PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Should the 49ers consider firing Shanahan for Belichick?

They went to OT with Mr.Irrelevant going against an all time great, and a 10 lead against the Chef’s is literally nothing.

I dunno, wasn’t andy reid basically the same before he got mahomes? Kyle has been to 4 nfcc’s and 2 sb’s in the last 5 seasons. If he had an elite qb id imagine his clutch time performance suddenly improves and he gets a few titles.

Jimmy g and purdy are system qbs in my eyes, not close to elite. Matt Ryan could have been on the cusp but lets not forget even with the colts he was part of another historic blown lead. Just look at his face, he constantly looks like he needs to take a dump

They went to OT with Mr.Irrelevant going against an all time great, and a 10 lead against the Chef’s is literally nothing.
Replace Purdy with any of the other 30 starting NFL QBs, do the 49ers win that game?

Allen and Jackson both have a history of choking in the playoffs. Hebert gets a ton of praise yet he’s sub-0.500 over his career. Burrow? Maybe. Who else?

Purdy was no worse than anyone not named Mahomes out there. He did fine. If his teammates executed better and his HC called and strategized a better game, he’d be a SB champion right now. The issue is, is it possible to improve on the HC weaknesses by replacing him without losing his strengths that got them there? I’m skeptical of that, like you.

Last edited:
I dunno, wasn’t andy reid basically the same before he got mahomes? Kyle has been to 4 nfcc’s and 2 sb’s in the last 5 seasons. If he had an elite qb id imagine his clutch time performance suddenly improves and he gets a few titles.

Jimmy g and purdy are system qbs in my eyes, not close to elite. Matt Ryan could have been on the cusp but lets not forget even with the colts he was part of another historic blown lead. Just look at his face, he constantly looks like he needs to take a dump
Purdy did fine. He was poised even after getting hit continuously and made a few key throws. Shanahan just blew the game in the 3rd quarter not running the ball at all. He choked big time

Not running at all in the second quarter was criminal.

44 year old schooled by a 65 year old.

Purdy did fine. He was poised even after getting hit continuously and made a few key throws. Shanahan just blew the game in the 3rd quarter not running the ball at all. He choked big time
McCaffery was averaging 3.6 yrds per carry last night.

I'm not great with math... but that seems to me to be 10 yards every 3 downs.

Imagine if you did that so much it opened up the pass option.

How do these coaches make such dumb mistakes in the biggest games?

1000003973.jpg

McCaffery was averaging 3.6 yrds per carry last night.

I'm not great with math... but that seems to me to be 10 yards every 3 downs.

Imagine if you did that so much it opened up the pass option.

How do these coaches make such dumb mistakes in the biggest games?

View attachment 56518
Yup not dialing up plays for Kittle was criminal as well

Bring BB as HC, Brady as QB and make Kyle an OC again lol

Not saying they should 100% do it.

But if your the owner, would you consider it?

It would definitely send shockwaves throughout the league.
???

Why because they have a great Defense?

because they played the team of the decade into overtime?

Or, do they need to fire some top coach because they didn't win the Super Bowl?

Yup not dialing up plays for Kittle was criminal as well
2 receptions for 4 yrds...

He only had one game all season with lower yds...

Cleveland... 1 yrd 1 catch...

Cleveland beat the niners that game

19 to 17.

???

Why because they have a great Defense?

because they played the team of the decade into overtime?

Or, do they need to fire some top coach because they didn't win the Super Bowl?

Replace the word "didn't" with "never will".

They made the biggest mistake you can make in football, for KCs last drive in regulation and drive in OT they went to the soft keep everything in front of you zone. KC had easy 10 Yd completions time after time and San Fran didnt switch until KC was close to the red zone.

You play not to lose instead of playing to win you usually end up losing

If I ran SF, while I would be extremely disappointed and disgusted at my offensive coaching staff/playcalling I cant fire someone that young with as much promise as KS and I think he is vastly overrated.

44 year old schooled by a 65 year old.
old guys can't "relate" to players though!!!
(you don't need to know the latest dance moves or pop bottles in da club. you just have to respect them and tell them the truth and help them get better imo)

I was ready to laugh at the idea, but this article is a bad look. For as pretty as Shanahan’s offenses can be, there are still some major questions about his work as a head coach.

Multiple San Francisco players said after the game that they were not aware that the overtime rules are different in the playoffs than they are in the regular season, and strategy discussions over how to handle the overtime period did not occur as a team. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead said he learned the details of the postseason rule when it was shown on the Allegiant Stadium jumbotron during a TV timeout after regulation. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk said he assumed the 49ers asked to receive when they won the toss because that’s what you do in the regular season, when a touchdown wins the game. “I guess that’s not the case. I don’t really know the strategy,” Juszczyk said.

Yeah, after hearing about the overtime rules, the advantage goes to the team that gets it second. Last night the advantage definitely went to KC. The Chiefs knew all they had to do is score a FG to keep going and time didn't mean anything because there would be another quarter if they hadn't completed their first drive. Meanwhile the 49ers had to do whatever they could to get a TD knowing if they didn't and the Chiefs responded with a TD, the game would be over. The advantage of know how many points you need to extend the game is huge because you don't have to make really risking plays when you are in field goal range.

It is kinda of inexcusable for Shanahan not to know that. The odds of an overtime happening was slim, but you need to be prepared for all potential scenarios for the Super Bowl.

Yeah, after hearing about the overtime rules, the advantage goes to the team that gets it second. Last night the advantage definitely went to KC. The Chiefs knew all they had to do is score a FG to keep going and time didn't mean anything because there would be another quarter if they hadn't completed their first drive. Meanwhile the 49ers had to do whatever they could to get a TD knowing if they didn't and the Chiefs responded with a TD, the game would be over. The advantage of know how many points you need to extend the game is huge because you don't have to make really risking plays when you are in field goal range.

It is kinda of inexcusable for Shanahan not to know that. The odds of an overtime happening was slim, but you need to be prepared for all potential scenarios for the Super Bowl.
Here is his explanation. Of course - if Mahomes got a TD on the opening drive and the 49ers match it on their drive, why not go for 2 and decide the game then and there?

Replace Purdy with any of the other 30 starting NFL QBs, do the 49ers win that game?

Allen and Jackson both have a history of choking in the playoffs. Hebert gets a ton of praise yet he’s sub-0.500 over his career. Burrow? Maybe. Who else?

Purdy was no worse than anyone not named Mahomes out there. He did fine. If his teammates executed better and his HC called and strategized a better game, he’d be a SB champion right now. The issue is, is it possible to improve on the HC weaknesses by replacing him without losing his strengths that got them there? I’m skeptical of that, like you.

Purdyhas done a good job for S.F., but I think if you gave the 49ers Allen, Burrows, or a number of other top QB’s they could have prevailed, but I agree with your conclusion.

9ers O-line was bullying the Chefs in the run game, but went away from it. Shanahan hasn’t trusted anyone other than McCaffrey. They should’ve rotated him and Mitchell more. Mitchell could’ve helped worn them out.

Their interior O-line, particularly the left G’s have been horrible in pass protection for years. Both Jimmy G and now Purdy are constantly throwing over a LG’s head. Every playoff game Purdy is mostly throwing off his back foot. Not enough designs to move the pocket. Pats did this in the 2003 Super Bowl against the Panthers to avoid Kris Jenkins.

They have a lot of money tied to to the DL and they were a no show at the end of the 4th Q and overtime. When will coaches stop the soft coverage when teams only need a field goal?

But to answer the question, Shanahan is safe.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back