PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - World Cup 2018 Thread

Oh, and what happened to Italy? Aren't they a traditional soccer power?

Messi can't handle pressure?

Lionel Messi? The footballer?

Dude, find another sport.

The difference between Portugal and Ronaldo and Argentina and Messi is that Portugal play to Ronaldo's strengths and make sure he's given chance to influence the game in the right areas. Now more than ever with his physical attributes beginning to wain slightly and him moving into a more central role. Fernando Santos is extremely practical and pragmatic and he knows how to set his team up in the right way. He's proved it with Greece and now for several years with Portugal.

Whomever is in charge of Argentina (three managers in this qualifying period alone) simply picks the biggest names and tries to shoe-horn them into the team without much thought or anything like a gameplan. Or they go the other way and make the team too defensive without any chance of being able to counter-attack effectively. The only gameplan is "pass to Messi". That's not Leo's fault, nor is the shocking lack of movement whenever he gets on the ball. The players around him today were awful, Aguero scored but managed to mark himself out of the game mostly, Di Maria was dreadful along with Meza, Biglia never in the game. It's always the same for Argentina, it's the Maradona effect. Maradona though had the fortune to play for managers that could set up the team to help him and make sure they weren't out of the game at any point. Argentina were lucky to qualify for the tournament, let's not forget, and the only reason they did is due to a certain #10. They're becoming the South American version of England. Plenty of egos and names, but little idea how to operate effectively in tournament football.

Stop making excuses dude. Argentina has a better team than Portugal. The guy has choked under pressure. Another Messi apologist. The guy had his chance in the final in 2014 and he missed a wide shot that would have given them the lead.

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

I am giving the WC a shot this year, even though I have typically referred to watching soccer as exciting as watching grass grow. I will say that so far, I would rather watch more WC than ever watch baseball or basketball. Of course, I'd rather staple my ball bag to a windmill than watch basketball.

Now, who to root for? I don't want to root based on geo-political considerations. I'll root for Iran if there's a good reason.

Serious question for you futbol guys. Are there countries/teams that are known for diving? There is nothing that make my ass pucker more than that crap.

No teams are completely clean, but Ronaldo is out on his own.

I want to actively root against those teams and then figure it out from there. Try to sell me on who might be worth rooting for.

I'm thinking.....

Iceland, because little island country pulling off upsets

Excellent choice -- everyone's favourite underdogs

Germany, because I love German beer, and apparently they actually could win it all!

Good choice on "fair play" grounds

Mexico, because we'd probably head the celebration all the way up here

No idea -- but they've had some great goalkeepers

And definitely England because my paternal ancestry traces back to the court of Henry VIII

The team probably won't do very well, but they (and their coach) are quite likable. As for their fans, though ...

:eek:

Messi can't handle pressure?

Lionel Messi? The footballer?

Dude, find another sport.

The difference between Portugal and Ronaldo and Argentina and Messi is that Portugal play to Ronaldo's strengths and make sure he's given chance to influence the game in the right areas. Now more than ever with his physical attributes beginning to wain slightly and him moving into a more central role. Fernando Santos is extremely practical and pragmatic and he knows how to set his team up in the right way. He's proved it with Greece and now for several years with Portugal.

Whomever is in charge of Argentina (three managers in this qualifying period alone) simply picks the biggest names and tries to shoe-horn them into the team without much thought or anything like a gameplan. Or they go the other way and make the team too defensive without any chance of being able to counter-attack effectively. The only gameplan is "pass to Messi". That's not Leo's fault, nor is the shocking lack of movement whenever he gets on the ball. The players around him today were awful, Aguero scored but managed to mark himself out of the game mostly, Di Maria was dreadful along with Meza, Biglia never in the game. It's always the same for Argentina, it's the Maradona effect. Maradona though had the fortune to play for managers that could set up the team to help him and make sure they weren't out of the game at any point. Argentina were lucky to qualify for the tournament, let's not forget, and the only reason they did is due to a certain #10. They're becoming the South American version of England. Plenty of egos and names, but little idea how to operate effectively in tournament football.
I respect ur opinion Brit, and the fact that Im brazilian might make me a tad biased, but after that Euro that CR7 won for Portugal, to me, he is the better of those 2.

Messi couldnt even win the America cup without Brazil as competition. He doesnt produce outside Barcelona, and that has to count.

Also, you kinda lose some points in not knowing who Sampaoli is. Guy is a great coach

Last edited:
They have not had a good generation in quite awhile. Their surperstars are all retired (only Buffon is left playing and he is 40. Bonucci also isnt a superstar IMO)

I didn't know that about italy. I guess I assumed they were a traditional power like Germany, France, Brazil, etc.

I didn't know that about italy. I guess I assumed they were a traditional power like Germany, France, Brazil, etc.
They used to be for certain. Since them, their league has gone bankrupt and they cant reveal new players...

Their national association has implemented a bunch of youth level stuff, like England has done a few years ago (and because of that, England has their best gen in at least 20 years)

I respect ur opinion Brit, and the fact that Im brazilian might make biased, but after that Euro that CR7 won for Portugal, to me, he is the better of those 2.

Messi couldnt even win the America cup without Brazil as competition. He doesnt produce outside Barcelona, and that has to count.

Also, you kind lose some points in not knowing who Sampaoli is. Guy is a great coach

Your thoughts on Brazil this year? I think they could win the whole thing this year. It would be a nice redemption. Off course Neymar needs to stay healthy.

I am giving the WC a shot this year, even though I have typically referred to watching soccer as exciting as watching grass grow. I will say that so far, I would rather watch more WC than ever watch baseball or basketball. Of course, I'd rather staple my ball bag to a windmill than watch basketball.

Now, who to root for? I don't want to root based on geo-political considerations. I'll root for Iran if there's a good reason.

Serious question for you futbol guys. Are there countries/teams that are known for diving? There is nothing that make my ass pucker more than that crap.

I want to actively root against those teams and then figure it out from there. Try to sell me on who might be worth rooting for.

I'm thinking.....

Germany, because I love German beer, and apparently they actually could win it all!
And definitely England because my paternal ancestry traces back to the court of Henry VIII:eek:
Mexico prepared for the World Cup by hiring 30 hookers for a 24 hour party. Whether that makes them more or less rootable is up to you.

So everyone seems pleased with how video reviews have been handled so far, right? It seems quick, unobtrusive and accurate. I think the NFL has to have the worst replay system of any sport. Takes forever, not everything is reviewable, and decisions are regularly questioned. Soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, even tennis all seem better received.

Your thoughts on Brazil this year? I think they could win the whole thing this year. It would be a nice redemption. Off course Neymar needs to stay healthy.
Trying to be as neutral as I can, but, on paper, i honestly think we have the best team.

We are not as dependent of Neymar as we were in 2014. Now we at least have Coutinho and Jesus(Or Firmino) as offensive weapons. Plus, our coach isnt someone who is stuck in the last century like Felipao and Dunga

I am excited and i can tell most of my countrymen are too.

Brazil and Germany are pound for pound the best teams on paper followed by Spain.

This is how deep Brazil is. I’ve followed Ederson Morais for years. He was developed in Portugal. Was the #1 GK for Benfica. I view him as one of the best GK in the world right now, and he’s Brazil second choice.

Embarrassment of riches.

Trying to be as neutral as I can, but, on paper, i honestly think we have the best team.

We are not as dependent of Neymar as we were in 2014. Now we at least have Coutinho and Jesus(Or Firmino) as offensive weapons. Plus, our coach isnt someone who is stuck in the last century like Felipao and Dunga

I am excited and i can tell most of my countrymen are too.

Yes but ya still need Neymar. Saw that against Germany in 2014. Germany might have won still but he gives you that guy to pay attention to. He sets it all up for Brazil

Last edited:

I'm thinking.....

And definitely England because my paternal ancestry traces back to the court of Henry VIII:eek:
Diving is just a trope that’s used in the US to belittle the game in general. There is no team that is more known for diving than another. Honestly, there isn’t that much of it. There’s way more PED in football than diving in soccer.

Brazil and Germany are pound for pound the best teams on paper followed by Spain.

This is how deep Brazil is. I’ve followed Ederson Morais for years. He was developed in Portugal. Was the #1 GK for Benfica. I view him as one of the best GK in the world right now, and he’s Brazil second choice.

Embarrassment of riches.

I liked France 3rd but they didn’t play well today. They got some talent. I would like Portugal to get to a QFs and it’s possible but it seems they’re very dependent of cristiano. They need other players to step up.

Mexico prepared for the World Cup by hiring 30 hookers for a 24 hour party. Whether that makes them more or less rootable is up to you.

More. Go Mexico.

Diving is just a trope that’s used in the US to belittle the game in general. There is no team that is more known for diving than another. Honestly, there isn’t that much of it. There’s way more PED in football than diving in soccer.

The difference for me is PED's don't bother me, diving does.

I'm certainly not bringing it up to belittle soccer. They fall down awfully easily when there is contact that could draw a whistle. It's part of the game. Own it. Hell, it's the most popular game in the world, so it obviously doesn't bother most of the population.

Personally, I put WC soccer 3rd behind football and hockey. No attempt at belittling here. The Montreal Canadiens had a team a few years back that could expertly put on a soccer diving clinic. That was a major ****sy team though.

I've decided....no jumping on bandwagon of obvious favorites.

Go England, Mexico, Iceland, and Switzerland! I guess I should have checked to see if any are in the same group

The difference for me is PED's don't bother me, diving does.

I'm certainly not bringing it up to belittle soccer. They fall down awfully easily when there is contact that could draw a whistle. It's part of the game. Own it. Hell, it's the most popular game in the world, so it obviously doesn't bother most of the population.

Personally, I put WC soccer 3rd behind football and hockey. No attempt at belittling here. The Montreal Canadiens had a team a few years back that could expertly put on a soccer diving clinic. That was a major ****sy team though.

I've decided....no jumping on bandwagon of obvious favorites.

Go England, Mexico, Iceland, and Switzerland! I guess I should have checked to see if any are in the same group
What little diving there is, shouldn’t bother you. It’s a part of the game, it’s not cheating.

So, during these games, I am hearing about players coming from Chelsea and other teams i think I recognize as English League. If someone would educate me...

Is the English League the NFL of soccer, or are other leagues pretty equal?
where are the other leagues?
do the leagues play against each other?
how long are the seasons and when are they?

thanks

What little diving there is, shouldn’t bother you. It’s a part of the game, it’s not cheating.

I'm watching the WC, so it's obviously not torturous to me. I just find it awfully kunty, and I always will. It's just something I hate about a sport that I am giving a chance and trying to like.

Joe Flacco's old throw it deep for a flag plays weren't cheating either. Just because it's not cheating doesn't mean it shouldn't bother me!

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back