PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing of the tourch.

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.
I know that winning is a foreign concept to a team that has won 2 playoff games in 25 years (both followed by being defeated by the patriots) but the “torch” is inscribed with 29 playoff wins, 9 conference championship and 5 Sb titles and the engraved is preparing to change the 5 to a 6.
you don’t get the torch by beating the colts and you certainly don’t get it by losing. (Barely completing 50% of your passes and getting shut out for a half isn’t helping either.

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.
Whatever makes you feel better pal. You clearly haven’t been watching for the last 20 years or you would understand that the Patriots have ALWAYS dink and dunked. Come in here to be a good sport but take a shot at our guy on your way out the door. Get your sorry ass outta here.

Right, health makes a difference and if his career is gone in a few years because of injury then it is what it is. But going into next year counting this year as his rookie year no one in the history of football has had a rookie year anywhere close to this, I mean its not like he had a good year or a great year, he had the single best year EVER in the history of the NFL for a rookie season QB. Look its not that I'm saying something bad, your team is changing from a team that Brady was the main reason you were good to a team that is squeaking by because the Hoodie is really ramping up his schematics on both offense and defense.

The torch was clearly passed tonight but it doesn't take away from your win, good luck in the SB.

You don't pass any torch unless you know the future. Team (trying playing with a crap roster, and that happens), health and coaching all play into the future. See how the Chiefs weather this loss, and then come back. You know nothing about the future, because it ain't here yet. The Eagles fans were claiming they had arrived last year to stay, and went .500 this year and are watching the Pats and Rams.

You are looking for hope, which as a fan you should. This is a team sport, and your QB arrived with a talented roster. That roster will have to be paid. 5 years ago the Broncos had a better team, statistically, than the Chiefs have now. They won a title with defense 2 years later (QB was cooked), and now are crap. That is the NFL.

This commentary has nothing to do with the Pats. Even fans who hate Brady and the Pats acknowledge his greatness (Mahomes takes nothing from Brady because he hasn't shown he can take you to the promised land yet - that means winning titles, and he has none). Until Mahomes does this for a while, not just a year, his stats this year mean nothing. If he does this through bad personnel, injury and adversity, and he has not done that yet, then you can claim his ongoing greatness. For now, he had a great year. Every other claim on tomorrow is just you as a fan dreaming of a happier time and hoping this is the beginning of a few or many years of this. You would not be the first to do that, and won't be the last.

Stick by your team. They showed promise this year, so you have reason to hope. But until you see how next year unfolds, I wouldn't buy tickets to the 2020 Super Bowl.

those three agree with me too!
No, man, they're laughing AT you for saying you wouldn't let Brady throw the ball. No rational football fan would make such an outlandish statement.

No QB has ever done what he has done in his rookie year, ever.... his main issue will be health, other than that he will have pretty much every record there is one day ( again health is the biggest issue)

Mahomes had a great year. But years like he had only come around so often, the KC offense was stacked in the reg season. Without Hill and Kelce no way Mahomes puts up the #’s he did. He will be great but let’s see him perform at a high level for a few years before we talk about torches.

My point is the chiefs had really no running game.. the pats did

I feel if they had hunt they would have had pts in the first half

And I could say that the Patriots would have scored 3 more touchdowns if they had Josh Gordon, the bottom line is that both are meaningless speculation. The Patriots have won Lombardi’s without Gronk and lost them with Brady hobbled, and once again it doesn’t matter, all that matters in football is who can overcome all of the bad breaks to walk away with the Lombardi, and I don’t feel any worse about the Chef’s losing Hunt than I do the Patriots losing Gordon, that’s what happens when you take risky players.

That game was one of the best I have watched over the years, and it could easily have gone either way, I’m just happy it went the way it did, one more win for #6 and Brady’s 30th playoff win, that’s f.cking amazing.

Mahomes had a great year. But years like he had only come around so often, the KC offense was stacked in the reg season. Without Hill and Kelce no way Mahomes puts up the #’s he did. He will be great but let’s see him perform at a high level for a few years before we talk about torches.

Good post. Mahomes has a long long way to go to be the next great QB, and winning with a mediocre suppprting cast is one of the hurdles he will have to get over to prove it.

I think the coaching has become much better over the last year and a half for the Pats, I mean opening day last year with Alex Smith we absolutely destroyed the Pats and a couple years before that they were so bad that they benched brady with a blowout win.

My biggest credit is for the coaching the last year and a half, that has been the difference maker. Brady's passing, rushing game, defense etc is just ok but they are coached up perfect. Like taking a bunch of C+ students and convincing them that they are A+ and giving it all they have. Its very impressive.

Again, good luck in the SB
Oh, boy. I remember reading this **** for the first 8-10 years of Brady’s career. Everyone always just so flabbergasted. Slow, short receivers. DB’s from the scrap heap. Always picking last in the draft. But this Brady guy, still somehow comes through with the game on the line year after year after year. Thank the football gods that Belichick coaches the games to always be this close or this Brady guy would never be able to get it done... :rolleyes:

Think about what you’re saying for more than one minute. Brady is who you apparently thought he wasn’t. Look at the cast that QB has managed to take to the Super Bowl. Look at the **** he has had to overcome this year. Wanna know why they were able to run it down your throats to win the game? Your team ain’t tough, and they were scared of Brady.

28-3 dumbass!

Passing of the torch?

Too soon.

No QB has ever done what he has done in his rookie year, ever.... his main issue will be health, other than that he will have pretty much every record there is one day ( again health is the biggest issue)

It's not his rookie year. He has a lot of talent and some moxie. That's not enough. Like Fnordcircle wrote, it's four months of play. We'll see.

It never ceases to amaze me how fans of other teams refuse to understand Brady's skills. They see other QBs run faster, scramble better, throw on the run better, throw longer, etc., and their analysis ends there. They don't get it, those are impressive skills but Brady's entire pro career has been the prima facie example of why his decisionmaking and accuracy, coupled with mental and physical toughness, makes him more successful than anyone to ever play the position. Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson put up far better numbers than Russell, but virtually every year watched him walk away with the championship, for very similar reasons (OK I'm an old fart but its the best example I could think of on the fly here to illustrate my point).

Mahomes had an awesome year and as a fan of the game I can't wait to see what he will do next year, and hopefully for him. many years to come. But anyone who wants to anoint him Brady's equal or even close on the skills that are the basis for Brady's unparalleled accomplishments needs to do some serious reevaluation of the events of the past 18 years. As plenty of other posters have pointed out in this thread, we'll see, for example, how well Mahomes handles major changes to his surrounding personnel, coaching staff, front office, etc.

Yeah, those dinks and dunks somehow levitated just before hitting the ground five yards down field and zoomed past the Chiefs secondary into the waiting hands of Edelman, Hogan and Gronk.

its because he's not good at passing anymore and threw a really stupid pick earlier in the game. The chiefs D gave up rushing yards in chunks, the hoodie made the right call. I wouldn't let brady throw the ball.

Just what I thought, a salty POS you are.

its because he's not good at passing anymore and threw a really stupid pick earlier in the game. The chiefs D gave up rushing yards in chunks, the hoodie made the right call. I wouldn't let brady throw the ball.
I think it’s time for you to leave before you lose whatever self respect you have left.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back