PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Peyton Manning out 4-6 weeks after knee surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure of that. If the Colts were smart enough to have the surgery at the appropriate time, why didn't they put Manning under the knife six weeks ago so he wouldn't miss a day of training camp? According to the Colts, this has been a problem since February.

I listened to Lex and Terry this morning and they absolutely raked him (as well as Favre) over the coals for this one. Basically saying, "these veterans will think of anything to miss training camp" and, "I guess this couldn't have taken place at the end of the season huh? (sarcastically)". Lex even said he became less of a fan of his because of the stunt. They even trashed him for doing all of those commercials.

That was my first thought (why wait till now for the surgery) as well, but apparently the team and Manning had agreed back in February that the best course of action was medication rather than surgery.

Polian said Manning had been receiving "conservative treatment'' for an inflamed bursa in his left knee from team physicians since February. The treatment was considered productive until Manning began experiencing increased pain and early signs of infection, according to Polian.

As far as the first game of the season against the Bears, I can't imagine the Colts not winning even with Sorgi at QB. If the rehab lasts longer than expected though, that could open the door for Jacksonville to win the AFC South.

On a side note, though I can't believe I am saying this, I do wish a speedy recovery for Manning. Playing a Colts team with Sorgi at QB is a no-win situation. The Pats win, and it's 'so what, the Colts were without Manning' and if the Colts keep it close (or somehow win!) then it's 'what's the matter with the pats?" A victory over a rival is 100 times as sweet when they are at full strength than when they are without their best player, which leaves an excuse for that rival and a never-ending "what if" question in the minds of many.

... and cue the Favre to Indianapolis rumors in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

... and cue the Favre to Indianapolis rumors in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

He wouldn't fit in quite as well with their offense. IMO, Tampa Bay is the best suitor for a quarterback like Favre.

bad news for colty fans, out the month before the season starts. He probably will be back for the opener but they better hope he isnt rusty and can find his rythm fast cuz a couple losses early in the season for the colts could be a death sentence for them with their tough schedule this year.

Remember all the discussion in 2006 about Brady not having enough reps with newbies Bug Eyes Caldwell and others when He-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named abrogated his contract? Events showed that Tommy Boy's rapport with the Wrs improved later in the season but it never reached 'winning playoff quality'. In this case, Big Forehead does have previous experience with his wideouts. But missing most of camp hurts. Time will tell.

Re: OT: Peyton Manning Has Knee Surgery

Sorry to hear that; I prefer to live in a dreamworld where MVP-type quarterbacks remain injury-free and play forever, ya know?

(BTW, bursitis of the knee, or "housemaid's knee," is typically caused by repetitive kneeling. This is just one more important reason why QBs should not take a knee over and over, but always run up the score. ;))

Great post:rofl: "Housemaid's knee" just sorta fits, doesn't it ;) But what you said is true- it could be any QB and God forbid it's ever ours:scared:

In this case, Big Forehead does have previous experience with his wideouts. But missing most of camp hurts. Time will tell.

His world-famous workout regimen should be able to keep him in tip-top shape even with a bad knee.

2512374084_5cbd40b62f.jpg

It will be hard to keep Peyton off the field, and anyone who thinks he isn't the same kind of whack job like Brady who actually loves TC is delusional.

Excactly... Peyton is not the type of guy who skips TC, just like Brady.

As far as I have heard/read, (I didn't know about this surgery until this morning when I went online - and I almost died :(), his bursa sac hasn't been infected until now. He's gotten medical treatment up until this surgery.

I know how bad having pressure in your sac can feel. A simple massage to the area can really relieve the pressure.

He should be ready by the season starts. Are you Colts fans sure he's not faking this just to skip training camp? JK. Looking foward to more head to head battles vs the Colts.

How many games will Colt lose without Manning in the first 4 weeks?

How many games will Colt loose without Manning in the first 4 weeks?

give me a number, lady and gentlement. I say 2.

Last edited:
Re: How many games will Colt loose without Manning in the first 4 weeks?

why would they be without Manning for the first 4 weeks? They said he should be out about a month that will make him miss the training camp/preseason stuff. I think he will be back for the season opener.

But he may be a bit rusty, out of rythm early on, i could see Minnesota in week 2 and Jacksonville in week 3 beating them is Manning is out of sync. If they lose 2 games early in the season there a good chance they miss the playoffs cuz they got a tough schedule this year...

I know how bad having pressure in your sac can feel. A simple massage to the area can really relieve the pressure.

And ere I was all these years thinking Manning didn't have a sac.

Well, now I guess it will be true.

Any updates on Harrison's legal status, or are they still "investigating" the attempted murder incident?

Re: How many games will Colt loose without Manning in the first 4 weeks?

The report was 'four to six weeks' (from now - not first four to six weeks of the season) which would Manning would be back in time for the opener September 7th. However, if Manning is not ready or still visibly less than 100%, rusty, etc., then here is what I would predict.

Week 1, vs Chicago: even with Sorgi at QB, the Colts win.
Week 2, at Minn.: Viking defense could be a problem for a gimpy QB, but slight edge to the Colts w/Manning; Vikings win if it's Sorgi at QB.
Week 3 vs Jacksonville: same as above.
Week 4: Colts have a bye.

Week 5 is October 5th, I cannot envision Manning not playing and being back to 100%. The key for the Colts is not the first couple of games, but November, when they play the Pats, Steelers, Texans, Chargers and Browns.

Re: How many games will Colt lose without Manning in the first 4 weeks?

How many games will Colt loose without Manning in the first 4 weeks?

give me a number, lady and gentlement. I say 2.

It's been said multiple times he will be ready for the opener. Is stupidity common on these boards? Read.

Re: How many games will Colt lose without Manning in the first 4 weeks?

It's been said multiple times he will be ready for the opener. Is stupidity common on these boards? Read.

Pretend you're not a common troll and accept that it's possible he'll miss time, either because the team is lying about his recovery time, or because of a setback, or because his forehead has grown even more and new helmets need to be specially made for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes