PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Peterson Wants Out of Arizona

I am not sure I want to see in Pats uniform someone who criticised Brady in 2015 suggesting (TB12) " disrespected the game" ( about so called deflategate ).
I would. He’d change the complexion of that unit entirely. You bring in Peterson and it’s game over. This team is winning the Super Bowl. But I’ll believe it when I see it. Wilks made it pretty clear they weren’t intending on trading him.

I'm glad none of you are managing my personal finances.
Yes, technically there is a little more than $5M in cap space. A healthy chunk of it is allocated to paying TBD performance bonues, and there is unpredictability still with pending injury settlements with at least two players. This brings it down to a very low number again, and that's necessary to keep in case something unexpected happens at a position that requires the Pats to sign a player to fill an emergency need (ahem, RB).
So there really isn't any cap money to be throwing at superstars to fill positions that aren't empty due to injury.
This.

Lets hope Sony comes back soon

The title of this thread implies that this is a surprise, it has always seemed to me that the Pats are always interested in any trade.. however the cost and impact of salary on the Pats economic system is usually prohibitive and negates this from happening...

How to put an end to most trade request scenarios:

"I want to be traded"

"OK, but you'll have to take a pay cut to facilitate any deal, because we want to recoup as much of our investment in you as is possible"

"Whoa! I didn't say I wanted to make less money"

yes, and then be criticized by fans for not being willing to take less money to "play for the chance at a ring."

I am not sure I want to see in Pats uniform someone who criticised Brady in 2015 suggesting (TB12) " disrespected the game" ( about so called deflategate ).

The players live in news bubbles just like everyone else. He was working off of information that assured him (as most of the media has, and most of America has) that Brady broke rules and does so on an ongoing basis. If he came to NE, he'd get new information. Maybe he already has.

The Patriots can afford him for this year if they cut Jason McCourty. That would save 2.6M and allow them to take on Peterson's cap hit the rest of the season.

Jason hasn't played bad in his recent stretch but he's no Peterson. You would lose the chance to have him for 3.375M next year (all non-guaranteed) and it may tic Devin off. However if it gives them a shot at a guy like Peterson I think it is a move you have to make as long as the draft capital you give up isn't too much.

I am not sure where you are getting those numbers from.

If you cut JMac you save 1m this year according to Spotrac. Also he is a UFA after this season so there is no lost chance to have him at 3.3m next year:

Jason McCourty

Also a lot of this discussion ignores that there is still the matter of extending Flowers. Unless you want to start over at the DE.

I think if you really want to put Peterson on this years team the best way to do this would be extending Ghost and pushing his 5m cap hit down. But that will come at a price with even bigger cap hits in the later years.

Also maybe trading / cutting Rowe because you need the CB roster spot, he has no dead cap and would save about a million. But he is injured so good luck with that.

Last edited:
If New England can get him in a trade, Id be happy as a clam. I personally don't think it'll happen, but you just never know. I never thought the Patriots would get Randy Moss either, so.......

it has always seemed to me that the Pats are always interested in any trade

Well, at least according to media reports from "sources" which are often agents. I mean, BB has made it clear that his personnel department's phone lines are always open, being willing to listen does not equal "being interested."

Anyway, if someone compiled all the media reports from the past 5-10 years about potential trades for players of even relatively modest notoriety, I'd bet that the Pats are - by far - the team most often mentioned as being "interested" or being "a good landing spot".

Well, at least according to media reports from "sources" which are often agents. I mean, BB has made it clear that his personnel department's phone lines are always open, being willing to listen does not equal "being interested."

Anyway, if someone compiled all the media reports from the past 5-10 years about potential trades for players of even relatively modest notoriety, I'd bet that the Pats are - by far - the team most often mentioned as being "interested" or being "a good landing spot".

Publicity stunts to inflate the value of a player?? Quite possibly...

BTW - can we afford to trade for him?His salary cap (11,11,12) for three years is rather out of our range. Or maybe Pats can do some magic tricks to sign him.

Picks each teams has

Pats: 1st, 2 2nd rounds, 3rd, 4th
Eagles: 1st, 2 2nd rounds, 3rd, 4th
Saints: 2nd, 4th, 5th

As long as Philadelphia doesn’t offer a 1 we could match them as well as us being out of the NFC.

The immediate reaction would be to laugh about this and then move on, there is no cap space for him....but wait. I'm not sure what his cap situation would be for a team who trades for him at the deadline, but it would likely be less than $5MM. That's a doable thing if some players would be interested in redoing a contract and getting their money now instead of later.

His 11.5 cap hit for the next 2 years is reasonable for a player of his talent and impact, and I think it would be possible to fit him in next season. We also have 2 second round picks in the next draft, as well as multiple picks in the later rounds. IIRC at one point I remember reading were the Pats were likely to have 11 draft picks when the comp picks are added.

For a team looking to rebuild with a very young QB, a 2nd and 5th would be a nice haul for a guy like Peterson, and that would be something the Pats could well afford.

I think Rowe's groin issues look like they might linger this year and thus make him someone they can't rely on, and thus make adding secondary help more of a priority than we'd like.

Though I think us trading for Peterson is unlikely in reality, it's more than logical for those who like to speculate. ;)

I'm done with Rowe and his groin issues. He's average at best and can't be counted on. If they are able to land a CB in a trade they should cut him

BTW - can we afford to trade for him?His salary cap (11,11,12) for three years is rather out of our range. Or maybe Pats can do some magic tricks to sign him.

I'd argue his cap hit is what makes him so attractive to trade for. This is a shutdown corner on a reasonable contract relative to the rest of the league. If anything the contract might be value enough to make BB at least think about it.

The players live in news bubbles just like everyone else. He was working off of information that assured him (as most of the media has, and most of America has) that Brady broke rules and does so on an ongoing basis. If he came to NE, he'd get new information. Maybe he already has.
Fair enough. But I remember I was so pissed off listening to him about "deflategate". Maybe he has changed his attitude or will do that. Beside that fact he is definitely an elite CB.

After week-8, Peterson's remaining salary would hit the Pats' cap for $5.5M. If the Cards are willing to eat $3M of that by converting salary to signing bonus before the trade, that puts it in range for the Pats. If the Pats trade a player plus a pick for Peterson, it would reduce Peterson's cap hit by the amount remaining on that player's salary for 2018, and it would open up the roster spot for Peterson.

The Pats currently have only $25.6M in cap space for 2019, but nearly $114M for 2020. They can easily clear significant 2019 cap space by extending Brady, DMac and Gronk for a year, and either extending or shedding Allen ($6.4M salary in 2019).

They can easily clear significant 2019 cap space by extending Brady, DMac and Gronk for a year, and either extending or shedding Allen ($6.4M salary in 2019).

I don't think they can touch Brady's or Gronk's contract before next August (or whenever the incentives were officially added), correct ?

As I said in another thread.. I think the easiest way to fit Peterson on this years cap is to extend Ghost.

It does make a lot of sense and Peterson does seem to want a trade out of Arizona.

Allegedly Peterson's preferred destination is the Saints but New Orleans don't have their first rounder in the upcoming draft. If they give up their second and more draft picks then they are going to be much thinner on restocking their roster.

Arizona should be rebuilding, they have their QB of the future and now need to put a talented team around him. By the time they are back in the play-offs Peterson will not be playing up to his current standard. Therefore the Cardinals GM should be looking at picking up the best value and draft picks for him.

New England could trade Chicago's second round pick and perhaps another mid round pick or a future third rounder.

I'd love to see the Patriots make this trade. If it can be managed under the cap then it really helps the team over the next three years.

I'd argue his cap hit is what makes him so attractive to trade for. This is a shutdown corner on a reasonable contract relative to the rest of the league. If anything the contract might be value enough to make BB at least think about it.

True. Peterson's 2019 cap hit for the Pats would be $11M - the 14th highest cap hit among CB's for 2019 ... just a couple hundred thousand more than Logan Ryan's 2019 cap hit, and greater than $2M less than Malcolm Butler's 2019 cap hit.

Basically, the Pats would be paying a combined $26M for Gilmore + Peterson in 2019, while the Titans are paying $24M for Ryan and Butler.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back