PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably the most telling quote from Arians after the game on where the Bucs stand this year:

“I can honestly say had this been last year, we would have gotten our ass beat by 20.”
—Tampa Bay coach Bruce Arians, praising Tom Brady for the Bucs erasing a 24-7 deficit Sunday to beat the Chargers.
But Bill Lee says, "Meh."
LOL at using Bruce Arians to provide an unbiased take.

Mike Evans might be the most complete receiver in Brady's career. The guy can pretty much run every route; it's hard to believe he is a really big guy at 6'5", 230 lbs because he is really quick and accelerates fast too. I hadn't heard that much about him other than that he's a stud receiver playing for a crappy team, so I looked into his background more to try to get context.

A few compares/contrasts.

Randy Moss is 6'4", though I'll bet everyone would guess, if they didn't know, that he is taller than Evans. He weighed about 210 so very different body types. Moss had that spectacular catch radius with his long arms and other worldly hands; he wasn't much of a thread on short passes (at least after his first few seasons). Moss is probably the best overall wide receiver I've ever seen due to his GOAT deep pass ability, but just a physical comparison.

Josh Gordon is the closest recent Patriots comp at 6'3", 225 lbs.

Brady's past tight ends have been closer in size to Evans than his receivers. Ben Watson was 6'3", 250 lbs; Aaron Hernandez was 6'2, 245 lbs; when Rob Gronkowski lost weight after retiring and had a very "slimmed down" look, he was at about 6'6", 240 lbs.

---

Calvin Johnson was perceived to be an absolute freak of nature, and he was; you would typically hear draft pundits marvel about him and see stuff about him on Sports Science. His size and measurables were incredibly high, whereas with Evans you don't tend to hear a lot about his ridiculous measurements. Here are is how the two stack up:

How Evans physically compares to Megatron

Height

Evans -6'5"
Megatron - 6'5"

Weight
Megatron - 237 lbs
Evans - 231 lbs

Wingspan
Evans - 35 1/8"
Megatron - 33 3/8"

Hand Size
Evans - 9 5/8"
Megatron - 9 1/4"

In terms of athletic ability coming out of college, Megatron had some legendary numbers at the combine including a 4.38 forty time versus Evans at 4.53. He also had some other ridiculous numbers for broad jump, etc. at his pro day, though not officially measured at combine.

Pats absolutely are better off this year with Cam compared to 2019 Brady. Without a doubt.

to be honest, if Cam had the line and the running game Brady had last year, I don’t think the result would have been much different.

Plus as we know now, the QB was disgruntled. I doubt his attitude would be any better this year.

Decent chance we'd be sitting at 0-3 right now to be honest.

that’s completely ridiculous. The record would be exactly the same. Brady would have scored 21 points against this Miami team and Cam was a complete non factor in the raiders game. Brady would have also won both games.

to be honest, if Cam had the line and the running game Brady had last year, I don’t think the result would have been much different.

Probably not, but that's because that offense was designed for Brady. Now it's designed for Cam's strengths.

Obviously he wasn't healthy last year either.

Pick sixes aside, he's been dropping dimes this year. Hitting WR in stride on deep passes and fitting the ball into tight windows, he's still got it. There's still growing pains on a completely new system with guys he's only played 4 games with, but I dont think it's unrealistic to say he'll have 20 touchdowns by the halfway point and 35 by seasons end. Pretty damn good for a 43 year old.

He has 11 TDs in 4 games.

He is on pace 44.

Though he might miss the last one for obvious reasons :rofl:

that’s completely ridiculous. The record would be exactly the same. Brady would have scored 21 points against this Miami team and Cam was a complete non factor in the raiders game. Brady would have also won both games.

I look at 12-4 last year and I have a hard time finding one win where a JAG QB instead of Brady probably wouldn't have won where Brady did. Maybe the Bills game last December? Then who says any JAG QB doesn't play better than Brady did in week 17 and the wild card round?

And then this year with an offense still designed for Brady with no upgrades at receiver, TE's he didn't trust and an afterthought as a running game - I don't see the improvement at all. Not to mention he was disgruntled and wanted out and it was clear as day.

I look at 12-4 last year and I have a hard time finding one win where a JAG QB instead of Brady probably wouldn't have won where Brady did. Maybe the Bills game last December? Then who says any JAG QB doesn't play better than Brady did in week 17 and the wild card round?

And then this year with an offense still designed for Brady with no upgrades at receiver, TE's he didn't trust and an afterthought as a running game - I don't see the improvement at all. Not to mention he was disgruntled and wanted out and it was clear as day.

and yet after three games, the offense produce pretty much the same as last year but in a different way. It looks different so everyone think it equals with better, but I don’t. I think the overall offensive production will be pretty much the same as last year.

Billy lee and SB1 are the worst

Anyways teams are probably scared right now of Tampa at full strength. Brady is already clicking with Evans and was with Godwin there hard enough to stop. Now add in Miller who nobody saw coming but has been amazing with Brady and add in Gronk who will look better as Brady has missed him open a few times. On defense there front seven is amazing and you have no chance running on them there a true contender

and yet after three games, the offense produce pretty much the same as last year but in a different way. It looks different so everyone think it equals with better, but I don’t. I think the overall offensive production will be pretty much the same as last year.

So far the offense is in my opinion the best rush offense in the league (at least when Cam is starting), and is average passing. It should not be compared to the Brady offense because it is apples and oranges.

They haven't played a great defense yet though so we'll see what happens then.

So far the offense is in my opinion the best rush offense in the league (at least when Cam is starting), and is average passing. It should not be compared to the Brady offense because it is apples and oranges.

They haven't played a great defense yet though so we'll see what happens then.

my point is, it is different but in the end, globally it produces the same number of points. With the best rushing attack in the league, one of the best O-Line and a quarterback who is consider by some media people, a potential mvp.

last year, we had a bad O-line, no running game and a bad Brady according to you and the result in term of point is pretty much the same.

the team last year with the same Oline and rushing attack as this year would have been in the AFC championship game at least. Brady is one of the best play action passer in the game and a running game last year would have made a huge difference

Last edited:
If Cam was playing behind last year's line, he'd already be dead.
I agree with this, even being among the minority who prefers Brady being with the Bucs over the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST