PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

I think he has more leverage than you're saying and less than others are implying.

"Who will the team play for?" is a big part of coaching. The best I've seen it handled was with Smith and Mahomes in KC, but Smith was already established in his 13th year when the Chiefs leaped up to grab Mahomes. And Smith is legendary in KC for his attitude in that process (it's rare for a star QB to act like that...see Bledsoe/Brady or Brady/Jimmy, etc.).

Jimmy isn't in the same position as Alex Smith was in. Smith had maybe one more decent contract and was skiing down the back sid eof hte mountain. Jimmy's going into his eighth year, but he's only played in 48 NFL games - he's busted because of injuries in SF, but with one solid year and a SB appearance. The potential is still there for him to shine, but he's running out of time and he and Don Yee both know it.

If he goes out there this year and things aren't perfect for him, his thoughts of being an A-level QB are pretty much over, and his next contract, which is coming fast either way, will reflect that.

If he goes out there this year and lights it up, SF is set up for a major controversy that could close their window. Again, this isn't the KC situation (Jimmy has too much to lose) and the last thing Shanahan wants right now is a locker room that splits on the QB. That would put even more pressure on the rookie and/or a $24million player sitting on the bench is like dead money at the end of a dynasty.

Jimmy knows this and Shanahan knows this. Better for everyone that they move him, and I expect that Jimmy's agent feels the same way. In fact, I'd wager that Don Yee is begging Shanahan to move him to a place where he'll be "THE GUY" and where the coach believes in him and will give him the Mulligan he needs.
You are giving the reasons why it is best for Jimmy.
That’s not leverage its reason to beg.

Once again, this discussion is a bit Jimmy demanding a trade. That only applies if the 49ers want to keep him. If they want to keep him, his only tool would be to hold out. So arguing that the 49ers should want to trade him doesn’t apply, because them wanting to keep him is the presumption of the discussion. Holding out isn’t going to force anyone’s hand

Anything that involves newton as the starting QB is the worst plan.

I disagree. Trading a ton of assets for a QB you know nothing about, who isn't even in the top three QB's coming out this year, JUST because he's QB? That's the worst plan. But at this point your feelings on Cam Newton are quite well documented, so I don't see a lot of value in arguing this any deeper.

Lynch using his buddy Simms to lay a trap for Bill, betting he sells out to move up to 4 with the hope his "guy" is there. Bill, even at almost 70 yo can't be as dumb as some of the fans that fall for this nonsense.
No idea tbh. There a few guys out there they are higher on Mac than I but this would still blow my mind

They're probably already going to face this problem. Their best offensive player Kittle is in a bromance with Garoppolo. I doubt he'll be happy about this. If you start Jimmy again this year and he plays excellent, you're gonna then turn around and dump him?
He will be a free agent after this year.

They're probably already going to face this problem. Their best offensive player Kittle is in a bromance with Garoppolo. I doubt he'll be happy about this. If you start Jimmy again this year and he plays excellent, you're gonna then turn around and dump him?
What do you do if JimmyG takes them to say the NFCCG while playing well.

Can you dump a QB like that?

And if you don't you just spent three 1st round picks on a backup QB.

No. but it seems like the 49ers want to get what they spent for Garoppolo or even more and that's just not gonna happen. I mean if it's a 1st or 2nd for Garoppolo or a 4th for Minshew or Mariotta I'm taking the latter.

Neither of those 2 have ever had a season as good as jimmy g.

2019 Jimmy had a 69% completion percentage, 27 tds and 13 interceptions.

I think he has more leverage than you're saying and less than others are implying.

"Who will the team play for?" is a big part of coaching. The best I've seen it handled was with Smith and Mahomes in KC, but Smith was already established in his 13th year when the Chiefs leaped up to grab Mahomes. And Smith is legendary in KC for his attitude in that process (it's rare for a star QB to act like that...see Bledsoe/Brady or Brady/Jimmy, etc.).

Jimmy isn't in the same position as Alex Smith was in. Smith had maybe one more decent contract and was skiing down the back sid eof hte mountain. Jimmy's going into his eighth year, but he's only played in 48 NFL games - he's busted because of injuries in SF, but with one solid year and a SB appearance. The potential is still there for him to shine, but he's running out of time and he and Don Yee both know it.

If he goes out there this year and things aren't perfect for him, his thoughts of being an A-level QB are pretty much over, and his next contract, which is coming fast either way, will reflect that.

If he goes out there this year and lights it up, SF is set up for a major controversy that could close their window. Again, this isn't the KC situation (Jimmy has too much to lose) and the last thing Shanahan wants right now is a locker room that splits on the QB. That would put even more pressure on the rookie and/or a $24million player sitting on the bench is like dead money at the end of a dynasty.

Jimmy knows this and Shanahan knows this. Better for everyone that they move him, and I expect that Jimmy's agent feels the same way. In fact, I'd wager that Don Yee is begging Shanahan to move him to a place where he'll be "THE GUY" and where the coach believes in him and will give him the Mulligan he needs.
You guys make it sound like there should never be "competition" to avoid a controversy in what is one of the most competitive sports. Literally thousands of players compete and get cut every year. This is just nonsense.

What do you do if JimmyG takes them to say the NFCCG while playing well.

Can you dump a QB like that?

And if you don't you just spent three 1st round picks on a backup QB.

It's why Jimmy G is going this year. There's no way the scenario works out with the both of them.

You guys make it sound like there should never be "competition" to avoid a controversy in what is one of the most competitive sports. Literally thousands of players compete and get cut every year. This is just nonsense.

This isn't "competition" it's here is your replacement. You don't trade 3 firsts and a 3rd for competition at the spot.

Brady was never in danger of losing his job, nor was Rodgers. Jimmy has a legit shot to be on the niners bench next year if they do not trade him.

I agree with you.
Let’s compare / contrast. We all saw the QB & on-the-field product NE worked with last season. Fans were losing it. They went 7-9. Ryan has gone 7-9 or worse five times in his career.
The Falcons are considered a marginally better franchise than the Lions. Stafford just brought the Lions a big haul, even though he's old as can be. As good as Stafford is, he has never lead his team to the Super Bowl, nor has he been the NFL MVP.

Matt Ryan is a really really good QB, now in the twilight of his career (which makes him less valuable), he's top echelon, but played for a horrid franchise. In the biggest game of his career, he was incredible for the first 30 minutes. Then he choked.

This isn't "competition" it's here is your replacement. You don't trade 3 firsts and a 3rd for competition at the spot.

Brady was never in danger of losing his job, nor was Rodgers. Jimmy has a legit shot to be on the niners bench next year if they do not trade him.
What if the kid is a flop? Or what if he breaks his leg on a scramble? Then what? Putting all your eggs in a completely unknown basket is dumb. JimmyG is sunk cost and is healthy. Dumping him now makes little sense and is a huge risk.

I disagree. Trading a ton of assets for a QB you know nothing about, who isn't even in the top three QB's coming out this year, JUST because he's QB? That's the worst plan. But at this point your feelings on Cam Newton are quite well documented, so I don't see a lot of value in arguing this any deeper.
It’s not just because he’s a QB, it’s because your team is desperate for a qb, you’ve failed to find a capable one any other way, and this is how you find QBs.

I mean look around. Almost every team with a good qb drafted him in the top 10 or so or at least the first round.
If you look at the ones who weren’t, the success rate of how they were acquired is infinitesimal.

if the odds of hitting on a top 10 pick on a QBs are 35% and the odds of all other means are 2% that doesn’t mean you draft a qb high it means you have to and that’s why it’s so expensive.

What if the kid is a flop? Or what if he breaks his leg on a scramble? Then what? Putting all your eggs in a completely unknown basket is dumb. JimmyG is sunk cost and is healthy. Dumping him now makes little sense and is a huge risk.

They already put their eggs in that basket by trading 3 first round picks. You don't trade that kind of capital for "competition" at most Jimmy G is in San Fran for a year and is cut for nothing.

There is clearly someone they really want. But we are supposed to believe they will pay jimmy $25million to start

Neither of those 2 have ever had a season as good as jimmy g.

2019 Jimmy had a 69% completion percentage, 27 tds and 13 interceptions.
No, a thousand times no.

Lynch using his buddy Simms to lay a trap for Bill, betting he sells out to move up to 4 with the hope his "guy" is there. Bill, even at almost 70 yo can't be as dumb as some of the fans that fall for this nonsense.
How would this benefit Lynch since Bill would pick after the 49ers?

They already put their eggs in that basket by trading 3 first round picks. You don't trade that kind of capital for "competition" at most Jimmy G is in San Fran for a year and is cut for nothing.

There is clearly someone they really want. But we are supposed to believe they will pay jimmy $25million to start
That's all I'm saying, JimmyG plays this year and they move on from him next. They may even play the kid after 8 games or so depending on what's going on. I just don't see them trading JimmyG "this year."

Simms. No different than you or I saying what we think really.

but I hope he is right and we move up to 4 and take fields.
He has said on his show that they were roommates in college and that he stays in touch with Kyle.

How would this benefit Lynch since Bill would pick after the 49ers?
Makes JimmyG more valuable if Pats "guy" is off the board I guess. I just don't believe any of these rumors.

Makes JimmyG more valuable if Pats "guy" is off the board I guess. I just don't believe any of these rumors.
But if Bill trades up to 4, Bill won't trade for Jimmy as a ton of draft capital is gone. So really, it hurts to the 9ers.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back