PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: When you go out, are you wearing a mask?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When you go out, are you wearing a mask?

• Yes

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 68.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the key distinctions that often gets lost is this:

In a democracy, we elect people and give them the power to limit freedom in times of crisis. We can then evaluate how they did when wielding that power, and take action in response. Edit: and the role of leadership in that case is to protect that feedback loop as a higher priority than their own reelection. That's core to the job description.

In a truly authoritarian government, leaders aren't elected and the feedback loops that allow for correction are much more limited.
We’re a representative republic, though. ;)

That mark doesn't give authorities the license to detain you, restrict your travel, or arrest you without cause.

The mark does indicate that you voluntarily decided to serve in the armed forces to fight for the very freedoms that what I posted would be eroded, making your service pointless.

Also, thanks for doing that. :)

I have a "mark" on my driver's license that says I require glasses to drive.

Point is that the needs of society outweigh the needs of the individual.

download.jpeg

That mark doesn't give authorities the license to detain you, restrict your travel, or arrest you without cause.

The mark does indicate that you voluntarily decided to serve in the armed forces to fight for the very freedoms that what I posted would be eroded, making your service pointless.

Also, thanks for doing that. :)

@Tony2046 thanks for your service.
LuRkeR1978- People would not be forced to wear the band...it would be like a "I voted" or "I donated blood today" sticker...a mark of service.
No one would be detained...but a non-immune person can move at their own risk. But as an employer (medical practice) I should be able to bring in immune employees to work and protect the non-immune ones.
Our travel is already restricted, isn't it?

I have a "mark" on my driver's license that says I require glasses to drive.

Point is that the needs of society outweigh the needs of the individual.

View attachment 26720

Again, corrective lens will not lead to the aforementioned things in my last port. I have been pulled over while I wasn't wearing my glasses, and I told the officer they were broken, and I was picking up new ones later in the week. They didn't arrest, nor detain me for that.

@Tony2046 thanks for your service.
LuRkeR1978- People would not be forced to wear the band...it would be like a "I voted" or "I donated blood today" sticker...a mark of service.
No one would be detained...but a non-immune person can move at their own risk. But as an employer (medical practice) I should be able to bring in immune employees to work and protect the non-immune ones.
Our travel is already restricted, isn't it?

Do you honestly believe that? We're talking about a society that disproportionately arrests and detains black people for minor offenses. You are giving authority way too much credit.

Arrives: May 22 - June 15

On the bright side at least my surviving heirs, if there are any, will have masks :)

Yeah. Mine will be here around March 7th. It's my belief that we will be wearing masks for quite a while.

There are other vendors that supply masks but I'm not sure if delivery would be any quicker.

Again, corrective lens will not lead to the aforementioned things in my last port. I have been pulled over while I wasn't wearing my glasses, and I told the officer they were broken, and I was picking up new ones later in the week. They didn't arrest, nor detain me for that.

I don't understand your point. Do you wish to knowingly walk through society with Coronavirus?

I don't understand your point. Do you wish to knowingly walk through society with Coronavirus?

Absolutely not. But I will fight to the death giving the government license to completely strip my constitutional rights from me, in the name of a virus.

I will fight to the death giving the government license to completely strip my constitutional rights from me, in the name of a virus.

I don't know...maybe...tell ya what, let's give it a go. Since it's your idea you can go first. I'll be behind you...somewhere. :D

Absolutely not. But I will fight to the death giving the government license to completely strip my constitutional rights from me, in the name of a virus.

Well I definitely support protecting our rights. But watching people having corona parties and challenges makes me think we're in a new environment which may need new regulation to protect us from the stupid.

I don't know...maybe...tell ya what, let's give it a go. Since it's your idea you can go first. I'll be behind you...somewhere. :D

All I have is my automatic airsoft rifle and pistol. But I can always tape my strobe and machete to it and go Scarface...if it inspires the rest of the army, it will be worth it!

Well I definitely support protecting our rights. But watching people having corona parties and challenges makes me think we're in a new environment which may need new regulation to protect us from the stupid.

I don't disagree, but this is America...the stupids have the same rights, and we can't just pick and choose who gets them and who doesn't. That's a dark path we do not want to travel.

This sounds terrible but in a twisted way, I want to get infected just to develop immunity so when Stay Home orders are lifted, I can go back to work without fear of getting sick and THEN not being able to work (opportunity cost).
...or to just stay healthy until a vaccine is available.

I think millions of people have that urge. It's actually causing some directly traceable deaths, like people who attended "chicken pox" style corona spreading parties. But I'm not saying you're at that level, you're expressing a feeling lots of people feel, but what we feel isn't always the best thing to act on. Anyway, the rest of this post has some good stuff in it.

There is a theory out there that many of us may have gotten it with minimal symptoms I and developed immunity to it.
If we could mass test society and anyone with immunity gets a “wrist band” which grants access to return to work, etc. and the the ones who do not can continue to socially isolate until a vax is available.

There's a lot of interest in testing for antibodies. This is different from just straight up testing for the virus.

I'm not sure if you can be positive for the antibodies but still be a source of spread, but let's say no. So then, you could pass around the antibodies (that is being discussed as a clinical therapy,) AND you could have a pool of people "safe to work" at jobs where you have face to face contact (i.e., in addition to only permitting telework for those who can... b/c we still are on a razor thin margin of error until we have a vaccine.)

Once we pass the "peak" in some larger cities we have to think through some snazzy extra tools like this to get through the middle innings on the way to vaccine. I for one would be super-conservative about just lifting "stay at home" orders, but shoring up things like the supply chain would be fantastic... & this will be one stop on the way to getting back, very cautiously, a little of the public life we're all missing.

That’ll keep the economy running and still keep people safe.

see above... I think the devil's in the details, and I've seen so much magical thinking on this, I am super cautious about saying "yeah that'll be the magic bullet!" (Especially with the science guys saying "look we're really sorry but there's no magic bullet.")

Boston now asking everyone to do this or some type of protection over mouth.

Crazy times we are living in. I leave my mask and gloves in the truck. Gloves I leave outside in garage after I go to the store for a day or two until I bring them back in

I've never worn a mask.
I'm a very " let everybody do their own thing long as they don't hurt anybody" kind of guy. Not judgemental.
But I looked at people who wore masks as a little odd.
Now the most recent data they have is that nearly 50%--- I said nearly 50 freakin percent-- of anyone who contracts the virus has either no symptoms or symptoms so mild they're unaware they have it!!!!!!!!
Are you freaking kidding me?!?
So they're advocating we ALL wear masks so we don't unintentionally infect a fellow human being with a bug we don't know we have.
That is a completely different animal than wearing one for your own protection, which I still view as a little weird. But I also bike 7 days a week in traffic never wear a helmet, never will, don't wait an hour after I eat to go in the ocean,work a dangerous, physically demanding job at the age of 67 etc.
But I don't let my risk-taking affect other people.
With this new info, it seems it would be selfish of me to not wear some kinda mask when I hit the supermarket.

With this new info, it seems it would be selfish of me to not wear some kinda mask when I hit the supermarket.

This is how I have felt. It feels selfish of me to not wear a mask seeing as someone in my office building had it before we shut down...My mother works with someone who is getting tested as we speak.

I could have it right now and have no idea. This is for others which is why i decided last week to start doing this.

Commen sense tells me the # of infected people with no symptoms must be a lot higher than 50%.
50% is for all people tested.
But geez most people with no symptoms probably haven't been tested.
I could have it and not know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes