PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Peterson Wants Out of Arizona

I am not sure I want to see in Pats uniform someone who criticised Brady in 2015 suggesting (TB12) " disrespected the game" ( about so called deflategate ).

Don't take it personally. James Harrison did as well. Solid non-zone coverage makes everything about the Pats defense better. PP can cover 1/1 man as well as anyone in the league.

Don't take it personally. James Harrison did as well. Solid non-zone coverage makes everything about the Pats defense better. PP can cover 1/1 man as well as anyone in the league.

It's not as if Browner or Revis were particularly kind in expressing their opinions of the Pats over the years before signing with them.

Ok...after Flash Gordon i am ok with Patrick Peterson too...:D

Will he play next week or he has to learn the system ?

The Pats would likely wait until Tuesday the 30th to sign any deal because it saves them another $688k in cap hit. ;)

Peterson is a great player but unless he can play in the front 7, he’s not the fix the defense needs

Great corners don’t matter when your safeties are a step slow and you can’t get pressure without blitzing (and when you do blitz you can’t contain the QB)

The Patriots personnel department has announced that all new additions will be Plug And Play. Huge technological breakthrough. Just ensure that each player has a corresponding Plug And Play tattoo somewhere.

Peterson is a great player but unless he can play in the front 7, he’s not the fix the defense needs

Great corners don’t matter when your safeties are a step slow and you can’t get pressure without blitzing (and when you do blitz you can’t contain the QB)

Pats are actually one of the best teams in regards to getting pressure. Sack numbers are low but pressure percentage on qb drop backs is close to the top of the league.

Wut?

DMAC is elite.

I disagree with this overall. While I agree the most obvious and glaring upgrade is in the front 7 (linebacker or defensive lineman), the Patriots need elite players on defense, period. Belichick can find a way to maximize the impact to improve the overall performance one way or another. With Gilmore and another excellent cover corner, the safeties would be able to help with containing, blitzing, or giving more direct attention to running backs and tight ends, since they wouldn't need to help as much over the top. The overall biggest problem with the defense is a lack of impact players who are among the best at their position. In addition, it's not a great idea to only look at the current situation when evaluating the long-term fit of a given player. The pass rush and front 7 may be an asset in a year, while the secondary may be lacking a player like this. Just look at other units like the Patriots WR corps; the situation changes very quickly.

I am not sure where you are getting those numbers from.

If you cut JMac you save 1m this year according to Spotrac. Also he is a UFA after this season so there is no lost chance to have him at 3.3m next year:

Jason McCourty

Also a lot of this discussion ignores that there is still the matter of extending Flowers. Unless you want to start over at the DE.

I think if you really want to put Peterson on this years team the best way to do this would be extending Ghost and pushing his 5m cap hit down. But that will come at a price with even bigger cap hits in the later years.

Also maybe trading / cutting Rowe because you need the CB roster spot, he has no dead cap and would save about a million. But he is injured so good luck with that.
I think you save nothing if you cut mccourty because he is a vested veteran and his salary is guaranteed. Same with Rowe and anyone else people are suggesting to cut to save cap money.

I disagree with this overall. While I agree the most obvious and glaring upgrade is in the front 7 (linebacker or defensive lineman), the Patriots need elite players on defense, period. Belichick can find a way to maximize the impact to improve the overall performance one way or another. With Gilmore and another excellent cover corner, the safeties would be able to help with containing, blitzing, or giving more direct attention to running backs and tight ends, since they wouldn't need to help as much over the top. The overall biggest problem with the defense is a lack of impact players who are among the best at their position. In addition, it's not a great idea to only look at the current situation when evaluating the long-term fit of a given player. The pass rush and front 7 may be an asset in a year, while the secondary may be lacking a player like this. Just look at other units like the Patriots WR corps; the situation changes very quickly.
Exactly right. The guy would be transformative. Defenses play as a unit, and the addition of Peterson would cascade through.

I think you save nothing if you cut mccourty because he is a vested veteran and his salary is guaranteed. Same with Rowe and anyone else people are suggesting to cut to save cap money.

So Rowe can be simultaneously on a rookie contract and a vested veteran? Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Also I am using Spotracs numbers here. It is them saying you can save a million by releasing JMac.

NE pass defense needs help. Receivers are wide open within a few seconds of running their route. Pats got lucky that Tribilsky is so erratic passing the ball missing wide open guys.

Brady can counter the bleeding if NE gets the ball last like vs KC. Pittsburgh is getting its offense going and KC vs NE could very well be the AFCC.

NE passing D is 29th allowing TDs and 25th allowing most yards. Yards may not matter, but TDs sure do. 7 games in and I would welcome Peterson if he can fix this defense.

Telling him to play man to man on a certain WR each week makes CB as close to a plug-and-play position on defense as it gets, while he gets up to speed on the rest of the defense. Aqib Talib made an instant impact the week he was acquired in 2012 in just that manner.

NE pass defense needs help. Receivers are wide open within a few seconds of running their route. Pats got lucky that Tribilsky is so erratic passing the ball missing wide open guys.

Brady can counter the bleeding if NE gets the ball last like vs KC. Pittsburgh is getting its offense going and KC vs NE could very well be the AFCC.

NE passing D is 29th allowing TDs and 25th allowing most yards. Yards may not matter, but TDs sure do. 7 games in and I would welcome Peterson if he can fix this defense.
NE pass D is in the top 10 in lowest yards per attempt, qb rating against, comp % against and INTs.

I'd go 1st and Rowe, don't think we should be paying anymore than that, maybe add in Crossen or someone else.

Gilmore and Peterson together though? That just might be the best CB duo of the 2010s, arguably better than Talib/Harris.

People really suggesting we cut one of our captains in the middle of the season?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back