PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OTA'S 6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have been reading, it sounds like he was missing things, but the defense was also throwing some different looks his way - not “exotic” necessarily but certainly not vanilla stuff. So to me it seems sort of encouraging in a way, if they’re trying to test him this early.
I think it's depended upon which reporter is doing the interpreting. For example, Curran gave it a positive spin, while Volin gave it a negative spin (I know that neither is a surprise, but I'm just tossing out a couple of examples, and went with the obvious.

Overall, it sounds as if he's on a satisfactory pace for June 12th. Whether he's a little bit ahead, or a little bit behind, isn't really important right now.

Harry was leading the team with a 3.7 yard cushion in terms of getting open. Maybe you should stop the BS rhetoric and deal with reality. Or is that asking too much of you?
chill snowflake, I hope you can interpret the emojis properly next time if not here is the translation: IT WAS A JOKE! oh well not everyone has humor...

Reiss has some interesting notes today on 3 of our 2nd yr players: Uche,Asiasi and Zuber.
All 3 have consistently turned heads so far. Yeah,I know its only ota's.
Oth,Wino has not been seen much.
I expected a breakout year from Uche. I think the return of High and Van Noy plus Judon actually increases Uches playing time. Because hes different than all 3. Speed. We're in nickel or more 85% of the time so hes got some serious raw skills to be developed. I like Wino but he hasnt shown the all-around skills yet. W/o injuries to others,I think hes gonna lose some snaps this year.
One intriguing point Reiss brought up regarding the tes: he says asiasi looks like a different player and what about the possibility of 3te sets? Hmm.
Gonna be an interesting season

Last edited:
Brian Hoyer was the best QB today “. That is the LAST time you will ever hear that!
I sincerely hope so. I never ever want to see the guy take another meaningful snap for us.

Checking down, in general, is fine. But the "why" of it is important. If he's checking down because players are all covered, it's the right thing to do. But, if he's checking down because things are still moving too fast for him, and he's missing reads and/or open receivers, as the media seems to be telling us, that's a sign that his brain is not yet up to speed.

And, that's not fine, though it's not something people should be surprised or panicking about in the middle of June, either.
It seems things are too fast for him. He had a quote where he said he is trying to process everything. I agree that it is no reason to panic right now BUT it does always make me think that our offense is just too complex. I really wish we would simplify more but I know the complexity is also why it is successful but there have been so many players over the years from draft picks to FAs that could not pick it up.

There have been multiple reports that the team is throwing more info at Mac then previously drafted QB's. It could be indicative of his draft position / mental ability. It's not a bad thing he is struggling to compute all that info in June in OTA's.

Last edited:
Reiss has some interesting notes today on 3 of our 2nd yr players: Uche,Asiasi and Zuber.
All 3 have consistently turned heads so far. Yeah,I know its only ota's.
Oth,Wino has not been seen much.
I expected a breakout year from Uche. I think the return of High and Van Noy plus Judon actually increases Uches playing time. Because hes different than all 3. Speed. We're in nickel or more 85% of the time so hes got some serious raw skills to be developed. I like Wino but he hasnt shown the all-around skills yet. W/o injuries to others,I think hes gonna lose some snaps this year.
One intriguing point Reiss brought up regarding the tes: he says asiasi looks like a different player and what about the possibility of 3wr sets? Hmm.
Gonna be an interesting season

Did you mean 3 TE sets?

From what I have been reading, it sounds like he was missing things, but the defense was also throwing some different looks his way - not “exotic” necessarily but certainly not vanilla stuff. So to me it seems sort of encouraging in a way, if they’re trying to test him this early.
The people I've read who seem to really know football (as opposed to the Ben Volin's of the world) indicate that indeed, he was getting a lot of advanced looks and that he's actually light years ahead of JG or any other rookie QB they've had through here in the past 20 years.

Checking down, in general, is fine. But the "why" of it is important. If he's checking down because players are all covered, it's the right thing to do. But, if he's checking down because things are still moving too fast for him, and he's missing reads and/or open receivers, as the media seems to be telling us, that's a sign that his brain is not yet up to speed.

And, that's not fine, though it's not something people should be surprised or panicking about in the middle of June, either.
The former Patriots QB whose thread has been exiled from the main page here commented that in his first season here, things seemed to move too fast for him to process. Said it was a world of difference in perceptual speed his 2nd summer camp.

Yikes! Of course! Thx for catching it.
I just edited it

We could have Dalton Keene as a fullback to make it 4 TEs on the field ;-), with Harris or Stephenson as the power back.

Let's hope, but we need to have a QB that can see and exploit the mismatches with alternate formations.

We could have Dalton Keene as a fullback to make it 4 TEs on the field ;-), with Harris or Stephenson as the power back.

Let's hope, but we need to have a QB that can see and exploit the mismatches with alternate formations.
I think most of us are hoping Mac will be ready by midseason at the latest. Cam obviously cant throw anymore. Good leader, great teammate,nice guy..but lousy qb at this stage.
But theres a lot for a rookie qb to learn. Thick playbook. Sending Jones out b4 hes ready is worse than trying to get by with Cam. Likely run- heavy offense regardless of who's at qb. The REAL fun will be next year- when Jones wont need to think as much and can just play.
Pats will kill people with play action.

sounds like keane had been riding the bike through the ota program. He might start the year on the pup and get the red shirt year he desperately needs,

sounds like keane had been riding the bike through the ota program. He might start the year on the pup and get the red shirt year he desperately needs,
And that saves his asss.
Because theres no way he takes the fb job from JJohnson. Johnson made big strides last year and is now a solid fb but still on the upswing. Since Jacob doesnt count against the roster somebody's got to be better than him to take his job. Theres nobody even close. Blocking is the #1 most important part of that job. Receiving is a bonus, but if the fb aint a good blocker, the receiving is useless.
Some people here think you can just plug anyone into the fb spot- that it's an easy job to learn. Its not. Especially being a lead blocker for the rbs- its not just putting your head down and plowing ahead. Theres a lot of nuance and adjustments. You have to know your rbs strengths, your ol, the entire offense. You need to make adjustments to the defense.
Not as easy a job as Develin made it look.

I know this can be taken as a negative but by most accounts this is a player poised to make another leap. I think Meyers has a chance to join Edelman & Branch as a legitimate homegrown WR.

Last edited:
And that saves his asss.
Because theres no way he takes the fb job from JJohnson. Johnson made big strides last year and is now a solid fb but still on the upswing. Since Jacob doesnt count against the roster somebody's got to be better than him to take his job. Theres nobody even close. Blocking is the #1 most important part of that job. Receiving is a bonus, but if the fb aint a good blocker, the receiving is useless.
Some people here think you can just plug anyone into the fb spot- that it's an easy job to learn. Its not. Especially being a lead blocker for the rbs- its not just putting your head down and plowing ahead. Theres a lot of nuance and adjustments. You have to know your rbs strengths, your ol, the entire offense. You need to make adjustments to the defense.
Not as easy a job as Develin made it look.

Jakob doesn't count against the 90 man roster, but does against the 53. We were talking about the 53, not the 90 man roster.

I agree that Dalton will have a tough time displacing Jakob, but I think he will still be on the final 53. There are always injuries and veteran cuts. 3rd rounders rarely are cut in Y2.

I know this can be taken as a negative but by most accounts this is a player poised to make another leap. I think Meyers has a chance to join Edelman & Branch as a legitimate homegrown WR.

Taking this as a positive personally. Last year he was our #1 option and did very well, with ABSOLUTELY no help. People knew he was all we had. I’m looking forward to seeing him this year with a little bit of a supporting cast around him.

I have high hopes for him in year three, though the caveat here is that his numbers may not actually change that much. He could improve pretty drastically, but with actual tight ends on the roster now and (theoretically) better WR around him, Meyers may not see the volume he did in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing