PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Philip Rivers retires

Doubtful this is a suck for luck situation. Rivers was good this past year, but not all world. The Indy defense seems legit, and too good to end up 2-14 like that old Colts team did. Chances are they attract a good QB, or at least a decent one who can replicate what they got in 2020.
The colts have more cap money than we do. They certainly could sign a QB for $25M and be competitive.

If Eli gets into the HoF while Rivers does not, then the system is broken.

I'm not saying that Rivers should get in - but the emphasis on team championships for a personal honor/award doesn't seem right. May as well tell Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson they can't get into the HoF because they never carried the Lions to a Super Bowl win.

Back to Rivers: the stat rankings are impressive, but that's always evolving due to the NFL's never-ending desire to keep casual fans interested with high scoring games. For example: Vinny Testaverde once ranked 6th all time in passing yards, and Kerry Collins has more career passing yards than Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas or Jim Kelly. Rivers ranks 5th all-time in touchdown passes - but led the league just once, and was only in the top-five five times. While it is true that his legacy had the misfortune of playing at the same time as TB12 and Peyton, to me I want a more dominant player in comparison to his peers in order to get into The Hall.

I have a lot of respect for Philip Rivers, his body of work as an NFL QB, how he's conducted his career, and how he lives his faith as a fellow Catholic.

Congrats on a long and productive career, Philip... God bless you, enjoy your family and whatever comes next in your life.

The fact that ne never made it to the Superbowl means he'll never be considered elite.

I'm not saying that Rivers should get in - but the emphasis on team championships for a personal honor/award doesn't seem right. May as well tell Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson they can't get into the HoF because they never carried the Lions to a Super Bowl win.

Back to Rivers: the stat rankings are impressive, but that's always evolving due to the NFL's never-ending desire to keep casual fans interested with high scoring games. For example: Vinny Testaverde once ranked 6th all time in passing yards, and Kerry Collins has more career passing yards than Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas or Jim Kelly. Rivers ranks 5th all-time in touchdown passes - but led the league just once, and was only in the top-five five times. While it is true that his legacy had the misfortune of playing at the same time as TB12 and Peyton, to me I want a more dominant player in comparison to his peers in order to get into The Hall.
No it's not. People need to actually pay attention to the HOF to understand what voters priorities. I'll give you an example.

Troy Aikman had zero all pros, zero MVP's, and never the league in a single stat. He had 3 SB's to his resume. He walked in first ballot. Only one QB in NFL history got two SB's as a starter and didn't get it. That was Jim Plunkett. Plunkett retired with a 164TD-198INT ratio and a 67 passer rating to accomplish that feat.

They heavily way SB's, MVP's and All Pros and weigh SB's the most for QB's. A big reason why is that stats are super inflated for passing and receiving. Receivers have a bigger problem and a backlog simply because they have the same stat inflation issue that QB's have but don't get credit for rings the way QB's do.

Calvin Johnson will have a harder time because of that. In fact, I would say he's probably in that Sterling Sharpe category where his longevity will likely keep him out or waiting a long time. Chris Carter finished like top 2 or 3 in all major receiving stats and they had him on quite a bit of a wait. Barry Sanders didn't have that problem because rushing stats are relatively stagnant and the HOF knows this and it's almost like the MLB where if you hit certain numbers you are pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Here's the issue. While Rivers was "better" than Eli overall, the stat gap isn't huge. Eli finished 3 spots below rivers all time in yards and 4 spots behind Rivers in TD's. And yes Eli had a much bigger efficiency and interception issue, but the fact is that Eli is in the ballpark on the big volume stats where his two rings are likely going to push him over the top. I don't want Eli to get in, but I understand why Eli would get in. He's not better than Rivers, but he has a better case than Rivers. Also a very underlooked issue people ignore with Rivers is that aside from the game this year, Rivers has typically played like absolute garbage in games where he was eliminated. Take 2006, he had the best team in the league, he was the favorite vs the Patriots. People always point to the Marlon McCree play to say he got screwed. People ignore that Rivers had a 43% completion rating, threw for 0TD's, 1INT, and had a 55 passer rating in what was probably the worst game of the year for him. By comparison, Eli won a ring in 2011 having an amazing playoff run for a QB. So in that case you can say Eli has two rings because in one instance he elevated a mediocre team via really strong play and Rivers has 0 rings because he **** the bed with the strongest team in the league.

The fact that ne never made it to the Superbowl means he'll never be considered elite.
I wouldn’t call him elite but he was blocked by playing in an era full of really good to great QBs.

Kinda surprised besides being disappointed...I thought he had at least one more competitive season left in him...and now the cost of acquiring QBs just went up a notch, or more...

No it's not. People need to actually pay attention to the HOF to understand what voters priorities. I'll give you an example.

Troy Aikman had zero all pros, zero MVP's, and never the league in a single stat. He had 3 SB's to his resume. He walked in first ballot. Only one QB in NFL history got two SB's as a starter and didn't get it. That was Jim Plunkett. Plunkett retired with a 164TD-198INT ratio and a 67 passer rating to accomplish that feat.

They heavily way SB's, MVP's and All Pros and weigh SB's the most for QB's. A big reason why is that stats are super inflated for passing and receiving. Receivers have a bigger problem and a backlog simply because they have the same stat inflation issue that QB's have but don't get credit for rings the way QB's do.

Calvin Johnson will have a harder time because of that. In fact, I would say he's probably in that Sterling Sharpe category where his longevity will likely keep him out or waiting a long time. Chris Carter finished like top 2 or 3 in all major receiving stats and they had him on quite a bit of a wait. Barry Sanders didn't have that problem because rushing stats are relatively stagnant and the HOF knows this and it's almost like the MLB where if you hit certain numbers you are pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Here's the issue. While Rivers was "better" than Eli overall, the stat gap isn't huge. Eli finished 3 spots below rivers all time in yards and 4 spots behind Rivers in TD's. And yes Eli had a much bigger efficiency and interception issue, but the fact is that Eli is in the ballpark on the big volume stats where his two rings are likely going to push him over the top. I don't want Eli to get in, but I understand why Eli would get in. He's not better than Rivers, but he has a better case than Rivers. Also a very underlooked issue people ignore with Rivers is that aside from the game this year, Rivers has typically played like absolute garbage in games where he was eliminated. Take 2006, he had the best team in the league, he was the favorite vs the Patriots. People always point to the Marlon McCree play to say he got screwed. People ignore that Rivers had a 43% completion rating, threw for 0TD's, 1INT, and had a 55 passer rating in what was probably the worst game of the year for him. By comparison, Eli won a ring in 2011 having an amazing playoff run for a QB. So in that case you can say Eli has two rings because in one instance he elevated a mediocre team via really strong play and Rivers has 0 rings because he **** the bed with the strongest team in the league.

To add, I think Namath is in too, despite terrible stats even factoring for pre-passing-inflation. The ring and fame help during voting.

He will struggle. No QB in NFL history got in without atleast one of

-SB win

- MVP

-All Pro

Most have multiple items on that list. Rivers has none of those. That’s going to ultimately be a huge barricade an era that’s as stacked with QB’s. Eli is going to be eligible right before Rivers, Brees will be eligible the same year, Ben most likely will be, then Brady a couple years after that imo. Then by the time they are done guys like Ryan will be in the pipeline
You make a good point. Donovan McNabb faces a similar hurdle, though he did take his team to the SB. I think it's unlikely that either goes in, at least in the years when the Mannings, Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers are in the pipeline, even if they make Ben wait a year or two because of his off-field issues and Eli because his overall record doesn't match his two SB runs. After them, Ryan will have a stronger case with an MVP and trip to the SB under his belt.

I guess that why it's called the Hall of "Fame" and not the Hall of "Really Good Players."

I don’t think both should get in. I think rivers need to do more and i feel he could have done more in the playoffs. Chargers had some teams that could have made a super bowl run.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back