PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

You guys make it sound like there should never be "competition" to avoid a controversy in what is one of the most competitive sports. Literally thousands of players compete and get cut every year. This is just nonsense.
Great. Now tell me all the competition with rookie deals involving a player with a $25 million cap hit.

I'll wait.

There is simply no way we're going to trade into the spots we need to, given what we've already seen.
OK, so that's what you believe.

My view is that this is that there are 2 likely opportunities to give the patriots a SB team this year or next, (Bill's 3 year plan).

One opportunity is to trade up to 4 (if 4 are acceptable; or even 5 if 5 are acceptable.

The other opportunity is to trade a 2nd for Jimmy as a 1 year bridge, a 2 year bridge, or as our LT quarterback,
==================
I agree with those who would trade out top 3 picks plus next year's first for #4, especially if Bill wants Lance. I would try to keep this year's 2nd and substitute next year's second. I would then trade for Jimmy.

You are giving the reasons why it is best for Jimmy.
That’s not leverage its reason to beg.

Once again, this discussion is a bit Jimmy demanding a trade. That only applies if the 49ers want to keep him. If they want to keep him, his only tool would be to hold out. So arguing that the 49ers should want to trade him doesn’t apply, because them wanting to keep him is the presumption of the discussion. Holding out isn’t going to force anyone’s hand
Both the second and fifth paragraphs are reasons why, if I'm Shanahan, I'm cutting ties with Jimmy.

And no, this isn't a "please come play for us" rationalization. I'd like Garoppolo back, but I'm not sure he's THE guy. Fortunately for you fans, I'm not the one who has to make that call.

My view is that this is that there are 2 likely opportunities to give the patriots a SB team this year or next, (Bill's 3 year plan).

One opportunity is to trade up to 4 (if 4 are acceptable; or even 5 if 5 are acceptable.

The other opportunity is to trade a 2nd for Jimmy as a 1 year bridge, a 2 year bridge, or as our LT quarterback,
==================
I agree with those who would trade out top 3 picks plus next year's first for #4, especially if Bill wants Lance. I would try to keep this year's 2nd and substitute next year's second. I would then trade for Jimmy.
I don't believe there are 5 future great QBs in the draft this year (at least, not the five everyone's talking about - who knows if any of hte tier 2's will turn into something.

If I'm making the call, such a trade wouldn't happen until Draft Day, and until I know which three are gone by #4. If BB is in love with Jones or Fields or Lance and that guy is still there, then sure.

QBs are over-hyped coming out of college.

Both the second and fifth paragraphs are reasons why, if I'm Shanahan, I'm cutting ties with Jimmy.

And no, this isn't a "please come play for us" rationalization. I'd like Garoppolo back, but I'm not sure he's THE guy. Fortunately for you fans, I'm not the one who has to make that call.
Well I disagree with that because I think the lockerroom will be split thing doesn’t really happen especially when you win and the second half of your argument is they should trade him in case he has a great year.
These things take care of themselves.
I think the biggest reason is you just spent 3 1s on a guy, why waste 24 mill to keep him off the field?

Again, none of my comments have been about the 49ers decision but about the idea Jimmy has leverage to demand a trade and hold the 9ers hostage

I think Bill is content to let the game play out. Lynch is screaming “he’s not for sale!!!” to try to get Bill to get worried and up his offer. Bill will instead simply wait. He knows he is one of few suitors due to Jimmy’s no-trade clause. He may be the only suitor. He’ll wait til draft day if necessary and watch SF draft their new guy. As soon as they make their pick he will call Lynch and tell him his offer is now even lower. Lynch will say no way, Bill will say OK I’ll just play Cam this year and see what he has, good luck this year. At that point Lynch will either end up cutting Jimmy or keeping him and Bill will move on til 2022.

Great. Now tell me all the competition with rookie deals involving a player with a $25 million cap hit.

I'll wait.
Huh? I'm not the one saying there will be competition that will create "controversy." But if you're going to limit it strictly to a "player with a $25M cap hit," my abacus says none.

What do you do if JimmyG takes them to say the NFCCG while playing well.

Can you dump a QB like that?

And if you don't you just spent three 1st round picks on a backup QB.
???

In this case, SF trades Jimmy and does very well for waiting a year.

I don't believe there are 5 future great QBs in the draft this year (at least, not the five everyone's talking about - who knows if any of hte tier 2's will turn into something.

If I'm making the call, such a trade wouldn't happen until Draft Day, and until I know which three are gone by #4. If BB is in love with Jones or Fields or Lance and that guy is still there, then sure.

QBs are over-hyped coming out of college.
If draft only 'great' quarterbacks, you will likely never get a top 10 quarterback, all that is really needed.

If we need a Lawrence in order to draft a QB, the patriots are unlikely to get such a quarterback in the next 10 years.

Take Mond in the 2nd after grabbing the generational TE monster at 15. Win/win

If SF wants to sit their QB for a year then one option they could choose would be to sign Alex Smith who is proven to be a good mentor and likely has only one year or so left in the NFL. 49ers could trade Jimmy G for the best package to earn back some draft equity. It's clear that Jimmy G isn't in the 49ers plans other than to be a bridge QB now. Alex Smith could do that job too.

If SF wants to sit their QB for a year then one option they could choose would be to sign Alex Smith who is proven to be a good mentor and likely has only one year or so left in the NFL. 49ers could trade Jimmy G for the best package to earn back some draft equity. It's clear that Jimmy G isn't in the 49ers plans other than to be a bridge QB now. Alex Smith could do that job too.
I like Smith but a reason why they want to move on is jimmy's availability. This isn't Smith's greatest strength either.

Take Mond in the 2nd after grabbing the generational TE monster at 15. Win/win
Pitts is going top 10 easy after running a blazing 4.46 40 yard dash at his pro day and could go as high as 4 to the Falcons.

==================

I think you missed my point. I would love to see them trade up for that.

My point was that the price for trading up is evidently a lot higher than that.

I'll wait.

This is exactly it. We've just spent the last few months ragging on the Packers and the Chiefs (before Mahomes restructured) for all the space their QBs take up. There's a price for taking on Jimmy G's contract, whether you're the 49ers or the Patriots. This is exactly why the 49ers paid so much for a rookie QB. They know they can load up for the next 4 years WHEN they unload Jimmy's contract.

I think Bill is content to let the game play out. Lynch is screaming “he’s not for sale!!!” to try to get Bill to get worried and up his offer. Bill will instead simply wait. He knows he is one of few suitors due to Jimmy’s no-trade clause. He may be the only suitor. He’ll wait til draft day if necessary and watch SF draft their new guy. As soon as they make their pick he will call Lynch and tell him his offer is now even lower. Lynch will say no way, Bill will say OK I’ll just play Cam this year and see what he has, good luck this year. At that point Lynch will either end up cutting Jimmy or keeping him and Bill will move on til 2022.
I think this is 100% spot on. Belichick is content with going into the season with Cam and if anyone should know it, it'd be someone who played for him. Bill almost refused Lynch's request to play the full final preseason game. He makes decisions and that's that (see: Butler in Super Bowl).

So in a NE-SF trade, Bill has all the leverage. Especially when SF drafts a QB and if Jimmy approves a NE trade (which would be shocking if he didn't).

I think this is 100% spot on. Belichick is content with going into the season with Cam and if anyone should know it, it'd be someone who played for him. Bill almost refused Lynch's request to play the full final preseason game. He makes decisions and that's that (see: Butler in Super Bowl).

So in a NE-SF trade, Bill has all the leverage. Especially when SF drafts a QB and if Jimmy approves a NE trade (which would be shocking if he didn't).
Having a good team that will go nowhere if you don’t get a qb isn’t exactly my idea of leverage in trading for the only one left.

The JimmyG stans are going to be insufferable.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back