it may tic Devin off. However if it gives them a shot at a guy like Peterson I think it is a move you have to make as long as the draft capital you give up isn't too much.

Also considering his recent play and contract situation; pissing Devin off may not be an issue long term. This may well be his last year as a Patriot unless he takes a pretty big pay cut. IF they cut Devin next year they can afford Peterson for next 2 years on a very reasonable 2 year 24M dollars deal. Not bad at all for a CB of his caliber. Not to mention his guaranteed money is pretty much all gone after this year so there is no long term risk to the team. Considering he will be 29 and 30 for those years we shouldn't expect a decline.

I would say absolutely do it. Trade for Peterson and keep him for the next 2.5 years. Cut Jason McCourty this year and either Devin takes a pay cut or we cut him to afford Peterson in 2019 and beyond. At this point it would be an upgrade to the D overall if we need to make that trade off TBH.

As long as it doesn't cost us a first rounder I am happy to make this deal.

Because it's coming from Peterson. That is as unreliable as it gets.

I am not sure I want to see in Pats uniform someone who criticised Brady in 2015 suggesting (TB12) " disrespected the game" ( about so called deflategate ).

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back