PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Revis wants 20M per year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, for real? I didn't say they were heads and shoulders better, just slightly.
The Giants weren't better than the Pats in 07 were they?

Lesser teams get the best of better teams all the time.

twice.....?

Dude, for real? I didn't say they were heads and shoulders better, just slightly.

Lesser teams get the best of better teams all the time. Just like San Diego was better than the Jets last year.

One could argue that the Patriots with Brady only his second week back, lost to an inferior team in the Jets with that logic. And when things had stabilized game 2 was the result.

Lesser teams get the best of better teams all the time. Just like San Diego was better than the Jets last year.
That reminds me of a little tidbit. There was a side that played Australian rules football back in the early 2000's here called the Brisbane Lions. They have claims to being arguably the greatest side of all time. They won the premiership or the "Superbowl in 2001,2002,2003 and lost the Grand Final in 2004 to Port Adelaide. 4 Superbowls for 3 wins if you may. During that time the West Coast Eagles were an up and coming young side and during this period of dominance the Brisbane Lions simply could not beat West Coast. As a matter of fact West Coast used to destroy them. Think 5 touchdown victories if you may on average. Now West Coast did go on to play in the 2005 "Superbowl" and won it in 2006 but the fact remains that some teams simply match up well against other teams.

Funny things happen in sport. Replay SB42 and the Patriots win 90% of the time I'm certain of it. Best side all year doesn't mean best side on the day. That's what makes singular game final appearances so cut throat!

Last edited:
I thought this was a pretty good debate. Despite my profile picture, I'm not a troll but do appreciate the rivalry and the fun that comes with it. I randomly read this site to see rival fans opinions and there are a lot of good posters here like Deus, Kontradiction, Rob, etc.

Even though I am a Jets fan and will probably be viewed as being bias, Kontradiction was pretty much on point with everything he said. Asomugha always plays RCB. It is well documented that he stays to one side and only one side of the field, no matter where the best WR is. The biggest difference between Revis and Aso is Revis is always put in a position to challenge whoever is the best on the field while Aso sticks to generally the right side of the field, generally where the #2 WR resides. Why throw at Aso against your #2 when you can throw to your best WR against a far less capable CB? Not saying that is always the case, but I believe someone posted the stats of both top WRs Revis and Aso faced. To put it mildly, the WRs Aso faced put up some pretty sexy numbers. Am I saying Aso got abused? Obviously not because he was thrown at only 28 times so he didn't give up a majority of those catches. But 21 of those passes were completed and what good is being a top 2 CB in the NFL if your not preventing WRs from putting up monster numbers? They say you know a CB is having a good day if the announcer doesn't mention his name often. True but as an example, if I'm Aso and Santonio Holmes has 8 catches for 149 yards 1 TD, me as a competitor, I would want a crack at him.

Sure Aso is awesome and definitely is the 2nd best CB in the NFL. I post on TGG and I stated as much. One thing we know for a fact is Revis DID shut down his competition. Another fact that we do know is Asomugha has faced some pretty pathetic competition based on being limited either by the scheme or being complacent and not asking to shut down opposing elite WRs head on. The unanswered question is, can anyone here honestly guarantee he would of gotten the same or better results as Revis did? No. Not because it can't be done, but because Asomugha has never faced such a challenge and it is more of an unknown then anything. That's too bad because I feel like the Raiders are wasting a great player.

The reason why Revis has been thrown at so much this year is because of 2 reasons. 1 because he is covering the opposing teams best WR almost exclusively and a QB will naturally throw to their best WR. And 2 because our defense is built to funnel all passes to Revis' way. Our safeties do play 2 deep zone from time to time but they cheat and overload the coverage towards the opposite side of the field Revis is covering, hoping the QB throws to our best player. We WANT Revis to be thrown at whereas Aso on his defense is the best CB on his team with no scheming built around his ability. That is sad based on the level of talent he has but at the same time, like him or not, you have to give Rex credit for building his D around Revis and taking full advantage of his skill set.

On Revis' tackling, he has missed 5 tackles on over 1,000 defensive snaps according to profootballfocus. CBs that I'd say are physical, sure tacklers would be Antoine Winfield, Quentin Jammer, and Charles Woodson just to name a few. Revis missed 5 tackles on 47 solo tackles(MT 10.6%), Winfield missed 4 tackles on 48 solo tackles(MT 8.3%), Jammer missed 7 on 48 solo tackles(MT 14.5%), and Woodson missed 8 on 69 solo tackles(MT 11.5%). Antoine Winfield is probably the best tackling CB in the NFL but only missed one less tackle on similar solo tackle attempts while Woodson and Jammer missed a slightly higher %. Revis is awesome in run support, I have seen him take down Brandon Jacobs in the open field by himself. As I'm sure you all know Jacobs is a problem for a LB to take down by himself, let alone a CB. Not saying he laid him out but he is very strong(See Revis youtube video of tossing TO like a rag doll) and he took him out by his legs which showed textbook technique on his tackling form along with his smarts. Just for ****s and giggles, Asomugha missed 8 tackles on 31 solo attempts(MT 25.8%).

What is another, if not the most important, difference between the 2? Revis is VERY clutch and his big plays lead us to victories while Aso's play, fair or not, doesn't impact the outcome of many games. In his first postseason, Revis was absolutely incredible with shutting down whoever he faced and also finishing with 2 picks and countless deflections. Some may think Manning or Rivers weren't purposely avoiding Revis. Manning Had ZERO intentions of attacking Revis after he saw Revis was stuck on Waynes hip like glue. Do you think it was a coincidence that Revis was all the field covering whoever in against the Chargers and only got throw at 3 times? I think not. To me that's a big statement since Rivers is a man who openly admitted to going after Champ bailey, ending with mixed results. Obviously the Raiders are horrendous but Aso had a choice and could of gotten big money elsewhere. Instead he wanted to stay with the losing Raider organization over going to a winner. If you guys sucked ass does anyone here think a winner like Tom Brady would stay with the Patriots? I doubt it.

Debate all you want about who's better in coverage, who can tackle better, whos GF is hotter, but I'll take the guy who I know for a FACT will play his best on the most important plays, in the most important games anyday of the week over someone who is complacent, clearly by his actions of not demanding to cover the best WRs and staying with the Raiders organization, and who MIGHT be just as good or better. Give me the sure thing any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It was mentioned that Deion thinks hes going to be the best CB for years, heres an opinion from another HOF CB breaking down Darrelle's game, Rod Woodson.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d8183340e/On-Revis-Island

Last edited:
LOL, well if I lost credibility yours must be long gone as well.

Did you see Palmer play last year??? He was one of the weakest armed qb;s in the league.

Bradford are you serious? That guy is a spread qb.

Leinart??? That is equally hysterical

Hasselbeck is done at this point.

Of course these things can be argued to the cows come home but Palmer, Leinart, and Bradford, that is just silly.
Who do you think we are comparing to?
Hasselbeck isnt done because of arm strength if he is done, its because of injuries.
How does the fact that Oklahoma ran a spread offense have anything to do with Bradfords arm strength? Read his predraft reviews and compare them to Sanchez. You can do the same with Leinhart who has a very similar arm strength to Sanchez. Thats the point, you criticize his arm strength and that the level Sanchez is at.
There are other QBs on that list that have better arm strength as well so you fail to show Sanchez is even average without any need for debating the close ones.

I thought this was a pretty good debate. Despite my profile picture, I'm not a troll but do appreciate the rivalry and the fun that comes with it. I randomly read this site to see rival fans opinions and there are a lot of good posters here like Deus, Kontradiction, Rob, etc.

Even though I am a Jets fan and will probably be viewed as being bias, Kontradiction was pretty much on point with everything he said. Asomugha always plays RCB. It is well documented that he stays to one side and only one side of the field, no matter where the best WR is. The biggest difference between Revis and Aso is Revis is always put in a position to challenge whoever is the best on the field while Aso sticks to generally the right side of the field, generally where the #2 WR resides. Why throw at Aso against your #2 when you can throw to your best WR against a far less capable CB? Not saying that is always the case, but I believe someone posted the stats of both top WRs Revis and Aso faced. To put it mildly, the WRs Aso faced put up some pretty sexy numbers. Am I saying Aso got abused? Obviously not because he was thrown at only 28 times so he didn't give up a majority of those catches. But 21 of those passes were completed and what good is being a top 2 CB in the NFL if your not preventing WRs from putting up monster numbers? They say you know a CB is having a good day if the announcer doesn't mention his name often. True but as an example, if I'm Aso and Santonio Holmes has 8 catches for 149 yards 1 TD, me as a competitor, I would want a crack at him.

Sure Aso is awesome and definitely is the 2nd best CB in the NFL. I post on TGG and I stated as much. One thing we know for a fact is Revis DID shut down his competition. Another fact that we do know is Asomugha has faced some pretty pathetic competition based on being limited either by the scheme or being complacent and not asking to shut down opposing elite WRs head on. The unanswered question is, can anyone here honestly guarantee he would of gotten the same or better results as Revis did? No. Not because it can't be done, but because Asomugha has never faced such a challenge and it is more of an unknown then anything. That's too bad because I feel like the Raiders are wasting a great player.

The reason why Revis has been thrown at so much this year is because of 2 reasons. 1 because he is covering the opposing teams best WR almost exclusively and a QB will naturally throw to their best WR. And 2 because our defense is built to funnel all passes to Revis' way. Our safeties do play 2 deep zone from time to time but they cheat and overload the coverage towards the opposite side of the field Revis is covering, hoping the QB throws to our best player. We WANT Revis to be thrown at whereas Aso on his defense is the best CB on his team with no scheming built around his ability. That is sad based on the level of talent he has but at the same time, like him or not, you have to give Rex credit for building his D around Revis and taking full advantage of his skill set.

On Revis' tackling, he has missed 5 tackles on over 1,000 defensive snaps according to profootballfocus. CBs that I'd say are physical, sure tacklers would be Antoine Winfield, Quentin Jammer, and Charles Woodson just to name a few. Revis missed 5 tackles on 47 solo tackles(MT 10.6%), Winfield missed 4 tackles on 48 solo tackles(MT 8.3%), Jammer missed 7 on 48 solo tackles(MT 14.5%), and Woodson missed 8 on 69 solo tackles(MT 11.5%). Antoine Winfield is probably the best tackling CB in the NFL but only missed one less tackle on similar solo tackle attempts while Woodson and Jammer missed a slightly higher %. Revis is awesome in run support, I have seen him take down Brandon Jacobs in the open field by himself. As I'm sure you all know Jacobs is a problem for a LB to take down by himself, let alone a CB. Not saying he laid him out but he is very strong(See Revis youtube video of tossing TO like a rag doll) and he took him out by his legs which showed textbook technique on his tackling form along with his smarts. Just for ****s and giggles, Asomugha missed 8 tackles on 31 solo attempts(MT 25.8%).

What is another, if not the most important, difference between the 2? Revis is VERY clutch and his big plays lead us to victories while Aso's play, fair or not, doesn't impact the outcome of many games. In his first postseason, Revis was absolutely incredible with shutting down whoever he faced and also finishing with 2 picks and countless deflections. Some may think Manning or Rivers weren't purposely avoiding Revis. Manning Had ZERO intentions of attacking Revis after he saw Revis was stuck on Waynes hip like glue. Do you think it was a coincidence that Revis was all the field covering whoever in against the Chargers and only got throw at 3 times? I think not. To me that's a big statement since Rivers is a man who openly admitted to going after Champ bailey, ending with mixed results. Obviously the Raiders are horrendous but Aso had a choice and could of gotten big money elsewhere. Instead he wanted to stay with the losing Raider organization over going to a winner. If you guys sucked ass does anyone here think a winner like Tom Brady would stay with the Patriots? I doubt it.

Debate all you want about who's better in coverage, who can tackle better, whos GF is hotter, but I'll take the guy who I know for a FACT will play his best on the most important plays, in the most important games anyday of the week over someone who is complacent, clearly by his actions of not demanding to cover the best WRs and staying with the Raiders organization, and who MIGHT be just as good or better. Give me the sure thing any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It was mentioned that Deion thinks hes going to be the best CB for years, heres an opinion from another HOF CB breaking down Darrelle's game, Rod Woodson.

NFL Videos: On Revis Island
At least you prepared me to read that knowing you'd be biased from the outset.

Revis is good and Asomugha is good but the Patriots are better than both of them. Thank your mother for the rabbits ;).

Last edited:
Who do you think we are comparing to?
Hasselbeck isnt done because of arm strength if he is done, its because of injuries.
How does the fact that Oklahoma ran a spread offense have anything to do with Bradfords arm strength? Read his predraft reviews and compare them to Sanchez. You can do the same with Leinhart who has a very similar arm strength to Sanchez. Thats the point, you criticize his arm strength and that the level Sanchez is at.
There are other QBs on that list that have better arm strength as well so you fail to show Sanchez is even average without any need for debating the close ones.

Who cares what sanchezs predraft reviews say about arm strength, he proved it on the field last year. And you are still off on leinart and Bradford, especially leinart.

At least you prepared me to read that knowing you'd be biased from the outset.

No I said I will probably be VIEWED as being biased. I don't think I gave a bias opinion at all. IMO I had something concrete behind everything I said. What do you think I said that was bias?

No I said I will probably be VIEWED as being biased. I don't think I gave a bias opinion at all. IMO I had something concrete behind everything I said. What do you think I said that was bias?
Have a read of the entire opinion piece again and then ask yourself exactly at what point would someone construe this fluff piece as biased or non biased? Here's a starting point. Start with your point of Asomugha and the loser mentality over going elsewhere. I totally resent that comment. It's far easier to jump ship than show loyalty or commitment.. dollar signs or not.

Personally I think Revis is a super talent and a super player but you Jets fans are way to precious in trying to continually demonstrate just how awesome he actually is. For mine his 2009 season doesn't even compare to Bailey's 2006 season and that's just in the last 4 years. That's not to say it wasn't an impressive performance because it was.

There's no suggestion that Revis would be as good or better than Asomugha on the Raiders or vice versa. You simply cannot draw that string as a mode of comparison.

I don't blame Rex for scheming and building the defense toward Revis. As a matter of fact it's the incredibly intelligent thing and what I would do if I were Rex. You always try to play to your strengths.

I enjoyed your piece because it was well thought out despite the obvious Revis bias.

Last edited:
Who cares what sanchezs predraft reviews say about arm strength, he proved it on the field last year. And you are still off on leinart and Bradford, especially leinart.

Sanchez has one of the weakest arms of any starting QB in the AFC. Hell, even Fitzpatrick appeared to have a stronger arm than Sanchez did last year. Why do you think Sanchez has to put so much air underneath his long throws?

Sanchez has one of the weakest arms of any starting QB in the AFC. Hell, even Fitzpatrick appeared to have a stronger arm than Sanchez did last year. Why do you think Sanchez has to put so much air underneath his long throws?

He doesn't. Which is shown in the highlight I posted previously.

Re: OT: Revis wants 20M per year....

Come on, thats ridiculous. Better than Bailey ever was? Bailey is one of the best corners in NFL history. Revis played at an elite level for one season.

That one season of Revis's was better than any season Bailey has ever played. Bailey has clearly had the better career so far, and lots of corners have 1 great year, but Revis was that good last year.

Have a read of the entire opinion piece again and then ask yourself exactly at what point would someone construe this fluff piece as biased or non biased? Here's a starting point. Start with your point of Asomugha and the loser mentality over going elsewhere. I totally resent that comment. It's far easier to jump ship than show loyalty or commitment.. dollar signs or not.

Commitment to a deranged owner who single-handedly accomplished turning a premium franchise into the worst managed franchise in the NFL? So if you played for Raiders and you can take $13.5M instead of the $15M to go to a Super Bowl contender, you wouldn't? You also wouldn't mind watching the opposing teams best WR torch a player at your position even though you are regarded as the best or 2nd best in the entire league at it? I don't know I'm very competitive and if I'm playing a game and someone is picking on one my teammates and I know I can handle that player, my mentality would be to embarrass that player right back. Unfortunately Aso hasn't displayed that type of mentality.

Personally I think Revis is a super talent and a super player but you Jets fans are way to precious in trying to continually demonstrate just how awesome he actually is. For mine his 2009 season doesn't even compare to Bailey's 2006 season and that's just in the last 4 years. That's not to say it wasn't an impressive performance because it was.

I think your half/right half wrong on this one. I agree that Revis' best year may not be better then Champ Baileys best year(posted the same argument on TGG in the NFL forum). Thats because his best year was on the Redskins, I believe 2001, and he didn't allow a single TD all year and absolutely abused every single WR he faced in similar fashion to what Revis just did. Though I will note the Ty Law rules weren't enforced at the time. 2006 was his sexiest numbers but not his best year.

There's no suggestion that Revis would be as good or better than Asomugha on the Raiders or vice versa. You simply cannot draw that string as a mode of comparison.

I didn't want to go that route because no one can prove what both players would do in either situation. I'd rather stick to the facts.

I don't blame Rex for scheming and building the defense toward Revis. As a matter of fact it's the incredibly intelligent thing and what I would do if I were Rex. You always try to play to your strengths.

I enjoyed your piece because it was well thought out despite the obvious Revis bias.

happy you enjoyed it so I'll just break it down to the ridiculous.

shaun john 9294 said:

This is explained at the top.

shaun john 9294 said:

I don't see bias opinion here. Who covered who and what they did is what it is. I asked if anyone can guarantee if Aso would of gotten the same results as Revis and the obvious answer is no, which is not biased at all because really, nobody knows. Aso has never shadowed WRs to the extent Revis has. Again I like to work off facts.

shaun john 9294 said:

Again no bias opinion here as I'm just stating the system/scheme the Jets use versus the vanilla man to man scheme the Raiders use. It is what it is.

shaun john 9294 said:

Nothing but real numbers and facts. Asomugha missed 8 tackles on 31 solos while Revis is comparable to the best tackling CBs in the NFL. Those are facts. The Brandon Jacobs take down happened in the 3rd game last preseason. Same results as previously stated.

shaun john 9294 said:

Revis made the postseason and Aso didn't. What we do know for a FACT is Revis played outstanding in the playoffs. We also know that QBs avoided him. The Raiders missing the playoffs isn't Aso fault but we have never seen him in the playoffs before. I assume he would do well and play like he normally does but again, it hasn't done yet nor has he ever played in a meaningful game with some sort of pressure in his career. If he wanted to be on a playoff team he could of left but chose not too. That's a fact.

Last edited:
shaun john 9294 said:

This is an opinion that I made based on the facts above. Again I don't see how its a bias, fluff piece when I'm bringing up facts. Tom Brady was the best QB in the NFL for a majority of this decade. Anything written about his game would look like a fluff piece because he was a machine who had very few weaknesses while being known as the best at his position though with some controversy between him and Peyton. A majority of America, including myself, thought Brady was the best QB at the time. This is no different then Revis being THAT good a CB in terms of strengths and weaknesses along with showing up in big time games with some controversy between him and Aso. Just like the Brady/Manning comparisons at the time, a majority of America thinks Revis is the best CB right now.

He doesn't. Which is shown in the highlight I posted previously.

I can find a highlight of Chad Pennington a couple of years ago throwing a 40 yard TD pass to one of his RB's with a lot of air under it. That doesn't mean that he has a strong arm. Look at this for example...

YouTube - Braylon Edwards 80yd TD Vs the Colts - AFC Championship game

That's pretty much a 40 yard pass, but it has no zip on it. He basically just lofted it up there and got lucky that Edwards was ahead of the coverage. Sanchez's arm is weak and it's been one of the biggest knocks on him since college.

For the record, Bailey got thrown at a lot more that year than he normally did. He made a lot of picks, but thats because he saw the ball alot.

NOBODY throws at Asomugah. (Thats partly because the other CB sucks). And almost nobody throws at Revis.

Aso vs Revis is like Brady Vs Manning. They're both outstanding players on their teams, and standout playersin their position in the league. Although Brady has had much more success than manning, some people argue that that's because Brady was on a superior team. That said, I think similarly about Aso vs Revis, there's no denying the jets are better on defense than Oakland, no doubt at all. So obviously there's that to question. I think this is clearly a scenario where if you were creating your own franchise you'd be happy with either, it's like picking between SI swimsuit models, at the end of the day no matter who you pick it's gonna be a good choice.

Aso vs Revis is like Brady Vs Manning. They're both outstanding players on their teams, and standout playersin their position in the league. Although Brady has had much more success than manning, some people argue that that's because Brady was on a superior team. That said, I think similarly about Aso vs Revis, there's no denying the jets are better on defense than Oakland, no doubt at all. So obviously there's that to question. I think this is clearly a scenario where if you were creating your own franchise you'd be happy with either, it's like picking between SI swimsuit models, at the end of the day no matter who you pick it's gonna be a good choice.

This is an opinion that I made based on the facts above. Again I don't see how its a bias, fluff piece when I'm bringing up facts. Tom Brady was the best QB in the NFL for a majority of this decade. Anything written about his game would look like a fluff piece because he was a machine who had very few weaknesses while being known as the best at his position though with some controversy between him and Peyton. A majority of America, including myself, thought Brady was the best QB at the time. This is no different then Revis being THAT good a CB in terms of strengths and weaknesses along with showing up in big time games with some controversy between him and Aso. Just like the Brady/Manning comparisons at the time, a majority of America thinks Revis is the best CB right now.

As you can see I feel the exact same way haha....definitely the best comparison

Aso covers the right side of the field with little to no safety help. Revis shadows the #1 with safety help. It's strategical decision with arguments for both sides. The Raiders strategy permits #1's to rack up stats, while the Jets strategy permits others to rack up stats. The Raiders' LCB has sucked for a few years and it's almost impossible to tell how much factor Asomugha's talent vs. crappy LCB play has to do with opponent's refusing to throw at him, but it's clearly some combination of both.

You start to lose credibility when you call Asomugha "more of an unknown then anything." Asomugha did not just enter the league. He is not even close to being an "unknown" and he has absolutely proven himself.

Sorry but Asomugha is not "complacent", he's a player and he does what the coaches ask of him, period. How is that a KNOCK on a person? He's dominated #1 WRs throughout his career, no one trash talks him, he frustrates everyone, plays man all the time and is a humble kid just playing football. Look I'd take any of the two guys talent-wise, but I'd rather Aso's personality than the me-me-me ****iness of Revis'. How the hell can you call a guy complacent when he's competed at a high level for 3 years getting 30 balls thrown his way every year. That's LESS in 3 years than Revis in 1 year. If he were complacent, he'd get lazy and teams would start throwing at him.

Yes he plays predominantly RCB these days but let's stop pretending that he's covering only crap receivers. He has proven himself against top receivers throughout his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots