PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Russell Wilson to Steelers

Wilson still thinks he's elite and wants to start day 1.

The Pats need a vet who won't be a locker room cancer if a rookie takes their job.
That sounds like Jacoby Brissett.

No really, fields isn't going to be a roadblock to what we want to do. He'd be coming in on his rookie deal, to compete with the draft pick, veteran QB. Wolf and Mayo already said they want to stack draft picks and weaponize the offense. Between fields, Mac and Zappe it's clear fields is the better player with more upside. Say fields came here and balled out in 24.. then we have a wonderful problem to have. As far as spending the organization is going to have to spend anyway. Pertinent to the CBA and league rules. DJ Moore had one of his best seasons with fields throwing too him over 1,300 yards.
Having Fields come in to push for the interim starter role under the watchful eye of a veteran while the new guy develops would be a big improvement over last year for sure. He would also give some insurance should the new guy not work out as planned. The only question is Fields as a leader and teammate. Would he accept open competition and support the new guy, or be a me first player?

Picking Steelers for the AFCCG right now. Amazing move. Tomlin chess, BB ???

I agree with you, on fields I think posters are being overly harsh on fields, like Mac he was in a tough coaching situation in Chicago, his numbers weren't terribly bad and he isn't trash. Trash QBs don't have 1,300 yard WRs.. who's the 1,300 yard guy on the patriots I ask those posters. We have to relax and keep an open mind. We are still drafting the guy of the future.
I don’t want to draft the guy of the futur and use additional picks to trade for fields it makes no sense. And I don’t want the rookie to have a competition. We need a QB that will groom him to become the starter if he is not ready to start right away.

Zach Wilson had Garett Wilson do you want the Patriots to trade for Zach Wilson also?

DJ Moore had 1200 yds in 2020 with Bridgewater. Honestly Moore having a 1300 yds season is more about Moore being really good than Fields.

Hoping that Fields ball out next year is at the same level than the Mac’s fan club hoping he would turn it around last year. It’s just fantasy.

Why are there two threads on Russell Wilson? Lol

It goes both ways - a good WR can also make a QB look less terrible (I'm not saying that Fields is terrible, although I'm not convinced by him - I'm just cautioning of using this as an endorsement of Fields' abilities). D.J. Moore put up three consecutive seasons of almost 1200 yards in Carolina with his QBs being Kyle Allen, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold. And if we go further back in history, Isaac Bruce put up almost 1800 yards in 1995 with his QBs being Chris Miller and washed-up Mark Rypien. He then put up over 1300 yards the following season with his QB being Tony Banks.
It does. And I absolutely respect your post. It's just as fans we have to keep an open mind. People act like the kid field's is absolutely garbage. No the Bailey Jones qb tandem was garbage is why Mac isn't here! It's like some fans on here act as if Bill and TB12 are still here and act like taking a chance on field's is beneath us. I'm in no way proclaiming field's is the answer, it's he was put in similar situations thst Mac was poor coaching multiple OCs in 3 seasons.. heck his head coach wanted him to be a pocket passer, and not rely on his instinct and athletic abilities. He has plenty of room to grow he's an elite athlete, rocket arm and has improved since a rookie. If we traded for him there is nothing tremendously loss if he didn't work out.

Yo
I don’t want to draft the guy of the futur and use additional picks to trade for fields it makes no sense. And I don’t want the rookie to have a competition. We need a QB that will groom him to become the starter if he is not ready to start right away.

Zach Wilson had Garett Wilson do you want the Patriots to trade for Zach Wilson also?

DJ Moore had 1200 yds in 2020 with Bridgewater. Honestly Moore having a 1300 yds season is more about Moore being really good than Fields.

Hoping that Fields ball out next year is at the same level than the Mac’s fan club hoping he would turn it around last year. It’s just fantasy.
Your being ridiculous now. Come on.. LOL. what do you mean you don't want the rookie to have competition? Competition if you're that "guy" then it pushes your competitive drive. I agree we need a QB to groom him and that is where say. Brissett type will come in. But again I'm only mentioning field's because we are being linked to trading for him. He would not be any inpedence to the Rookie, we just need solid play at the QB position from whomever, with this defense we are a playoff contender if so.

That sounds like Jacoby Brissett.
This at least will depress the backup qb market prices.

We have raiders, broncos, patriots , commanders and vikings in need
Of a vet.

My guess is garopollo gets cut and comes here for vet minimum .

We start him for 4 games and once he gets injured zappe for 4- 5 games and last 6-7 games with rookie

Russ is at the "My last team is paying $85 million for me to NOT play for them" stage of his career. No risk to the Steelers, who aren't sold on Pickett so if Wilson blows up that QB room they just clean house and start again in 2025. But for the Pats? I'm good.

This is a GREAT signing for the Steelers IMHO. It's even better since its only a one year deal. The Steelers got a starting QB for $1.2MM when the going rate is over 25MM. They improved their QB position at zero risk, since if he really IS washed as some people think, then it cost them nothing.

Good chance it works out fine, zero risk. The surprise here is that its only a one year deal. I would have thought Wilson would have asked for more security and gotten at least a second year. I never thought he would come here given our roster situation.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Low risk high-ish reward. Can't hate on that.

This is a GREAT signing for the Steelers IMHO. It's even better since its only a one year deal. The Steelers got a starting QB for $1.2MM when the going rate is over 25MM. They improved their QB position at zero risk, since if he really IS washed as some people think, then it cost them nothing.

Good chance it works out fine, zero risk.

As someone who often sees things from a coaching point of view, I'm surprised you're saying this costs the Steelers nothing and is zero risk.

It's costing them a year of time that they could be investing in a long term solution.

It's costing them a roster spot, coaching bandwidth, reps on the field.

It's costing them issues with massaging RW's ego and the ego of players whose jobs he's putting at risk.

That's why DEN moved on: keeping him was a waste of valuable resources.

It was worth it to DEN to take the cash/cap hits to try to get a viable long-term QB in place instead of continuing to go nowhere with Russ.

The surprise here is that its only a one year deal. I would have thought Wilson would have asked for more security and gotten at least a second year. I never thought he would come here given our roster situation.

If anyone wanted/needed a 2nd year it should be PIT, at least a team option.

Now if RW miraculously revives his career he's a FA and can go anywhere he wants which probably won't be PIT.

If he doesn't, he still is getting $38M this season split between DEN and PIT, he'll be fine.

IMO, RW is now late-period Cam Newton redux, an aging vet who once had moves but now has an injury history and a reluctance to run.

Even the contact, a vet minimum deal, is the same.

Cam didn't revive his career, and I bet RW won't either.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back