PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McAdoo and Jerry Reese get the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Marvin Lewis is at the end of his ride also, he pretty much admitted it last night.

So if McDaniels were to be offered both, what would he choose.. a flashy NY job with a mediocre QB and some moody talent, or a midwest job with a mediocre QB and some thugs????? Tough call, who is has a better chance at the helm Manning or the "Red Rifle"??

BB should make McDaniels and Caserio available for a 1st round pick, that would go up Goodell's ass about 5 miles..

did jerry reese ever actually have a good draft class?

Looks like Marvin Lewis is at the end of his ride also, he pretty much admitted it last night.

So if McDaniels were to be offered both, what would he choose.. a flashy NY job with a mediocre QB and some moody talent, or a midwest job with a mediocre QB and some thugs????? Tough call, who is has a better chance at the helm Manning or the "Red Rifle"??

BB should make McDaniels and Caserio available for a 1st round pick, that would go up Goodell's ass about 5 miles..
Can't do that. If Josh leaves Pat's get zip. Same with Caserio.

No way McD goes to Cincinnati. Mike Brown makes the personnel decisions and is a cheap prick.

The Giants job is a real possibility for Josh. Detroit will also be available and Quinn is the GM there.

I think Caserio likes it here. He's had GM interviews and has removed him from consideration every single time.

Where was Mara when McAdoo announced almost an entire week ahead that Eli wouldnt start ? I am just confused how McAdoo (who was a dead coach walking anyway) can just make a decision to sit Eli and then be essentially fired for it a week later. It seems weirdly chaotic..
Not just "weirdly chaotic," but rather "perfectly Machiavellian."

It's now coming out in the Tabloids down here that Mara actually had agreed well in advance to benching Eli, perhaps outright telling McAdoo to do so.

But, when it all went south, Mara's first reaction was to blame it all on McAdoo and say the equivalent of, "Who, me?"

Yesterday he finally admitted to his role but is trying to spin it that the Eli benching had "nothing to do" with his firing the HC and GM.
My guess is that McAdoo or someone else had threatened to go public with the truth.

There is now intense pressure on Mara and Tisch to "get it right" with the new hires, which makes it more likely that they'll do something "safe" and hire people already known to the Giants organization, which should keep Josh and Caserio safely in New England.

It's now coming out in the Tabloids down here that Mara actually had agreed well in advance to benching Eli, perhaps outright telling McAdoo to do so.

But, when it all went south, Mara's first reaction was to blame it all on McAdoo and say the equivalent of, "Who, me?"

Yesterday he finally admitted to his role but is trying to spin it that the Eli benching had "nothing to do" with his firing the HC and GM.
My guess is that McAdoo or someone else had threatened to go public with the truth.

There is now intense pressure on Mara and Tisch to "get it right" with the new hires, which makes it more likely that they'll do something "safe" and hire people already known to the Giants organization, which should keep Josh and Caserio safely in New England.
I disagree. After this PR disaster and train wreck of a season, Mara MUST make Caserio and Josh a priority.

Anyone else would be a consolation prize

I think Josh's tenure here is directly tied to Brady's playing career.

He seems to have done fairly well in the draft since becoming the Gints GM in 2007:

New York Giants All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com
He's mainly being blamed for the last five seasons and particularly for not realizing that last year's 11--5 was due 95% to the D and for being complacent and not improving the O-Line this off season, among other things. Except for last season, they are 30--36 since winning SB XLVI (41--41 with last Season), with one playoff game (a loss). The Giants' D was something like #2 in the League last year, but the Offense was #23 and dropped to #31 this year. Eli is definitely fading fast, but, ironically, this whole mess has probably bought him another season.

I guess I should have said "at best weirdly chaotic" because my point the entire time was that Mara just wanted a clean break from Eli without looking like the ****head that pulled the plug. So he scapegoated the people he would have fired anyway into doing it for him.

That being said if he is back to being a starter now all of this is essentially for nothing and he still will have to make a clean break in the offseason making him look even more like a buffoon for screwing with Elis starting streak for no reason at all.

I disagree. After this PR disaster and train wreck of a season, Mara MUST make Caserio and Josh a priority.

Anyone else would be a consolation prize
You might be right, but that's not "New York Think."

He seems to have done fairly well in the draft since becoming the Gints GM in 2007:

New York Giants All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Most of his first round picks have been poor.

He drafted two players very high at tackle, both of which can’t play the position in the nfl. Never did anything to fix it because he has an ego and that would be admitting his picks are bad.

His picks in 2-7 aren’t good enough to account for his first round misses

I guess I should have said "at best weirdly chaotic" because my point the entire time was that Mara just wanted a clean break from Eli without looking like the ****head that pulled the plug. So he scapegoated the people he would have fired anyway into doing it for him.

That being said if he is back to being a starter now all of this is essentially for nothing and he still will have to make a clean break in the offseason making him look even more like a buffoon for screwing with Elis starting streak for no reason at all.
that's pretty much exactly right.
Eli's finished, but, even though the average fan down here doesn't like him anymore, the Giants succeeded in making him a martyr.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
I don’t buy that Eli is done. Not going to carry a team. He never has nor will he ever do that. Still think he has good football left in the right situation

He's mainly being blamed for the last five seasons and particularly for not realizing that last year's 11--5 was due 95% to the D and for being complacent and not improving the O-Line this off season, among other things. Except for last season, they are 30--36 since winning SB XLVI (41--41 with last Season), with one playoff game (a loss). The Giants' D was something like #2 in the League last year, but the Offense was #23 and dropped to #31 this year. Eli is definitely fading fast, but, ironically, this whole mess has probably bought him another season.

The giants defense was historically good last year but nobody will remember that 20 years from now because they didn’t win anything. No way in hell they should have been that good for as much as they were on the field

I don’t buy that Eli is done. Not going to carry a team. He never has nor will he ever do that. Still think he has good football left in the right situation
Giving him more than 3 plays and two formations to work with would be a start...

I listened to last Breer's podcast which aired after the benching and before the firing and he already had McAdoo as a dead man walking.

He pointed out how tolerant McAdoo was of ODB's various actions flouting his position ( the trip to MIA in the off day before the playoffs was excused, the blowing off of OTAs was excused, the dog peeing incident was tolerated without punishment, etc ) yet was so intolerant of Eli ( example: calling him out for not getting a play off in time by saying he expected a veteran QB to be able to do that ) especially given his stature in NYC. Then, of course, benching him for Geno Freaking Smith? That was never gonna fly. Yes, Mara might have made him do it, but McAdoo didn't stand his ground so he got the axe and looked like a douche in the process.

Basically Breer said McAdoo didn't have what it takes to be a head coach.

And Lombardi shared the same opinion. He said he had McAdoo in the office for 3 hours when he was a coaching candidate in CLE and that he just didn't have what it takes.

That's it from Podcast Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back