PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Peyton Manning out 4-6 weeks after knee surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got no problem with teams playing loose with the injury report, since I think the injury report is actually dangerous to players rehabbing injuries. I do have a problem with people acting as if the Colts don't do it, though.

They totally do it. They took a page right out of the Patriots how to book when it comes to the injury report. That said, I don't think they were being shady in the Marvin situation. There really wasn't anything to gain. It's not going to hurt a team to practice like Marvin is going to play and then facing Anthony Gonzalez.

Last edited:
They totally do it. They took a page right out of the Patriots how to book when it comes to the injury report. That said, I don't think they were being shady in the Marvin situation. There really wasn't anything to gain. It's not going to hurt a team to practice like Marvin is going to play and then facing Anthony Gonzalez.

You honestly don't think teams will scheme differently for Harrison/Wayne as opposed to Wayne/Gonzalez?

So you would play the same defensive scheme against Wayne/Marvin/Gonzalez/Clark as you would against Wayne/Crap/Gonzalez/Clark? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

So describe a situation where a player was questionable on Wednesday, stayed questionable throughout the week and didn't play on Sunday. Now replay that situation every week for 2 months and tell me it doesn't point to the Colts either being morons or liars. By the way, giving an accurate injury report is a rule. Purposefully violating a rule with the intent of gaining a competitive advantage is cheating. I think I heard that somewhere.

As for Brady, I've explained this a million times but will give it another go.
  • Belichick hates the injury reporting rule.
  • Belichick got his hand slapped for taking liberties with the injury list.
  • Belichick put guidelines in place about how people get listed on the injury report...including that if you get touched by a trainer (hopefully in a professional way), you get listed.
  • Brady gets his throwing shoulder treated/iced/wrapped by the training staff after every practice, so he gets listed.
  • Since there is no doubt he is going to play (meaning no deception), he is "probable".
  • The league knows Belichick is really just screwing with the injury report, but since he has a reasonable procedure for listing players, they can't do anything about it.

Your ability to give an equally plausible explanation for Marvin being "questionable" for half a season? Doubtful.

Marvin was in a situation that structurally he was in no risk of doing damage. It was a question of pain and irritation. He would rehab and run/ride the bike during the week but wouldn't practice or cut on it (torque it). They would then evaluate on Saturday and/or on Sunday before the game to see if he could go. So, he was questionable every week.

You honestly don't think teams will scheme differently for Harrison/Wayne as opposed to Wayne/Gonzalez?

They do. Teams probably play a lot more of their typical base defense when Harrison is not in the line up.

Marvin was in a situation that structurally he was in no risk of doing damage. It was a question of pain and irritation. He would rehab and run/ride the bike during the week but wouldn't practice or cut on it (torque it). They would then evaluate on Saturday and/or on Sunday before the game to see if he could go. So, he was questionable every week.

You are describing the definition of "doubtful". That would still give him a 25% chance of playing, but available evidence at the time indicated that there was a better chance (75%) of him not playing. They had enough weeks of seeing this play out to have a pretty good feeling that the next week would likely play out the same.

Your description makes sense for 1 or 2 weeks. It gets rather silly after that point. Keeping Marvin questionable was done to force the opposing team to practice as if Marvin were going to play.

even with Sorgi at QB, the Colts win.

Did you see the week 17 game last year? The words "Sorgi" and "Colts win" really shouldn't be used together with any amount of confidence.

I probably should have selected my words more carefully and said, "the Bears lose" rather than "the Colts win." My reasoning for that prediction was that the Colts defense would score more points and set up more field goals off turnovers than the Bears defense would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back