PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Catching /3rd Down Back

with Ty now on the IR

any changes? use Stevenson in the role?

Time to give JJ Kid Dyno-Mite one last chance! He promises, no more fumbles!

I think they will just split the backfield snaps series to series. If Harris is in the game for the first two downs I don’t think they will take him out on third down, same with Rhamondre.

I do wonder if we will see two te and 3 receivers sets, with Jonnu getting snaps out of the backfield.

I think Stevenson's the guy, given the IR situation. Is there any return designation known? Do they have to divulge that up front?

Burrow was sacked 7 times. Thats pretty impressive with the caliber of WR the Bengals have.

Mixon had a great day receiving vs Pitt. Jones needs to go to the safety valve RB when the pressure comes.

Why would they elevate JJ for that role when PStrong made the roster ahead of him?
How many first to fourth round draftees do you think have been waived by the patriots before Game One?

ZERO

Last edited:
I do wonder if we will see two te and 3 receivers sets, with Jonnu getting snaps out of the backfield.

I don't see why not... He's built very similarly to the Late Prisoner; they should be able to give him a couple of tosses & other looks similar to what the LP saw whenever he was lined-up in the backfield...

Last edited:
I think they will just split the backfield snaps series to series. If Harris is in the game for the first two downs I don’t think they will take him out on third down, same with Rhamondre.

I hope that's how they use the two backs

I think Stevenson's the guy, given the IR situation. Is there any return designation known? Do they have to divulge that up front?
I don't know if they have to designate a return status when they place a player on the ir...

Be interested in the answer... Will see if I can find anything

I don't know if they have to designate a return status when they place a player on the ir...

Be interested in the answer... Will see if I can find anything
I know you have up to 8 times that you can designate someone to return this year, I just don't remember whether you have to designate them as they go on the IR, or whether you designate them when you bring them back.

8 total that is, not 8 per player :D

I know you have up to 8 times that you can designate someone to return this year, I just don't remember whether you have to designate them as they go on the IR, or whether you designate them when you bring them back.
looks like you designate them to return by having the player return to practice... there is a four week window after the return to practice in which the team has to activate the player

Give JJ Taylor more reps and a legit chance to fail.

3rd down passing RB is the perfect role for him. Get Taylor out in space where he can use his small size and shiftiness to get YAC.
Rham. Let him punish under sized defenders in space. He's every bit as fast as any other back on the team.
A reminder from another thread:

For reference here are Saquon Barkley’s fastest runs from 2019:

Stevenson’s game speed is not 4.64. Reaching 20+ MPH at his weight is basically limited to Derrick Henry & Leonard Fournette.

Could Jonnu Smith be another Cordarrelle Patterson?

He might not have CP's vision from the offensive backfield, but he should have his maneuverability in space to do a lot of the same things...

Last edited:
Excellent, so we have used a designation on LilJordan and we know we WILL use on on Thornton.. argh at this point this will become a thing we all have to count

Excellent, so we have used a designation on LilJordan and we know we WILL use on on Thornton.. argh at this point this will become a thing we all have to count
Humphrey was promoted from the PS not activated from the IR. Right now they’ve used none of their designations although it’s assumed Thornton will be designated when he recovers enough to practice and eventually play.

Humphrey was promoted from the PS not activated from the IR. Right now they’ve used none of their designations although it’s assumed Thornton will be designated when he recovers enough to practice and eventually play.
oh, right you are. That came from my earlier wondering whether and which players would be IRd/designated since we had so many wideouts (so much safer than PS)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back