PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Watson to Brownies

Status
Not open for further replies.
The outside baggage is difficult for me to ignore, but even apart that and from the unprecedented amount of guaranteed money in the contract (well over 50% higher than the next highest contract ever) the draft compensation Cleveland gave up blows me away, three First Rounders, a Third Rounder and a Fourth Rounder? Wow.

The only previous trade involving 3 First Rounders that comes to mind right away is the Hershel Walker trade from Dallas to Minnesota (which was a clear win for Dallas).

There are plenty of examples of players traded for 2 First Round picks and the team trading away the picks often ended up as the loser (the Laremy Tunsil trade was a disaster for Houston and the Jamal Adams trade was pretty bad for Seattle also) but there are exceptions (the Rams did well in the Jalen Ramsey trade and the Bears probably won the Khalil Mack trade). Let me ask a serious question: how many times has a comparable draft package (3 First Rounders) been dealt for a player, and how did it work out for both teams in each circumstance?
Despite his baggage, as a football player he was worth it. He’s a pos. However this a far better deal than what the 49ers gave up for a unproven rookie in Trey Lance which I think was 3 firsts and a 3rd.

Houston had all the cards and I would of forced players in the trade as well. Kareem Hunt and Greedy Williams.

Browns sold their soul to bring this guy in. From what I am reading the fanbase is pretty divided with some fans claiming they are swearing off the team altogether. Aside from the fan reaction an investment this large into someone with questionable character and decision making is insane. If the Browns don't have some sort of clause in the contract that voids the deal if he screws up again they're even more insane.

Browns sold their soul to bring this guy in. From what I am reading the fanbase is pretty divided with some fans claiming they are swearing off the team altogether. Aside from the fan reaction an investment this large into someone with questionable character and decision making is insane. If the Browns don't have some sort of clause in the contract that voids the deal if he screws up again they're even more insane.

Yep; one would ass-ume that there is some clause somewhere that voids the Entire contract if he found guilty in a court of law by a jury of his fellow citizens...

The problem with these breakdowns is they don’t account for the overall cost/value total. On the “successes,” we’re looking at something close to a neutral overall cost/production.

Judon was a success, in the sense that he is probably worth the $15M the Patriots paid him. He’s a very good player at a high cost. He isn’t an elite player at a medium cost. He isn’t a good player at a low cost.

Henry was, maybe, a success. When you consider the contract was close to top dollar for TEs, it’s hard to argue he’s actually one of the best TEs or even close. Does he make the team better? Yes. But for the price paid, he’s not really an asset. As a test, imagine the Patriots put him on the trading block tomorrow. Do you really think other teams would bite at $12.5M per year? I don’t.

Smith is a huge miss. Huge contract, almost zero production. So, you can’t simply say Smith is a minus, Henry is a plus, as a final measure. The net negative on Smith is far greater than even the most optimistic positive return on Henry.

I could go through with the rest of them, but we’re looking at a very poor overall return for the money spent. Why? Because free agency is always subject to the Winner’s Curse. The winning bidder almost always overpays, especially with a larger sample size like the Patriots 2021 free agent class.

You know who believes this? Bill Belichick. Unfortunately, people can’t accept that he dug himself into a deep hole by failing to really rebuild the team and found himself in the worst position of having a giant pile of cash to burn out of desperation. These players were merely the best available at need positions in a relatively weak free agency year. Nothing more. It’s incredible that people are still believing there’s some sort of brilliant master plan or that these contracts were created with the future in mind when the opposite is true. The Patriots have almost no money to spend because they backloaded these deals and were as aggressive as any team in 2021 to win now.

And the only reason we had to spend that money is because of bills horrid drafting.

Generally you are paying your own guys that money. In our case we didn't have anyone worth paying

Despite his baggage, as a football player he was worth it. He’s a pos. However this a far better deal than what the 49ers gave up for a unproven rookie in Trey Lance which I think was 3 firsts and a 3rd.

Houston had all the cards and I would of forced players in the trade as well. Kareem Hunt and Greedy Williams.
I think of it more like an exchange of firsts and then adding 2 more, but I see your point with draft compensation, I agree they gave up way too much. Of course if Lance ends up as a viable starter (completely yet to be determined) they have a cost controlled QB on a rookie contract which evens it out a bit, but who knows if Lance becomes an effective starter.

What a horrendous trade for the Browns, dear god they'll never be any good when they make such stupid decisions time and time again. All those picks and all that money for a good (potentially great) tier QB that could get his legs hacked or end up in a cell at any moment.

Baker might be a joke but is Watson $230m better? Holy crap.

And the only reason we had to spend that money is because of bills horrid drafting.

Generally you are paying your own guys that money. In our case we didn't have anyone worth paying
So all those great draft picks from 2014-2017 would have played on the cheap for their second contract?

Funny, but I never knew the league worked like that. I mean, certainly Flowers, Thuney, Collins, Chandler Jones all got CHEAPER on that second contract, right?

The advantage in building through the draft is that you have a better idea of the players, obviously, coming off their rookie deals. For the years in question, the Patriots were trading picks for vets, picking specific need players, or take high-risk/high-reward shots (which usually don't pay off). They were also WINNING (and so picking at the bottom of the round).

Go look at the "hits" that they missed from those drafts and see what they're making now, then explain how missing on drafts from 2014-2018 has left them in a cap whole.

2019 was a terrible draft, I agree, and again, we gave up capital (and even 2020 capital...Sanu) while trying to squeeze out another year of Brady.

Objectively speaking, this is the worst contract in the history of sports. I’m not saying it’s a bad move by the Browns (it probably is though), but in terms of the contract value being set by precedent, this is beyond ****ing insane.

Watson is a good QB, but to pay him 1.5X the most guaranteed money ever, and all the while he’s coming in with all this baggage? I think at best he’s the 5th best QB, and that’s as optimistic as it gets. Houson’s point totals and efficiency was never very high, even with Hopkins.

Lol at Rodgers asking for an additional $0.7M just to beat out Allen in guaranteed $ and a week later Watson's contract blows his out of the water.

Lol at Rodgers asking for an additional $0.7M just to beat out Allen in guaranteed $ and a week later Watson's contract blows his out of the water.
Agreed.

Terrible look for a guy who came up very small the past two years at home.

Dude should focus on winning a damn game (s) when it matters most.

First public appearance since an embarrassing 10 points to go one-and-done and 0-4 postseason vs. Niners…

1647734257388.png

Watson gets his own thread but Brady can’t hilarious

Well the Browns really had no choice. They burned the bridge with Mayfield
So what? Mayfield blows. The Browns will be a serious threat now that they have a QB. They have everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST