PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing of the tourch.

I mean, obviously Brady ( and Brees, Rivers and Roethlisberger) aren't going to play forever, so there will be a wave of young QBs taking the mantle from them soon. But that game wasn't a passing of the torch, considering Brady out played Mahomes.

Brady had a higher completion percentage, yards per attempt and actually had more passing attempts than Mahomes. The only area in which Mahomes performed better was in yards per completion, which was only because the Patriots don't have guys like Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. The Patriots' only deep threat is Patterson, but he's not really good at getting separation, so he's obviously more of a gadget weapon.

Brady and the Patriots game planned to move the ball down field steadily and control the clock because that's the personnel they have. Brady certainly doesn't have the arm Mahomes has - who really does? - but he has no trouble getting the ball there if he's not under pressure.

Brady was better than Mahomes last night. Not just from a quarterback intelligence standpoint, but overall. He made one mistake on a specialized play that the Chiefs were prepared for, that's it. He threw himself out of interceptions multiple times in the game by recognizing angles defenders had on throwing lanes. Mahomes launched a deep ball that was severely underthrown and should have been picked off. One long Chiefs TD was on a screen. Watkins caught the ball on the pick play about five or six yards down field. Mahomes wasn't launching deep ball after deep ball, he threw two that connected all game.

So while I agree with your point that Mahomes will be one of the guys to whom they torch will be passed, last night wasn't the ceremony, nor was it even close.

Last edited:
But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done.
People have been saying Brady’s time is about done for 6 years now. Yet here we are.
Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years.
I like Mahomes. I really do. But before you start planning the next 15 years, you should consider that KC currently has more offensive weapons than any team in football. They’re already talking about a $200 million contract for Mahomes. You think you can give him $200M and keep all those weapons?? Mahomes is not going to always have Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Watkins and Kareem Hunt.

Oh wait that’s right. He’s already lost Hunt. And the team went 4-3 since that point. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Mahomes had a truly remarkable season, and earned his MVP.

With that said, I wouldn't be too quick to the trigger on any career labels. Nobody saw 2008 for Brady after 2007. Gannon and Esiason had MVP seasons, but are not in the Hall of Fame. If health, personnel and personal drive are there, then maybe he is the future. Those are really big if's.

In professional sports, especially a contact sport like football, I wouldn't be quick to look past the season and the ability to put a collection of great years together. If you need a cautionary tale on the uber kid who comes out of nowhere to shock the world, see local product Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. 22 year old All Star and Rookie of the Year with a 19-9 record, #2 in Cy Young voting, 2.34 ERA. Next year tore his knee, done in five seasons having never repeated that success.

What makes Brady the greatest is greatness over time. Others will grab the great years, but fortune tellers trying to call the future have repeatedly failed in calling his end, let alone the identity of those who will come to replace him. I like Mahomes, and I wish him well because he does seem to be a decent kid and is fun to watch, but I wouldn't be so quick to anoint him the future of anything just yet.

You don’t even need to go back far:

RGIII - The greatest of all-time his rookie year, according to everyone in the media

Luck - Not that he’s bad, but I clearly remember the Pats blowout of the Colts in 2014 AFCCG being a “passing of the torch” game too, with all pundits picking the Colts to win the SB in 2015 and beyond. Luck is a good example because he hasn’t faltered but shows all the obstacles and difficulties, especially after he got paid

Prescott - Compared to Brady frequently his rookie year. He’s a good quarterback but so much overhype. His game didn’t really grow like people expected

Wilson - Probably a “best case scenario” in terms of staying good, but he still only had one title now that the Seahawks couldn’t keep their pricy defense to support him

Wentz - Incredibly talented, and I hope he succeeds, but already injury clouds on the horizon with him.

Garoppolo - See Wentz.

So when someone says “passing the torch,” they act like this next QB is just going to waltz to nine SBs, since it’s so easy. No other QB is in the same success stratosphere as Brady, though.

Whatever makes you feel better pal. You clearly haven’t been watching for the last 20 years or you would understand that the Patriots have ALWAYS dink and dunked. Come in here to be a good sport but take a shot at our guy on your way out the door. Get your sorry ass outta here.
not taking any shots at anything, look I gave the Pats their props and especially Hoodie, he out coached us plan and simple. But all you have to do is watch the two play now and you can see the torch has been passed at QB. If you had Mahomes and we had brady in that game you would of blown us out by 21 plus. Mahomes is special and it frustrates fans of other teams and they just keep wanting to knock him down. The torch has been passed at QB but it has not been passed yet as a team.

Speaking of Wentz, there’s more to football than talent and skill. In the last few years we’ve seen really damning reports about RGIII, Rodgers, now Wentz, and Wilson, all describing locker room problems. Mahomes seems like a good guy, but we’ll see how he handles success and how his teammates react when he gets a $200M deal. Will he still be the same humble leader? Money and fame changes many people.

Report: Carson Wentz Described as 'Selfish'; QB Fails 'To Take Accountability'

not taking any shots at anything, look I gave the Pats their props and especially Hoodie, he out coached us plan and simple. But all you have to do is watch the two play now and you can see the torch has been passed at QB. If you had Mahomes and we had brady in that game you would of blown us out by 21 plus. Mahomes is special and it frustrates fans of other teams and they just keep wanting to knock him down. The torch has been passed at QB but it has not been passed yet as a team.
No, I’d we had Tyreek and Watkins we would’ve blown you out by 21 plus. Brady on that KC team would’ve rewritten the record books.

You claim to be a “rational” fan but it’s clear you’re really just a jealous troll. Win something first, then come back to us with how the torch has been passed.

Mahomes made some ridiculous throws but perhaps you missed he was only 16/31 for less than 300 yards while losing 46 yards to sacks one of which cost them 3 points which may have won them the game had they had it.

People get all excited with these parlor trick throws much like with Rodgers and miss that he isn't checking out of plays, isn't taking the open option because he wants the big play and is surrounded by talent at every skill position. What happens when he's forced to work with less?

One year a career does not not make so to use the Parcells line let's not put him in Canton yet, OK?

No. Mahomes can’t make the throws Brady threading the needle to Edelman and Hogan etc.

So no.

So much for salvaging any self respect.

The torch was used to burn down the metaphorical teepee

Seems Mahomes has a giant hemorrhoid stuck in his azz...never heard of a "rational hemorrhoid" but...well...there it is.

No QB has ever done what he has done in his rookie year, ever.... his main issue will be health, other than that he will have pretty much every record there is one day ( again health is the biggest issue)
Here’s the problem. You’re in ****ing shock. Get away from the keyboard and go take a ride in your car for a while. There is absolutely no reason for you to make your team look as bad as you are right now. Your team lost in a great battle, and your answer to that is talking ****.
People like you will never get it. For that, I’m sorry. You have years of what-ifs, disappointments and finger pointing in your future. Good luck with that. Mahomes isn’t the first that could take and win it all with a Patriots team. To be honest, I feel cheated with having to settle for Brady all these years. Imagine what these Patriots could’ve done with Manning, or....RODGERS!!!! :D People just don’t get it.

You’re making yourself look bad. Maybe that’s what you’re trying to do, I don’t know. What I do know, is your 15 mins of time is up. Crawl back to your little hole @ Chiefs Planet.

He dinks and dunks downfield because that's all he needs to do to dominate. Why do anything else?

When he needs to open it up, he does. Last 3 drives. And he scores every time.

5 downfield throws for 3 quarters. Then 17 in the last quarter.

Think about that.

Mahomes is great. But he held onto the ball alot and was sacked 4 times by the #30 sack defense in the league.

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.

Sports fans spend most of their lives saying "if only" and "wait 'til next year."

Mahomes is supremely talented and seems like a great kid. Should be a SB in the future for him.

No torch was passed yesterday. First off, IF ONLY Miami hadn't pulled a gimmick 1-in-1000 play to end the game, yesterday would have been in Foxboro.

If that game had been in Foxboro, the Chiefs had no chance. 97 to 47 plays in regulation...and entire quarter of possession favoring the Patriots. it would have looked remarkably like the Charger's game the week before.

Second, Dac Prescott. A year makes a difference. Mahomes looks like he has the goods. It'll take him a 5-10 years to prove what you say.

Chiefs fans should be very upbeat about their future.

But everyone thought Seattle was a dynasty, the '01 Rams were a dynasty, and Jacksonville was a lock for the AFCCG this year.

Andy Reid is melting down right now. If the Chiefs lose him, their whole world can change for the worse.

Mahomes also clearly struggled with lining up his protection before the snap, an area in which Brady obviously excels. There's more to playing quarterback in the NFL than moving around and having a strong arm. You have to command the offense, which Brady does as a 17 year vet and us something Mahomes doesn't always do yet as a first year starter.

Brady is not dead or dying. No torch has been passed. I am not rooting for Kansas City. I am a Patriots Fan. I root for the men playing for my team. Mahomme is a nice little QB. He will get better for sure. But until Brady hangs them up, no torch has been passed.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back