PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: UK Pats Fan Suffering depression

Good Morning/Evening/afternoons...

I have no idea with times at the moment!

Just want to say thank you all for the comments, the personal messages and the suggestion and helpfulness! Has been highly appreciated! My friends have also been keeping a close eye on me as well which has helped as well my family.

I’d just like to thank everyone whose either shared their story of this horrible thing called depression or has come up with ways they have coped.

You are all truly lovely, kind hearted, down to earth individuals, and you should be proud of that.

I hope you have all had a lovely Christmas as well, and that it was filled with fun, laughter and lots of good food!

Snooky,
first of all Happy New Year. I'm wishing you a far better 2018 than you had last year.

I'm a British NE Patriots fan too. I have also suffered from depression many times over the past 25 years. There is help out there please don't suffer in silence and do speak to those you feel able. The National Health Service will be able to help you.

This post is filled with plenty of good advice from other board members. It's been most helpful to read.

The easy things I would recommend are to examine your diet and improve your fitness. These aren't the root causes of your depression but by making positive changes at the most basic point should give you a necessary life.

You probably do need to question how much of an effect your current employment is having on you.

I think counselling can be very beneficial, if you can talk about what is making you depressed then you will be able to make changes. Whether its a health professional or someone with great compassion being able to speak with someone who is a good listener will do you the world of good.

I will give you one warning. Please be very careful if you decide to take any anti-depressants. I think these drugs are given out far too freely by most doctors around the world now.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor - Wikipedia

I took them and they have changed my life for the better but they do have horrendous side affects too. They definitely broke the cycle of negative thoughts which was seriously affecting me. There are many different types of these drugs available and if your doctor prescribes them to you and you want to take them then I urge you to do a significant amount of research before you start a course of pills. Also I'd suggest starting at a very small dosage. The side affects were brutal for me, I felt like a zombie and couldn't function at all so I stopped taking the pills. Another side affect is that they will crater your sex drive and quite possibly affect your desires for the long term. This might not seem important now but it probably will be in time. I'm certain most doctors just write a prescription without discussing all the issues with their patients.

Wishing you all the best and better health in 2018.

Hi all,

Some of you know me well on here and some of you don’t, I tend to be the positive person on the match day threads and the draft area.

Onto what this is really about...

All honesty I feel like my life is going nowhere expect downhill. No matter how hard I try it feels it’s going no where and I feel my issues and things I’ve raised haven’t been taken into account how I feel. My depression and anxiety has hit me really and I’ve just been signed off work on sick due to my mental health. I feel I am letting my family down, friends and myself. I look forward to every Sunday as that’s when my boys play and I feel happy again, sad isn’t it?

Work life -

I work for the government in the defence industry and I’m finding it very hard to cope with some colleagues and today I got pulled away from my team and was addressed with an unformal warning about what I was saying over Skype for Business. Basically I said I hate my team and find it really hard at times and I don’t like a team member what so ever and how she address me and how she talks to me.

Sorry for such a negative and downhearted post. Just needed somewhere to let this all out.

Thank you for those who have read this really do appreciate it.
hi.....here is what i think.....i try to abide by it myself.....with mixed results

try to surround yourself with positive people who bring out the best in you.....spousal relationship is obviously important.....communication and trust are paramount....let her know how important it is to feel that she supports you and believes in you

try to find a way to do positive and constructive things in your life (work, hobbies, fun).....if that necessitates a job change, then so be it......i am thinking of trying to transition to something more positive and fulfilling

dont be afraid to challenge negative people in your life(in a constructive way).....people will sometimes try to treat you and define you in a negative way that makes themselves look better and feel superior......just an unfortunate consequence of how life can be a zero sum struggle from time to time

dont take things too personally.....most things and most people dont matter that much in your life.....we all worry too much about the opinions of people who really arent that important relative to our life

regarding the people that do matter like family and close friends.....try everything to
make things right with them....if you can change anything with yourself to improve the relationships, do it.....but dont be afraid to challenge them either....if need be

dont feel that you are down in a rut by yourself......you're not......most people pretend to be happier and stronger and more confident than they really are

therapy might help.....i have done it......sometimes hard to transfer the new more positive cognitions and behaviour to the real world on a day to day basis

exercise has always been good for me.....burns up stress hormones.....gets endorphins flowing

pills can help.....i have been on everything from lexapro to nardil to klonopin to adderall at one time or another

just my opinion.....principles i aspire to achieving.....

Last edited:
@Snooky97

How are you doing buddy?

I remember back in the mid 1980's there were a few fish n chips stands in most English towns. Some would say 'this is the good one' while the others would say 'that's the good one' . Haha. After a few pints they were all good imo.

Anyways we used to head down to this pub down in Lakenheath village called the Bell. They had this drink called a snakebite which was about 75% Carlsberg and 25% woodpecker cider. Damn that was good. Guess what? Just had a local tavern make one of those for me the other night. It was like I had gone back in time. I distinctly remember drinking a few of those with my buddies and listening to "A whole lot of Rosie" blasting out of the jukebox in the corner of the place. 4-2- thirt-9- 56........ You could say she had it alll.........

Good times.

Now all I need to do is find a good fish n chips booth for after I've had a few snakebites. :D Damn that would be awesome.

Hope all is well.

@Snooky97

How are you doing buddy?

I remember back in the mid 1980's there were a few fish n chips stands in most English towns. Some would say 'this is the good one' while the others would say 'that's the good one' . Haha. After a few pints they were all good imo.

Anyways we used to head down to this pub down in Lakenheath village called the Bell. They had this drink called a snakebite which was about 75% Carlsberg and 25% woodpecker cider. Damn that was good. Guess what? Just had a local tavern make one of those for me the other night. It was like I had gone back in time. I distinctly remember drinking a few of those with my buddies and listening to "A whole lot of Rosie" blasting out of the jukebox in the corner of the place. 4-2- thirt-9- 56........ You could say she had it alll.........

Good times.

Now all I need to do is find a good fish n chips booth for after I've had a few snakebites. :D Damn that would be awesome.

Hope all is well.
Fish and chips can make a sad day happy.

For @Snooky97 and anyone else, gotta say I highly recommend St John’s Wort and Mini Chex. I feel like the best I’ve felt since problems hit me two months ago and since I started taking them last Monday (the 8th) and I don’t even have a full time job at the moment! I get them combined with accupuncture but, even just the supplements outta really help. A natural anti depressant.

Hope all is fellas, feels great to feel like myself again for the first time in what seems like ages.

Today was a pretty ****ty day. Somehow I made it through the work day without getting fired. God knows I wanted to punch some bozos in the throat.

Today was a pretty ****ty day. Somehow I made it through the work day without getting fired. God knows I wanted to punch some bozos in the throat.
So what’s going on? Anything particular or you just hate clowns? I say that as I have often been called a clown and it wasn’t a compliment.

Man. Do I know that feeling.

Power Tripping project manager. "I'll get this project done below cost and ahead of schedule.....der her her"

"Hey Tony when do you think you'll have this thing finished?"

"Hey **** head.... do you remember that estimate I gave you and you accepted? ..... Go F'ing read it again."

"But Tony we've got people waiting on you.....der her her"

"Then you F'ed up the schedule because I'm ahead of what I proposed you F'ing bildo"

Well the project is almost finished so it is what it is at this point.

Man. Do I know that feeling.

Power Tripping project manager. "I'll get this project done below cost and ahead of schedule.....der her her"

"Hey Tony when do you think you'll have this thing finished?"

"Hey **** head.... do you remember that estimate I gave you and you accepted? ..... Go F'ing read it again."

"But Tony we've got people waiting on you.....der her her"

"Then you F'ed up the schedule because I'm ahead of what I proposed you F'ing bildo"

Well the project is almost finished so it is what it is at this point.

Sounds like the Manager has a crush on you.

Hoping you dudes and dudettes are doing better.

Yesterday was really hard. Every time the holidays hit, I realize how much I miss Mom. That, compounded with depression and anxiety and cold, crappy weather can sap a soul of its vitality.

Thankfully, I got off my bum today and started writing again. I took a year off, and this experience was long overdue.

Hoping you dudes and dudettes are doing better.

Yesterday was really hard. Every time the holidays hit, I realize how much I miss Mom. That, compounded with depression and anxiety and cold, crappy weather can sap a soul of its vitality.

Thankfully, I got off my bum today and started writing again. I took a year off, and this experience was long overdue.
So what is your writing preferences?

Hey all,

Thank you for all the messages and support that i have had the last few months has meant a lot to me!

You'll all be pleased to know i am back off to work tomorrow for 2 hours a day for a week to see how i get on.

Once Again thank you everyone for your support and help these last few months, has helped me a tremendous amount, and i will always be in your debt!!

#LFG

We all suffer wins and losses in our lives. Just know that reaching out and talking to people is a great way to get advice and support. I know how you feel because I went through something similar to your situation. Some advice I can give you is to try to think positive and keep your help up.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back