PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Catching /3rd Down Back

yeah, i should have stated hypothetically... those numbers are just spitballs used to illustrate the idea... I absolutely have no idea how long it will take him to fully recover...
I would only say they are hoping it will be less than the 4 weeks that IR would have been. I guess it’s a good sign that he traveled because Bill doesn’t usually take guys who aren’t going to play. Keep an eye on practice the next 2 days.

I agree; but if or when he's given another chance at meaningful snaps, he can't be leaving the ball on the ground...
Interesting...

someone with tweeter should tweet @ Jerry Rice about how to apply stickum to your gloves and get away with it...

I would only say they are hoping it will be less than the 4 weeks that IR would have been. I guess it’s a good sign that he traveled because Bill doesn’t usually take guys who aren’t going to play. Keep an eye on practice the next 2 days.
Is it four or six weeks automatically lose to IR ... Im having a brain fart here, and cannot for the life of me, remember

I think if everyone is healthy, Rham is still going to get a healthy amount of 3rd down reps, especially in 3rd and less than 5. Assuming the reports about his improvement in the passing game are true, he's the best dual threat we have for those situations. Ty would be used for 3rd and long, and 2-minute situations where you know you're going to pass 99% of the time.
i actually started charting third down plays in the raiders game to get an indication... but Mac got dropped too often to make any sense of their potential direction... so I gave up

Sorry if this has been brought up already - but the most important part of the 3rd down/Passing back's role is pass protection.

With that said I think if Ty isn't ready to go , naturally that means we get Rham in the role for now, as he's the most developed in that aspect of who we have left to plug n play.

However BB does notoriously try things early in the season so I could see perhaps Strong/Taylor (if called up) get some extended looks.

Ideally , I think they want to have D.Harris and Rham alternating drives with Rham getting the 2 min drills. So this sort of puts a pause on that.

Sorry if this has been brought up already - but the most important part of the 3rd down/Passing back's role is pass protection.

With that said I think if Ty isn't ready to go , naturally that means we get Rham in the role for now, as he's the most developed in that aspect of who we have left to plug n play.

However BB does notoriously try things early in the season so I could see perhaps Strong/Taylor (if called up) get some extended looks.

Ideally , I think they want to have D.Harris and Rham alternating drives with Rham getting the 2 min drills. So this sort of puts a pause on that.

Sorry, I stuck my post in front of you by seconds.

Got it in by a Razors Edge.

Last edited:
Is it four or six weeks automatically lose to IR ... Im having a brain fart here, and cannot for the life of me, remember
4 games/8 players/ 2x per. But don’t memorize it cuz they'll just change it again.

Last edited:
Even when Ty gets healthy I don't think he'll be our 3rd down back I think his role will be more like Sammy Morris where he'll be used to create mismatches in the passing game but not as true 3rd down back.

I think Rham and Harris will split carries pretty much every other series including 3rd down plays with Harris more likely than Rham to come off when in situations that are really long and obvious pass situations.

4 weeks/8 players/ 2x per. But don’t memorize it cuz they'll just change it again.

lol, made me laugh out loud, literally

It should be Stevenson. Enough with the musical chairs at RB.

When was the last time the Patriots really used one of their primary rushing backs as a also the third down back? I’m thinking 2003? That year Kevin Faulk and Smith nearly split the rushes 50/50, and Faulk was also the pass catching back (along with Larry Centers are FB).

That being said, I’m not sure that Belichick is married to having a dedicated 3rd down/pass catcher. It just seems he always ends up having one due to the prohibitive cost of feature/threw down running backs. And the success he had at acquiring pass catching backs. If Belichick had prime Bell or Tomlinson, I’m sure they’d see the field over a dedicated pass catching running back.

When was the last time the Patriots really used one of their primary rushing backs as a also the third down back? I’m thinking 2003? That year Kevin Faulk and Smith nearly split the rushes 50/50, and Faulk was also the pass catching back (along with Larry Centers are FB).

That being said, I’m not sure that Belichick is married to having a dedicated 3rd down/pass catcher. It just seems he always ends up having one due to the prohibitive cost of feature/threw down running backs. And the success he had at acquiring pass catching backs. If Belichick had prime Bell or Tomlinson, I’m sure they’d see the field over a dedicated pass catching running back.
Woodhead

Why would they elevate JJ for that role when PStrong made the roster ahead of him?
Strong made the roster because of his draft status, potential, and likelihood of being claimed due to those things. That's not the same as being ready to play right now.

Taylor was ahead of him on the depth chart all summer, looked better with the ball, but didn't make the team probably in part because BB knew he's made it through waivers before.

Strong made the roster because of his draft status, potential, and likelihood of being claimed due to those things. That's not the same as being ready to play right now.

Taylor was ahead of him on the depth chart all summer, looked better with the ball, but didn't make the team probably in part because BB knew he's made it through waivers before.
Similar to Ferentz vs Strange

Yep, Woodhead in 2010 was a phenomenal runner, would have led the league in rushing DVOA with a few more carries to qualify. What was notable given his size was his yards after contact when running between the tackles. But teams caught on to the threat and started (legally) bashing his helmet when they could...

The thing about the third down back role is the player has to be able to pick up the blitz.

That's something none of the current backs I've seen have shown me.

Maybe Montgomery can do it.
JJ Taylor made a great blitz pick-up block in preseason maybe against guys who are bagging groceries now...but he did look good doing it. :)

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back