PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Philip Rivers retires

I was thinking about Rivers' HOF chances the other week and he is probably in. He's currently 5th all time in passing yards and passing TDs with 8 pro bowls. He's been very durable and has a postseason "moment" where he played the 07 AFCCG with a torn ACL. I was surprised, though, that the most TD passes he had in a season was 34. He never had a season where he threw for 40+ TDs or was regarded as the best QB in the league. The one year where the Chargers were the best team in the league (or at least the AFC), they lost their first playoff game. He'll get inducted in the Hall of Fame, but it will be due to being very good for a long period of time, which is an accomplishment.
He will struggle. No QB in NFL history got in without atleast one of

-SB win

- MVP

-All Pro

Most have multiple items on that list. Rivers has none of those. That’s going to ultimately be a huge barricade an era that’s as stacked with QB’s. Eli is going to be eligible right before Rivers, Brees will be eligible the same year, Ben most likely will be, then Brady a couple years after that imo. Then by the time they are done guys like Ryan will be in the pipeline

He carved out a pretty good career. I really liked watching him play. Don't think he's HOF material though, unless the NFL HOF of fame gets to the point like baseball where guys like Harold Baines get in

Rivers will eventually get in. There will be other no-ring QBs behind him that fan bases fight for HOF inclusion and Rivers numbers and career will be better than them. It won't be first ballot but he'll eventually make it.

The 9 kids is impressive. I wonder if he can keep track of all their names.

He played the 2007 AFC Championship game without the benefit of an ACL. Even BB mentioned his toughness after that.

Numbers alone will get him in the HOF, his playoff loses were almost all to Brady or Manning.

Rivers will eventually get in. There will be other no-ring QBs behind him that fan bases fight for HOF inclusion and Rivers numbers and career will be better than them. It won't be first ballot but he'll eventually make it.

FITZ is right behind him with 8 and he is younger I believe.
With Rivers retiring Mac Jones stock continues to rise.

either way, I always liked watching him play - he played with fire and attitude and guts - call me old school, but I'll always have a soft spot for a gunslinger, and he was a bit of a throwback - he had a good bit of the 1980's in his gameplay

Colts were heading into the season with a good amount of cap space ($65 mil), but no quarterbacks. Rivers and Brissett - who took up a combined $46 mil of cap space - were their 1st and 3rd largest cap charges in 2020.

Unfortunately for the Patriots this means there is one more team looking to sign a QB, unless this is Suck for Luck: The Sequel.

Doubtful this is a suck for luck situation. Rivers was good this past year, but not all world. The Indy defense seems legit, and too good to end up 2-14 like that old Colts team did. Chances are they attract a good QB, or at least a decent one who can replicate what they got in 2020.

He carved out a pretty good career. I really liked watching him play. Don't think he's HOF material though, unless the NFL HOF of fame gets to the point like baseball where guys like Harold Baines get in
If Rivers gets in then Ryan is a lock and if two ring less QB’s get in, then you have to talk about Flacco and even Cam who has an MVP and is going to end extremely high in QB rushing stats.

It’s a slippery slope. Bledsoe, like Rivers, retired top 10 in yards and TD’s. Unlike Rivers he has an All Pro and a SB appearance.

Rivers is the type of person a 5 year wait is made for. In 5 years a bunch of guys will pass him in all time lists and he’ll look less impressive. One of those guys will be Ryan who will have an MVP, All Pro, Nd SB appearance to his name

Looks like brady going to outlast all of them.

Wouldn't be surprised if Brees, Big Ben are next. Cam newton maybe forced into retirement if no one wants him

Oof. Guy had a great career, good for him. We really picked a bad time to need a QB, eh? All these teams in need of a long-term heir.
Pittsburgh, Dallas, Indy, Philly, Det, Atl, Jax, NYJ, Panthers, SF, CHI, Den, Nawlins, Wash, Minn, ATL. We can argue the importance of each of them needing a QB, but at the end of the day, none of these teams would be a surprise to make an aggressive push for a QB in FA or the draft.

17 seasons with 16 of those with the Bolts

Solid qb for sure

But infortunately for him not a good success in the post season

Anyway respect...he had a good run for sure

Take care Phillip all the best

Oof. Guy had a great career, good for him. We really picked a bad time to need a QB, eh? All these teams in need of a long-term heir.
Pittsburgh, Dallas, Indy, Philly, Det, Atl, Jax, NYJ, Panthers, SF, CHI, Den, Nawlins, Wash, Minn, ATL. We can argue the importance of each of them needing a QB, but at the end of the day, none of these teams would be a surprise to make an aggressive push for a QB in FA or the draft.
True but how many of those teams are looking for a half decent veteran QB willing to play for $1M / yr? That's our sweet spot.

Solid competitor, underrated IMO. Not HoF, but close.

Hopefully I can write about Rivers as a football player only- and his production - without the fluff and fanfare about respect, personal dedication, longevity, etc. It kind of sucks how these things get blended so much.

He was the type of guy you absolutely fear chaining your franchise to. Good enough to make you competitive, good enough to sometimes overlap with elite quarterbacks through stretches, make the pro bowl, etc. but not good enough to give your team a reasonable chance to win a championship. Not good enough to make players around him better.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back