PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2021 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

2005 was the last gasp of much of the old guard on defense. Just a mediocre team by Patriots standards.

2006 Belichick completely botched the receiver position. Huge mark against him and likely cost us the Super Bowl

2007 was an act of God to keep us humble or something.

2009 was a dysfunctional mess with a crap roster

2010 and 2011 were a team in transition that over achieved because Brady played out of his mind. And if Gronk isn’t hurt in the AFCCG we win the Super Bowl. Also Belichick had no reason to think McCourty would go from Pro Bowl corner to the worst in the league. Also couldn’t have expected Lee Bodden to be a disgruntled mess in training camp.

2012 was lost because of three awful fluke injuries. One was of course Gronk breaking his arm, another was Danny Woodhead getting hurt, and the last was Talib in the AFCCG. If Gronk and Talib are healthy in that AFCCG we win, I have zero doubt. And we beat the 49ers.

2013 was just a bad year due to Aaron Hernandez completely screwing up the offensive plans and of course Gronk getting hurt again. Also no one was beating the Seahawks

2015 was another absolutely catastrophic injury mess. We had zero healthy running backs besides James White and the corpse of Stephen Jackson. Belichick threw away the game against Miami which cost us home field in the AFCCG but I don’t see us beating the Panthers, Cam when he was in MVP form just owned out defense and I don’t see a broken foot Edelman and no running game out scoring them.

2017 Belichick cost us a Super Bow zero disagreements. Black mark on his career. But we also had Hightower and Jonathan Jones out with injuries that game as well. That would have made a difference

2019 Everyone was unhappy and the defense were overrated

So by my count I place blame for not winning a super bowl on Belichick for 2006 and 2017. The rest were largely the injury bug. It happens.

Also Belichick had no reason to think McCourty would go from Pro Bowl corner to the worst in the league.
I disagree. I took a lot of **** around here for talking about that McCourty pick and his hips. But, while I took **** for it, and a lot of people here didn't see the problem, I have reason to think that Bill Belichick is generally more capable than we laymen of seeing such flaws. So he gets no pass on McCourty's play, in my book.

I disagree. I took a lot of **** around here for talking about that McCourty pick and his hips. But, while I took **** for it, and a lot of people here didn't see the problem, I have reason to think that Bill Belichick is generally more capable than we laymen of seeing such flaws. So he gets no pass on McCourty's play, in my book.

Here's me mentioning the hips in 2010, for those who either don't remember or don't believe:

What We've Learned: Devin McCourty

That thread is a hoot for showing some of the honks of the era, and just how ridiculous the honks were even back then.

Here's me mentioning the hips in 2010, for those who either don't remember or don't believe:

That thread is a hoot for showing some of the honks of the era, and just how ridiculous the honks were even back then.

Hilarious stuff. 10 years later, PFK is still a homer posing as an expert, Kasmir has gone into hiding after chest thumping about Brady’s limitations, and Andy is still a argumentative d-bag. All of them attacking based on a rather benign comment/concern.

Those old threads are great. I’m constantly reminded that everyone’s a genius in a bull market. Nowadays, it’s laughable to see how far off some of these guys are when they don’t have the ultimate Knight to save a season and allow them to claim they were right merely because the team won in the end.

They have the deepest WR corp in quite some time. Not sure when's the last time we've seen this depth. They could go 5 wide easily scoot down the field in 15 seconds. Evans, Brown, Godwin, Miller, Johnson, Watson ...

This was on a rope. Still has that fastball.

Hilarious stuff. 10 years later, PFK is still a homer posing as an expert, Kasmir has gone into hiding after chest thumping about Brady’s limitations, and Andy is still a argumentative d-bag. All of them attacking based on a rather benign comment/concern.

Those old threads are great. I’m constantly reminded that everyone’s a genius in a bull market. Nowadays, it’s laughable to see how far off some of these guys are when they don’t have the ultimate Knight to save a season and allow them to claim they were right merely because the team won in the end.
You inspired me to take another brief trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten this label:

the White Knights of the Order of the Insane Homer Posse

***** Official Deus Irae 9/7/2014 game observations (and more) thread *****

so thanks for getting me back to that.
rofl.gif

And there was a lot of other fun in that thread, too.

They have the deepest WR corp in quite some time. Not sure when's the last time we've seen this depth. They could go 5 wide easily scoot down the field in 15 seconds. Evans, Brown, Godwin, Miller, Johnson, Watson ...

This was on a rope. Still has that fastball.

It's obviously early, and hype is king in every NFL city right now. But, if the Bucs get have gotten it right with Darden and Tryon, and Hainsey shows out as even a good backup OT, this Bucs team is going to be absolutely loaded everywhere but corner (ok, the RBs may still be a bit iffy in terms of high level talent v. depth).

I wasn’t a registered member on this forums yet but I absolutely recall a contingent of posters advocating that the Pats trade Brady and roll with Cassell after 2008.

It's obviously early, and hype is king in every NFL city right now. But, if the Bucs get have gotten it right with Darden and Tryon, and Hainsey shows out as even a good backup OT, this Bucs team is going to be absolutely loaded everywhere but corner (ok, the RBs may still be a bit iffy in terms of high level talent v. depth).
Their corners are decent right ? Maybe like middle of the pack?

Yup they brought back the entire squad. Had a nice draft (I had a 4th on JD, 3rd on Hainsey & Tryon, like Britt & Stuard's value late) Panthers are depending on Sam, Saints Winston & Falcons are the Falcons. Run it back.

They've got talent, and they are young enough to grow. But they don't have a top end player (as of last year) there (Dean is their best, and has room to improve, but he's maxed out as a borderline 2nd/3rd tier CB so far, imo), and it's their most vulnerable spot unless either Brady or Vea goes down.

I wasn’t a registered member on this forums yet but I absolutely recall a contingent of posters advocating that the Pats trade Brady and roll with Cassell after 2008.
And God bless you for having me bring that thread back up. Re-reading it now is an absolute treat.

Well that was a gem.

Side note, remember when Ring argued that he wasn't Andy. Haha

His post and the same post being replied to.

Screenshots_2021-08-07-23-43-08.png

Screenshots_2021-08-07-23-43-29.png

And God bless you for having me bring that thread back up. Re-reading it now is an absolute treat.

Cool part is the explanation of your name. Now I want to get the book. Haha

Middle of the pack is good way to describe them. Their all young guys for the most part. Davis, Dean, Murphy-Bunting, Whitehead, Winny, Edwards. Dean and Edwards were probably their best defenders not named Vea, David & Barrett. White really came on in the end but they were very good all year. They have three really good Saf in Winny, Edwards & Whitehead. Best part of their secondary imo.

By the way, your memory is incredible. I can't remember what I said in a thread last week let alone eleven years ago.

One more comment about this:

If that thread wasn't locked, and it could be necro'd, the number of crow posts that people could bring back might break an internet record. I mean....

with a year in the system, o'connell will be an improvement over cassel

is like pre-first-level silliness in that thread. As ridiculous as that take was, it barely moves the needle.

I was thinking the same thing. Licht has been drafting out of his mind the last several years. If he has hit on this draft with the amount of talent the Bucs brought back, watch out.

Cool part is the explanation of your name. Now I want to get the book. Haha
If you end up reading it, please let give us a review.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back