PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing of the tourch.

Rational Chiefs Fan

On the Roster
Reaction score
So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.
You can't be blamed for trying to feel better after a bitter defeat, but no torch has been passed -- Mahomes will have to earn it. And while you present yourself as a fairly reasonable ("rational") fan, your fellow fans left a lot to be desired, especially with their over-the-top abusiveness at Chiefs Planet. It felt good hearing that moronic tomahawk chop chant hit a sour note tonight.

Not trying to rub anything in. Congrats to you and the chiefs on a great year and well fought game. But that said no torch was passed tonight showed whoever wants that torch will have to pry it from his cold dead hands years from now.

I think Mahomes will get you a ring but Brady ain't done yet.

Patriots pass rush fatigued - was major reason they lit it up in the 4th. Mahomes was great. But Brady converted 3 third and 10s in OT - hardly dink and dunk stuff. But hey, Mahomes can show out in the Pro Bowl.

Patriots pass rush fatigued - was major reason they lit it up in the 4th. Mahomes was great. But Brady converted 3 third and 10s in OT - hardly dink and dunk stuff. But hey, Mahomes can show out in the Pro Bowl.
It's crazy. Brady is a truly special once in a lifetime player. I was watching highlights from SB 36 and his throwing motion and decision making are almost identical.

As of right now, the torch remains in Foxboro. Maybe next year. Rams needed an all-time bad call to make it to the SB. I feel good about our chances, especially given the Pat's development of a power run game. It will be close, like today but I think the Pats prevail. Brady and Belichick get #6. We are spoiled.

Brady has had good luck in his career and some bad luck. Dee Ford being offsides was good luck. But when it is time to count the money, he is usually at his very best.

I guess the torch stays where it is for a while longer.

There was the passing of the touch though..

Chiefs defense did what it needed - it held the Pats under 20 points going into the 4th quarter. It got 2 INTs. The Chiefs offense was the reason the team lost. You can't expect a team to score 0 in a half and win.

That being said, I don't see Mahomes playing at this level too long. The way he uses his arm isn't sustainable and while he may have a stellar 4-5 years, his arm will deteriorate slowly. Also, do you honestly expect that this is Brady's last swan song? Brady will be in the AFC Championship game again next year, and we've seen so many franchises like the 2018-19 Chiefs in the last 2 decades that show incredible promise but fade the next year. And it's also not sustainable to hold together this incredible Chiefs offensive group - not when Mahomes gets that huge extension. It was an excellent game and Mahomes certainly shows promise, but there is a 0% chance that he ever comes close to doing what Brady has done, and certainly no passing of a torch.

You are making the same mistake people did with Wentz, RGIII, Luck, Wilson....the list could go on and on. Yes PM had an AMAZING season and you are quite properly excited about the future. However you need to stop focusing on the impressive throws and realize he is a very young guy and still makes mistakes. Lots of them amd unless he continues to improve he will be figured out. That's what makes Brady so great the never ending drive and hunger to always get better. Year in and year out for 18 years now. So no, no torch has been passed and we will see what year two of PM looks like. For now he is just another name ina long list of QB's Brady sent home early.

Now all of that said I think he has a better chance of being the next best QB in the league when Brady retires then anyone else on that list. He was extremely impressive and I look forward to seeing him develop. The chiefs have absolutely nothing to regret they left it all out on the field and gave the pats all they could handle. Great game, and good luck next year....until they play the pats ;)

lol. I do think Mahomes can be a great QB for the future... but Brady has been the best for a long time and isnt going anywhere. the torch will be passed on whEn either Mahomes wins a superbowl or Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Rothlisberger retire. he should be the MVP this year, but lets not get carried away...

you should go hang out at a saints board to learn how to conduct yourself. when Mahomes wins a super bowl then talk to me about torch passing. until then give it up. take your gut-wrenching defeat like a man.

If you’re using a short passing game approach as proof that TFB doesn’t “have it” any longer, you obviously haven’t been watching the Patriots for the last couple of decades.

They utilize the short passing game when defenses go zone-heavy, and have even used it in lieu of a running game at times. Setting all of that aside, Brady made awesome pre-snap adjustments and threw freaking darts downfield plenty of times when it mattered, too.

How do you know that Mahomes won’t end up as the next Rodgers or Marino, meaning that his stats and accuracy are great, but that he doesn’t win consistent championships. You don’t. At this point in time, you actually have no idea whatsoever. There hasn’t been any “torch” passed. Lol. What are talking about?

Brady doesn’t have a true down the field weapon. He does what he has to do to put up points. Death by a 1000 cuts, so be it. When he had Cooks last year he led the league in big plays. Name of the game is winning and Brady has won by the long ball and he’s won by the short ball.

Mahomes is great but also has a stellar cast around him. Hill takes the top off of any D. Will Mahomes be the precision passer Brady is if he doesn’t have those players around him? If he has a long career at some point we’ll find out.

The biggest thing between Brady and any other competitor is Brady’s will to win. He’s the most clutch athlete in team sports history. Mahomes is a great athlete with a great future but no torch was passed today.

You did honor coming back on Monday to congratulate us, so respect for that.

However, from what I saw, Mahomes was extremely lucky and lacked judgement on some of those passes, several should have been picked. You may also want to wait to see what the cap does to the team around him before you crown him heir apparent. Injuries are also a concern with his style of play. There's been dozens and dozens of QBs since Brady began his extraordinary run that have all failed to deliver. The secret is to maintain consistency which is no easy task, unless your name is Brady.

Good luck to your team, and try to get a defense that's worth a f*ck, that was embarrassing in your own house.

Dude slow down. 15 years? Dude has come up limping 2 playoff games in a row. He will be lucky to see 10. Also, he isn’t Brady in any way shape or form nor ever will be Brady has “dinked and dunked” for years. Why? Because it is a precision based offense while “Showtime” plays a version of backyard football. Only real time Brady didn’t was Moss in ‘07 and a real NFL fan would know that.

Mahomes has shown me NOTHING that says he is even clsoe to Brady in anything other than physical gifts.

Last edited:
But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done.

The fact you are reviving one of the earliest criticisms of the guy suggests maybe he's not done.

Either way thanks for coming in here and saying 'well we lost but I was basically right also your QB is old.' So classy.

Please feel free to eat a **** on your way out.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back